Implemented

Customer names - Far from an ideal thread title

• 25 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 4294 replies

I’ve started noticing more and more the use of customers surnames or user names as a title for a new topic. Totally meaningless to anyone searching for matches to what they have a query on.

Wondered if there’s a way, when they start typing the name for their title, a message pops up to say “unsuitable thread title - please do not use names”. I think it may be impossible actually, but thought I’d ask. 

13 replies

Yes @Bev I spotted that too! Odd trend. 

I’m guessing that it takes one new community Member to do it, then someone else new comes along, sees it and thinks that’s what theyre ‘supposed to do’.  So they do the same. And then another new Member comes along….

Maybe…. :thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I think you’re spot on there, Marc, guess they would think it was the norm 🤷‍♀️

Belisha beacon. I wish I was called that!

Top name idea

Hey @Bev 

We’ve been scratching our heads over this one, and I think we’ve got it! 

In ‘start a new conversation’, the section where you can write the title of your post is worded ‘enter title here’. This could cause confusion as to what ‘title’ is referring to… 

‘enter title’ when starting a new conversation

We could make this clearer - for example, changing the wording to ‘enter post subject here’ or ‘enter the title of your post here’, what do you reckon? :thinking:

haha, could be. My two-penneth:

Topic Title

Summarise what you are posting about

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Have a few suggested presets?

Meter readings

Switching into Pure Planet

Refund not received

Smart meter

yada yada

Something Else (type your own summary of your post here)

Or will that encourage laziness?

and another one, is this an epidemic?

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/mrs-mary-ebanks-11152?postid=63976#post63976

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Gosh Nat 🙀🙀. Hadn’t looked at it like that! Bet you’re absolutely right! Yeah, prob best to change it to “Subject title” Please enter a brief line here to tell us what your post is about. 

Whilst I was dozing off to sleep last night, it struck me! After that I had this idea too:

Use terminology from emails. It’s a Subject!

It’s perhaps worth matching the placeholder text to the same faint colour as in the Description. At the moment it looks too bold.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Just use the word “Subject”.

Talking of names, look how often people tell you their age in their email address and some don’t realise they have done it!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Belisha beacon. I wish I was called that!

Top name idea

Belisha Beacons used to be very very common at Zebra Crossings but not so much now. We still have them though. 

Just use the word “Subject”.

Talking of names, look how often people tell you their age in their email address and some don’t realise they have done it!

Took the words right out of my mouth 🤣

Yeah, birth years in email addresses (or passwords) is way too common.

They’ve just installed a new zebra crossing at a local school, complete with extension on top for street lights. Looks weird...

Hey @25 quid @G4RHL 

Loving the chat about password setting - just to let you know I’ve moved it to a new thread, as it’s a really interesting convo and didn’t want it to get lost in the Ideas thread :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :grin:  

I’ve changed this now - let’s see if that helps! :raised_hands:

Enter ‘subject’ of post