We're looking into it

Could we have access to a 'dummy wattbot'?

• 14 November 2020
  • 12 replies

Perhaps it’s just me, but when I answer some questions here, I’d find it ‘useful’ to know how ‘WattBot’ would respond to the advice we give the member.

Therefore, I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a ‘motbock’ where we could ask questions, up to the point where we’d be put through to ‘the team’ without actually being ‘put through to the team.’?

It may also help if people got ‘stuck’ because maybe then we could see what they see.

12 replies

It may be because it’s late but I’m not sure I understand the concept entirely.

I think most people would prefer to wait and receive a response from an actual team (or community) member. Wattbott has never answered any of my questions, and searching in the community for answers can also be a painful and frustrating experience. 

I’m not really sure how adding another mockbot layer would improve the experience for the end user who is really just looking for some help/advice from pureplanet (and not a bot).

Hi @myauntie 

My suggestion isn’t aimed at your average ‘end-user’ - it’s aimed mainly at assisting the people who regularly appear on the ‘Members Leaderboard’ -  which is largely composed of those members who spend a lot of time trying to assist the ‘average end-user’ find the answers they are looking for.

I can’t comment for everyone else, but when I try to answer someone’s question, particularly when we’re trying to advise how to use WattBot, I can’t more often than not, know what answer someone’s going to get to a given question, unless I were to type the same thing into my WattBot - so I have to advise, and wait for someone to come back to me, and hope I understand what they say they see.

Therefore, to my mind at least, it would help if I could:

A: See what they are likely outcome of some queries to WattBot are.

B: Provide screenshots of what they should see, if they do certain things, without having to provide personal information.

So that, if for example, someone asked ‘I want an EV charging point’ - I could type it into ‘motbock’ and see what answer, or range of answers, they’d get, screenshot it, and post it in my response - or if ‘motbock’s’ answer is no help, save time and suggest they type ‘message the team.’

I’m not even sure if this can be done, or is worth the effort, but I thought there was at least no harm in asking.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I know I’m going to regret this but  however well intentioned the suggestion, this is supposed to be a community not customer services...(with the emphasis on supposed to be).

Also it will confuse as most of the time the guidance often culminates in “go to wattbot in your account”, which would then morph into try mockbot first, so it’s a big no from me, sorry….

There is however a however, the reason for needing something like that is that the search facility in the community isn’t up to scratch (in my opinion).

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The impression we have, given the number of grumbles about it, is that Watbot already is a dummy!

The impression we have, given the number of grumbles about it, is that Watbot already is a dummy!

Which was kind of my point - what we expect WattBot to say when we advise someone ‘Use WattBot’ may not be what ‘they actually get as an answer’ - I thought it would help to know what actually happens if we advise:

‘Ask WattBot….’

Before, not after, the member asks the question, particularly if the question is ‘unusual’ - otherwise, sooner or later, everything’s going to end up as:

‘Open WattBot, type “Message the Team” ‘

However, as most answers so far seem to assume I’m suggesting we send ‘send the questioner to mockbot’ (which I must emphasise, I most definitely was not) -  I guess I’m alone in the fact that knowing ‘what would WattBot do’ is helpful.

Please scrap this suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I wouldn't scrap the idea for it is on the right path. Right that you raised it. The problem is WattBot is a singularly unhelpful system for users, particularly, very particularly, new users. 

I don't mind the help button giving a user the opportunity to look at FAQs but not to take you there or something similar whenever you ask a question. In the past when I asked a question I would get silly unrelated answers and that gives the user the impression the service provider does not care.

Yes to have FAQs but please a proper facility to ask for help without it being diverted off somewhere and without the need to “Message the Team”. From the outset I thought that was the oddest thing I had come across. Particularly when in the early days you had no idea the facility existed.

The system should be one where, if a user wishes to ask a question, there is an easy on screen facility to do that and then a form drops down to input user info and to ask the question. And please, behind the form, it should be configured to email the user with the question just asked so he or she knows it has got through. Another please. The system at base should also highlight to staff if there are unanswered questions so that people are not ignored.

Change the name. WattBot has nothing to do with a derrière. If you look up what it means the following comes up:

“Wattbot is a free web-based energy expert that gives homeowners personalized advice on the most cost-effective ways to reduce their energy bills. It sells highly qualified permission-based leads to renewable energy and energy efficiency service providers, and subscriptions to residential energy market intelligence to manufacturers, retailers, and financial institutions.”

That has absolutely nothing to do with how PP employ it.

Change the name. WattBot has nothing to do with a derrière. If you look up what it means the following comes up:

“Wattbot is a free web-based energy expert that gives homeowners personalized advice on the most cost-effective ways to reduce their energy bills. It sells highly qualified permission-based leads to renewable energy and energy efficiency service providers, and subscriptions to residential energy market intelligence to manufacturers, retailers, and financial institutions.”

That has absolutely nothing to do with how PP employ it.

That’s because ‘Wattbot’ originally fitted that description - however, that company has been defunct since 2010.

WattBot from Pure Planet, so far as I can ascertain, has nothing to do with the defunct tech start-up:

Perhaps choosing what is practically the name of a defunct energy start-up for their AI was not Pure Planet’s best marketing decision.

I guess they are stuck with it now, although you could argue Dane Peterson, Jay Steele, and Joe Wilkerson all from, or formerly from, Indiana University may question the use of the name of their iPhone App.
https://thegreatsunra.com/images/energymonitor/sdc128-petersen.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

They are not stuck with it. Just revitalise it, make it a useful part of the app, and simply call it “HELP”!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I suggested a long while ago they should change it to Joulie (the beautifully pan-sexual energy adviser)

it was ignored…

Just to add to my previous comments it’s evident from many of the repeated questions on here that most customers either don’t search or can’t find the answers if they have searched.

Question: Should I spend 10 minutes looking for the answer or should I spend 2 minutes and post a simple question with most of the relevant information missing and hope to get a reply?

I get it...

Question: Should I spend 10 minutes looking for the answer or should I spend 2 minutes and post a simple question with most of the relevant information missing and hope to get a reply?

I get it...

Unfortunately, I doubt anything Pure Planet is going to do is ever going to change that, some people will see a list of results, quite often long and full of possibly unrelated answers, and decide either:

A: No-one ever, has asked their question before.
B: It’s too much effort trying to narrow down the search.

I’ve experienced it so often elsewhere that it barely even registers now, what exactly can we do about it beyond trying to help? This is after all, a ‘Community’ linked to a business, that business does not need new members seeking help being ‘chastised,’ no matter how deserving some members may be.

About the only other thing I can think of is that @Marc and @Nataly start merging all ‘related’ threads into less threads, so that there would be less results - but then threads are likely to become confusing as posts from different dates are all mixed together, possibly losing the link to the original question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Gwyndy 

" I guess I’m alone in the fact that knowing ‘what would WattBot do’ is helpful."

No you're not!

Stephen

Hey @Gwyndy 

Thanks for posting this idea.

It reminded me of another idea, currently on hold, asking if we could offer some pre-release app testing. Personally, I’m all for it, but I know there’s some hesitation from m’learned colleagues in our tech team, as members data could, potentially, be exposed.

As you know, we also have some behind-the-scenes tests of planned WattBot ‘journeys’ we’re buildling, and these are tested using a tool called Botmock. For this, we tend to ask Members in private DMs. The reason for that is that the Botmock tool is quite basic, and there also might be some confusion about what’s the real WattBot, and what’s not. (nice tongue-twister there!)

So for me the best way to do this seems, for now at least, to post about specific user-testing of designs, card-sorting and wireframes, which we did just last week and got a fantastic response from Community Members. I know that the design team we’re working with on these concepts have been really grateful for the input.