Changes to Amazon rewards system

• 18 October 2018
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 11301 replies
Idea Status: Implemented

I have an idea...The referral link system seems to create a lot of uncertainty and confusion as to whether it's worked.
(I also believe it's open to abuse and is paid too quickly, bearing in mind that most other cashback and referral systems don't pay out immediately, and for good reason.)

The process of starting the quote with a link should generate an extra line in the quote which details that the quote has come from a referral link, and when that isn't the case the line should simply not be there.
That way, when someone has used a link they will know it's attached to their quote, and if they accept the quote and switch it follows through.
For those that haven't used a link, I don't believe it's advantageous for pp to prompt them to do so (that's an opinion and a whole new discussion) and they won't be prompted to do so because the line just won't be there.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
And to digress slightly, I don’t like the increase in new members starting threads to say Use my referral blar blar blar and we’ll both get 25 notes 👎👎👎👎👎👎. It’s not bloody Bulb, and we don’t want it to get that way. I don’t likey that 👎😡
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I have often wondered.
Are there any serial switchers a group who keep switching in and out with friends family and other willing parties. After all some will try anything to make some easy cash.
I agree with you bev allowing the use of public posting to give out links kinda goes against the whole principal of the idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Spot on Jon 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Agreed
Subtle avatar Bev! had to think for a second there...
Bev;14001:
And to digress slightly, I don’t like the increase in new members starting threads to say Use my referral blar blar blar and we’ll both get 25 notes ������������������������������������. It’s not bloody Bulb, and we don’t want it to get that way. I don’t likey that ������������

- - - Updated - - -

I've already suggested it should be limited to one every 18 months (choose period) if someone leaves (tracked by name/mpan then they can't change email).

Also if the request is retrospective with no referral evidence and PP are going to say yes why not compromise and agree to for example credit the bill with £15 or a £15 voucher? (I agree that sometimes it is a genuine oversight or the tracking didn't work, so yes there are merits to some for the full voucher retrospectively)
Jon1;14009:
I have often wondered.
Are there any serial switchers a group who keep switching in and out with friends family and other willing parties. After all some will try anything to make some easy cash.
I agree with you bev allowing the use of public posting to give out links kinda goes against the whole principal of the idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
@Bev
Surprises me that george clooney as danny ocean is not the new avatar...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
haha brilliant, but Bev would be so moonstruck with her avatar she wouldn't be able to type...

edit
and that bl**dy nespresso coffee doesn't work, I still don't have a Rolex and I've drunk loads..
edit
and from a well known coffee ad just received in my email...

Jon1;14029:
@Bev
Surprises me that george clooney as danny ocean is not the new avatar...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
What a treat! Thanks Jon and Woz 👍😂, what a beauty 💓💓💓💓💓💓😂👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Still getting exasperated more and more by referral code confusion etc. I seriously think it’s time for PP to totally banish the Amazon voucher incentive; after all, PP in itself, with its fab tariff and fab app base, is 100% ENOUGH to interest newbies in a switch, just like it grabbed us.

So, yes it’s lovely to get that voucher as a BONUS but it certainly isn’t what drew me to join. Far far far from it, just as if it were to be banished, it shouldn’t (and wouldn’t) deter potential joiners.

The best voucher for me, came in the form of that absolute surprise, as a personal thank you for being helpful contributor to the community etc, and think all here received same 🤫if I recall, so one offs like that mean soooo much more IMO 👍💝.

i also, and may be being cynical, but don’t think I am, think there’s a lot of potential, if not already happening, for those wanting to abuse it as we said earlier. Today a guy citing NINE referrals! WTF Really?!?!

PP doesn’t need incentives like this; those that do their research, will see how fab PP is on its own merits, and switch regardless 👍👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Two posts in the community by people who have referred others (one referred 9 people!) before their energy was switched and both of their switches were blocked.
This raises an issue for those people who are now concerned they won't get their vouchers if they are unsuccessful in joining PP and even if they are successful they may end up with a different code if they have to re-apply, so the old and new code will need to be associated.
PP must have thought of this?
The fair thing to do is give them the vouchers whether or not they end up being a PP customer, assuming the people they referred switch in successfully.

Isn't there a maximum limit for referral rewards? There should be if there isn't
The solution is very simple, don't give people the referral code until their switch is active.

I can almost hear the answer now...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
...and to add to this I've just discovered that PP have a refer webpage which doesn't appear to rely on being a member.
I'm getting really bad vibes about this whole referral system sending out the wrong message. I really think PP aren't doing themselves any favours.
I would strongly suggest as an immediate change that referrals are limited to 4 per person. Even that will be abused, but it's a form of damage limitation.

Not to mention (but I just did) that on the green and ethical measurement scale Amazon probably don't score too well, but that's a whole new argument about what the acceptable alternatives might be. (I declare here that I have used Amazon myself).

How about offering the incentive as a credit against energy costs for members (notwithstanding the first sentence above). That would be a win-win, because it would effectively support renewable energy.

As ever I stand in the expectation of being shot at...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Or our original idea re charity maybe? Even four per person is too high IMO Woz, I think ONE max if there’s a reward to the customer, to stop the exploitation and abuse 😡cos it’s obvious it’s going on 👎
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Bev agreed, have a read of this and this
Bev;14203:
Still getting exasperated more and more by referral code confusion etc. I seriously think it’s time for PP to totally banish the Amazon voucher incentive; after all, PP in itself, with its fab tariff and fab app base, is 100% ENOUGH to interest newbies in a switch, just like it grabbed us.

So, yes it’s lovely to get that voucher as a BONUS but it certainly isn’t what drew me to join. Far far far from it, just as if it were to be banished, it shouldn’t (and wouldn’t) deter potential joiners.

The best voucher for me, came in the form of that absolute surprise, as a personal thank you for being helpful contributor to the community etc, and think all here received same ������if I recall, so one offs like that mean soooo much more IMO ������������.

i also, and may be being cynical, but don’t think I am, think there’s a lot of potential, if not already happening, for those wanting to abuse it as we said earlier. Today a guy citing NINE referrals! WTF Really?!?!

PP doesn’t need incentives like this; those that do their research, will see how fab PP is on its own merits, and switch regardless ������������
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Exactly Woz, that’s the two threads that initiated my post 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
So, I think scrap the reward going to the customer, but instead, if they refer a friend etc, replace the Amazon 25 notes voucher with a “Choose from one of our five nominated charities” .

So as we’ve discussed the potential of this before, just basically have five charities each quarter (maybe Marc selects the top 5 members from the rewards points monthly scheme, to each nominate a charity) , then those five charities stay in place for the quarter. End of quarter, all those that referred and opted a charity, have their £25 into chosen charity pot, and it’s paid over.

Next quarter, five new members chosen by Marc, to nominate a charity, and so on.

Fits more with the PP ethos, and stops this annoying abuse and exploitation of such a generous provider. Just my opinion, but it needs to stay classy with kind members, not greedy so and so’s 😡👎.

PP can still have random £25 or £5, £10 whatever vouchers if wanted to keep that going, like before, as one offs, but not for referrals 👎
Hi all

Thanks for this.

We're keeping a close eye on referrals. People are definitely attracted to us by the Amazon voucher referral, and there's been a lot of media coverage of people making loads of money through these promotions.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/meet-super-referrers-have-made-thousands-recommending-favourite/

Not everyone is joining Pure Planet because they care about the planet and want to support renewable energy.

But it is also worth remembering that for every 'serial switcher' there are a bunch of people who genuinely are happy to stay with PP after they've switched and have got their £25 voucher.

There's a few things happening this end. Firstly we're looking at the whole 'member get member' referral system and what we can do to improve it. (To stop vouchers not appearing and so on).

I'm also having a think about how to best manage this in the community. I'm leaning towards creating a new thread which outlines what people need to do if they haven't received their voucher, or can't see their referral code in the app. And promoting this thread on the homepage. And then adding any new threads that people create to it. So at least it's all in one place, and other members can ignore it!
I'll probably also start deleting any posts which are just people promoting their own referral code.

Thoughts on that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Huge huge huge 👍to the deleting promotion of own codes, OMG that’d please me sooooo much! I don’t even know why it angers me soooo much but it really does 😂. Just spells BULB 👎👎👎👎and tacky.

Love the one thread where others can ignore it, Marc 👍👍👍👍. Again, spot on, cos sick of seeing endless daily referral issues 🙄🙄🙄🙄which I don’t think were ever there before, unless I just didn’t notice🤔.

thanks Marc 👍

PS Thanks for the avatar in place of the cog in top right 👍👍👍👍👍👍. Love it! Simple things! 😁
Bev;14528:

PS Thanks for the avatar in place of the cog in top right Love it! Simple things!

1st prize to @Bev for being the first to spot the new avatar ;)
BTW it doesn't show on mobile (yet)
Userlevel 6
Although I'm new on block, the whole referral thing, in terms of abuse, does my head in. I came in genuinely through a comparison site, looking for the best energy deal. If they then offer "cashback" that's fair enough.

But, the "terms" for the Amazon incentive do seem quite clear, ie to only share with people you know and not to add to emails or websites as this is considered spamming.

I now realise the internet, especially Trust Pilot is full of the damn codes. Maybe I'm too naive, but it ain't right, it ain't fair, and its against the terms.

It could be quite simple, each PP member is allowed to send out X emails and only if that original recipient signs up. the voucher is then awarded.

BUT, if the business model works for PP and the overall business growth, which benefits us all as customers, then maybe I'm just too sensitive?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
No, you’re spot on Gil, and think most here feel the same 👍
Userlevel 4
Recognise all your concerns, especially lots of codes creeping into the community. :(

We are also very closely monitoring trust pilot to ensure that the majority of our reviews are genuinely driven by feedback on the proposition or service. As a snapshot at 11am today, of the 60 most recent reviews on Trustpilot, 5 contain referral links.

Our long term plan is to redevelop the referral system so that we can offer a wider range of rewards (account credit/ charity donation etc). At that time we could consider @woz 's suggestion of only issuing the referral codes once the Member is on supply. We will also reassess the security, but I can't see us putting a cap on how many people someone could refer.

We do monitor constantly to stop what we would consider fraudulent activity.

Hope that helps, and thanks for all your thoughts 😮
An update from me!
No doubt you'll know that threads about referrals now have their own community section.
I'm deleting referral links from community posts, and that message does seem to be getting through because they're not appearing very much.
Our tech team have done some work on the referral scheme to tighten things up, and we're seeing few people trying it on.
It seems some people do switch solely for the vouchers, not because we can supply them with renewable energy, which depresses me a bit :mad: but it's their right to do so of course!

As @Georgie said, we've got long term plans for more options such as credit to accounts, donating to charities.
It ties in the with the community rewards too. There are different ways our Members can earn rewards, either from referring friends/family or by getting involved in the community, and it makes sense for all of that to be connected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Idea Status: New

Hi Folks,

I couldn't see this in the ideas subjects but apologies if I have missed it and am repeating an idea. Can we consider setting up a reward scheme with a company other than Amazon? Amazon are pretty conspicuous in it's ethical standards regarding not only tax evasion but also how staff seem to be treated.

As an ethical and environmentally conscious company it would be great to see PP team up with a company with ethical values that match those of PP, and there are loads out there, for example www.ethicalsuperstore.com I have been spreading the word about switching to PP and getting a lot of interest until I come to the Amazon vouchers reward scheme and it has been putting some folks off a bit.

Have a great week peeps.
Nanny O
Userlevel 5
Badge
The thing is, a lot of people are attracted to PP partly because of the Amazon vouchers, probably more so than those put off by Amazon.

It would not be a bad idea to offer another alternate rather than only Amazon, so the consumer then has a choice.

On a side note, you have to be careful about calling a company "pretty conspicuous in it's ethical standards" especially when they have a relationship with the platform you are using to comment about them on.

Amazon, and all the other big multi national companies out there, work closely with the HMRC to detail how much tax should be paid according to the rules of the country they are working in. There is a massive amount of discussion across the World in how to effectively take tax from such global companies in a fair way. It does need addressing at a global level though.

Over the course of time, as global discussions continue, the tax situation will be worked out but for the time being I would prefer all those big companies to be in the country as that means people are employed by them, get paid wages (which gets taxed), spend wages (more tax in VAT) etc which is all good for the economy overall.

Hope this does not derail the idea, and just to confirm, offering Amazon and another referral of ethical background as a choice is a great idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Jenam93.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I see what you are saying and I like the idea of having additional choices. I do feel that even more people could be attracted to join PP if an alternative was put in place, or, as you suggest, in addition to. In respect to calling out a company for it's values, I am most definitely speaking on a personal level and feeding back opinions from folks I am encouraging to change to PP, not on behalf of PP at all.

I am sure that big companies do work with HMRC but only after hiding a lot of the profits. Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to get so political.

I am aware that it has also been discussed that at some point in the future that instead of takig the rewards personally, they can be donated to a charity, which is also a great idea. I still intend to encourage folks to join because I like the environmental ethics of PP and love the community but in terms of rewards, I'd rather take non at all and be satisfied with the knowledge folks ahve decided to switch over.
Userlevel 5
Badge
🆙