Implemented

Could you pay less? Carbon offset gas tariff message on statement.

• 16 August 2020
  • 22 replies

I’ve noticed on two different accounts that they both suggest on Page 3:

Renewable electricity
Good news — you're on our cheapest tariff. We'll let you know if this changes.

Carbon offset gas
You could save £24 (£72 on other account) a year by changing to '100% Green 12m Fixed'. This is currently our cheapest fixed 12 month tariff.

To change your tariff, tap 'Tariff and usage' in your account — it'll take two minutes.

However, both accounts already state on Page 2 that the tariff is:  100% Green 12m Fixed

Seems like the promo is erroneously suggesting changing gas to an already active tariff! It doesn’t suggest changing the electricity. 

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And it says you are on the cheapest tariff, then tells you that you can save by switching…

I raised this with @Marc  last month - he was going to get the marketing people to look into it. It damages the credibility of the whole statement, in my view.

Stephen

And it says you are on the cheapest tariff, then tells you that you can save by switching…

I raised this with @Marc  last month - he was going to get the marketing people to look into it. It damages the credibility of the whole statement, in my view.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

I searched before posting, but didn’t see another post… I agree, it’s confusing and makes PP appear incompetent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I believe it’s now ofgem mandatory to have words on the statement telling the customer “You may be able to save money by switching tariff/provider.” (not verbatim but you get the idea)  

That is probably the root cause of this undisambiguated issue.

(I love long words even if they’re wrong)

I think that’s likely covered by the next sentence:

Already on 100% Green 12m Fixed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

good point, I should have checked. Yes I agree it’s very basic and sloppy. It looks like the trapping was only done on the electricity part of the account.

Hey @25 quid 

Good spot and we absolutely agree! 

We’re currently working on this - the issue is the statement not differentiating between, say, the 12 month tariff available in June versus the 12 month tariff that is currently running. 

So, ideally the statement would say along the lines of ‘100% Green 12m Fixed August’, for example. 

Thanks for flagging this @25 quid @stephenrand :thumbsup: We’ll let you know when this is updated :slight_smile:

Thanks @Nataly, odd it only effects gas.

Hi everyone, 

Just an update to say this is now implemented :relaxed:  

The message will now read, for example:

Renewable electricity
You could save £23 a year by changing to '100% Green 12m Fixed Sep20 v1'. This is currently our cheapest fixed 12 month tariff.
Carbon offset gas
Good news — you're on our cheapest tariff. We'll let you know if this changes.

To change your tariff, tap 'Tariff and usage' in your account — it'll take two minutes.

The cheapest tariff message applies to both gas and electricity separately due to Ofgem statement regulations. 
I think in your example @25 quid it just happens that electricity unit rates had been steadily increasing, sooner than gas unit rates. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 2

Just downloaded my recent statements and noticed there’s a bug in the wording.

In the section “Could you pay less?” on the third page, the entry for gas is correct, but the entry for electricity is wrong.

Gas: “ Good news — you're on our cheapest tariff. . We'll let you know if this changes.

Electricity: “ You could save £33 a year by changing to '100% Green 12m Fixed'. This is
currently our cheapest fixed 12 month tariff.

Since I am already on '100% Green 12m Fixed’ -- as confirmed earlier in the statement -- both entries should be the same (especially since it’s a Dual Fuel tariff!).

This has been the situation since I changed to the Fixed Tariff in July.

If there’s a Bug Bounty, you already have my bank details. :o)

Userlevel 5

@Nataly 

Hi seems to be a hiccup in the system, if you are on the tariff then I would just ignore the wording.  I have tagged one of the team in who can help to see if this is a bigger issue.

Regards

That’s just what this thread originally raised as an issue and apparently it was fixed. It seems the bug maybe isn’t quite dead yet...

Hey @EdJogg 

Welcome to the Community, and nice one for posting in our Ideas Board! :ok_hand:

You’re spot on - this was an issue on statements which didn’t differentiate between tariffs. 

I’ve merged your post into a previous idea from @25 quid who also spotted this - happy to say we’ve now implemented this idea. 

From your September statements onward you’ll see the change - any statements produced before then would contain the incorrect wording. (I also asked our billing team to double-check your statements to make sure, they noted the incorrect wording in your July/August statements, and the correction in September) Thanks for posting to let us know!

& thanks to @Rds261189 for flagging :slight_smile:

If there’s a Bug Bounty, you already have my bank details. :o)

Ooh, bug bounties….

Could be interesting (expensive!!!!) :laughing:

Userlevel 2

Hey @EdJogg 

[...]

From your September statements onward you’ll see the change - any statements produced before then would contain the incorrect wording. (I also asked our billing team to double-check your statements to make sure, they noted the incorrect wording in your July/August statements, and the correction in September) Thanks for posting to let us know!

[...]

Right, having now  double-checked I can confirm that the statement dated 13th October does indeed have the correct wording, although that dated 13th September still has the old wording. I downloaded several which did include the problem, and have just discovered I added an incorrect date to the filename of the 13 Oct PDF when I saved it, so I must have opened the wrong Foxit tab as reference.

I did look in this forum section (and back about a month) but did not spot this thread.

No matter. My contribution nicely book-ends the original report by confirming the bug is fixed in the field!

Nice one for getting stuck in @EdJogg 

It’s great to get feedback! Much appreciated :blush:

This issue still seems confusing / misleading.

the statement says:

Could you pay less?
Renewable electricity
You could save £11 a year by changing to
'Elec 100% Green Direct 12m Fixed Nov20
v1'. This is currently our cheapest fixed 12
month tariff.
Carbon offset gas
You could save £15 a year by changing to
'Gas 100% Green Direct 12m Fixed Nov20
month tariff.
To change your tariff, tap 'Tariff and
usage' in your account — it'll take two
minutes.
Remember it could be worth considering
changing your supplier.
Our fuel mix
April 2019 — March 2020
11%
89%
Could you pay less?
Renewable electricity
You could save £11 a year by changing to
'Elec 100% Green Direct 12m Fixed Nov20
month tariff.
Carbon offset gas
You could save £15 a year by changing to
'Gas 100% Green Direct 12m Fixed Nov20
month tariff.
To change your tariff, tap 'Tariff and
usage' in your account — it'll take two
minutes.

but when I go to 'Tariff and usage'   to change, it says i have a £60 exit fee.
Other companies I’ve been with didn’t charge exit fees for changing tariff.. maybe this has changed now, but:

Is the saving calculated before or after the exit fees?.

If not, this is a £34 increase, not a saving!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All companies with fixed tariffs charged exit fees unless your on Flexible tarrif when they do not. Thats been around for many years now. PP only introduced fix tariffs in the summer but their flexible non exit fee tariff is available allowing choice. Its all very complex on how suppliers purchase energy in advance and the risks that go with it. Hence many suppliers going bust. Go fixed with a leaving penalty or remain with a flex without and leave anytime. 

This issue still seems confusing / misleading.

but when I go to 'Tariff and usage'   to change, it says i have a £60 exit fee.
Other companies I’ve been with didn’t charge exit fees for changing tariff.. maybe this has changed now, but:

Is the saving calculated before or after the exit fees?.

If not, this is a £34 increase, not a saving!

I agree. Scope for clarification I’d say… 

I suspect the text hasn’t been updated since the introduction of exit fees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

All companies with fixed tariffs charged exit fees unless your on Flexible tarrif when they do not. 

@Strutt G That is most definitely not the case. 

and I think PP should do the right thing here and allow internal tariff changes without penalty where the lock-in is extended. Other companies do this. I’m still miffed that this hasn’t happened. I suggested it when fixed tariffs were offered. I see little to no downside whatsoever as the trade off is time against any rate savings but more to the point customer loyalty.

Very poor show in my opinion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All companies with fixed tariffs charged exit fees unless your on Flexible tarrif when they do not. 

A Ok@woz someone pull that wrong answer clanger noise thing you get on some game shows...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

All companies with fixed tariffs charged exit fees unless your on Flexible tarrif when they do not. Thats been around for many years now. PP only introduced fix tariffs in the summer but their flexible non exit fee tariff is available allowing choice. Its all very complex on how suppliers purchase energy in advance and the risks that go with it. Hence many suppliers going bust. Go fixed with a leaving penalty or remain with a flex without and leave anytime. 

Definitely not right there @Strutt G when I was with Eon I changed tariff (with them) quite often and was never charged an exit fee.  I wasn't exiting, I  was just changing tariff. 

@woz I agree, I do think PP should reconsider this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

A Ok@woz someone pull that wrong answer clanger noise thing you get on some game shows...

@Strutt G haha...if you insist…

https://youtu.be/JzAO9kaf-lI?t=16