We're looking into it

Communication to Smart Meter customers when the automatic readings are errr...automatic?

• 22 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 11233 replies

I don’t know if this already happens, but if it doesn’t is it feasible to email customers when their smart meter starts sending readings automatically?

If it already happens apologies for the idea.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@woz 

As far as I know it doesn't, but you do stop receiving reminders to submit readings when the meters can be accessed, although the reminder still shows on the app home page for some reason.

You also have a notification on the readings page that looks like this 

I think the reverse situation is more of an issue. When contact is lost with the smart meter, and automatic readings are not possible, it would be useful to be reminded or requested to send a manual reading. This avoids an estimated reading and possibly subsequent consolidated statement the next month to sort it all out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I think the reverse situation is more of an issue. When contact is lost with the smart meter, and automatic readings are not possible, it would be useful to be reminded or requested to send a manual reading. This avoids an estimated reading and possibly subsequent consolidated statement the next month to sort it all out.

@Mark Pocock 

Does the customer then revert to receiving requests for readings?

You normally wouldn’t get a consolidated statement if it was merely an update due to readings (assuming no change in pricing).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Do smart meters lose contact with the " mother ship "?, we often see questions about loss of  connection with the IHD's, but I don't think I've seen one that says it's not sending data ( unless you've switched which becomes another issue )

Both of my meters lost contact for the mid-March reading so i got estimates that were way too high. By mid-April I didn't even get up to the March electric estimate so that required a consolidated statement to cancel the previous one.

I would expect to eventually end up with a smart reading, get notified all is ok (via the proposal in this thread) and go back to accurate statements based on readings and not estimates.

I have no idea why contact was lost and PP has had to attempt a remote reset. My gas meter seems ok, though PP took a smart reading a day early and not on the actual day. My electric meter still doesnt seem happy though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I wonder if the DCC have to inform energy companies when the remote reading fails? 

It seems to me that there is a distinct lack of readily available information (information suitable for consumers )on who is responsible for what.

The DCC’s licence and code is regulated by Ofgem, good luck with trying to dig out the relevant information. 

Perhaps the idea needs amending to 

I don’t know if this already happens, but if it doesn’t is it feasible to email customers when their smart meter starts sending readings automatically or resumes sending readings after stopping sending them for any reason.

If it already happens apologies for the idea.

Consider the idea amended.

Good idea @woz and thanks @Duppy @Mark Pocock for getting stuck in.

This does need to be done! At the moment there’s no notification. The reason is that we need various systems to talk to one another - inc DCC etc - so that this isn’t a manual process.