Implemented

Change to app for gas readings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9693 replies
Idea Status: Implemented

I have a suggestion for a change to the way readings are submitted which involves one (or two) extra button(s) and a little bit of jiggery pokery in the coding...but still largely retains the simplicity.
When you select send a reading it isn't possible to either enter a gas reading without first getting past the send an electric reading, (or to send a gas reading alone, which some may wish to do, so my suggestion is:-

1. A button which says "send a gas reading" at the bottom of the first (electric) send a reading page.
When clicked it would go to the gas reading page.
2. Then upon entering the gas reading and clicking "is this reading is correct" please submit on next page, it goes to the electric reading page which prompts you to fill out those readings before you submit, but allows you to submit without actually filling in the electric readings.

The only snag I can see which still applies as it stands now, is if you go back to the menu before clicking the submit button a prompt to say you haven't actually submitted any readings are you sure you want to leave this page?

My issue is you can't get to the gas section without entering electric readings, but if anyone can suggest a more simple solution?

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
If you only had single fuel, do you still see both electric and gas? That would not be so good.

Do people submit a reading for 1 fuel and not the other? I would always try to do both at the same time but I guess if you used way more of 1 fuel than the other then you might want to submit 1 more regularly so as to get better usage tracking.

If it is a preference to always submit gas first (rather than gas only) then why not have a preferences setting which chooses the order in which they are then always displayed?

Whichever way it gets done, it needs to be crystal clear whether only gas or only electric or both fuel readings have been submitted or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi jenam93
if you have only electric that's all you see, PP don't do gas only, hence why it's evolved like it has.
Two buttons one for gas one gor electric would solve it for me, I agree it needs to be clear that you've submitted only one.
Jenam93;22615:
If you only had single fuel, do you still see both electric and gas? That would not be so good.

Do people submit a reading for 1 fuel and not the other? I would always try to do both at the same time but I guess if you used way more of 1 fuel than the other then you might want to submit 1 more regularly so as to get better usage tracking.

If it is a preference to always submit gas first (rather than gas only) then why not have a preferences setting which chooses the order in which they are then always displayed?

Whichever way it gets done, it needs to be crystal clear whether only gas or only electric or both fuel readings have been submitted or not.
Hi @woz
We're looking into this.
I have a question. Why would you want to send only a gas reading? πŸ˜•
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi marc
at the risk of sounding sarcastic, (I'm promise I'm not being) why wouldn't you only want to send a gas reading?
There are any number of reasons you might want to, perhaps you want to keep track of gas more frequently because it's far less of a constant than electric, maybe it's just not convenient to send a leccy reading at that time. Also I seem to remember a fairly recent post where the meters were a long way apart
The point is you can't get to it (the gas section) without submitting electric readings first, that makes no sense to me.
The two have no relationship with each other save for the fact that you don't supply gas only.
I'm fairly sure that every other supplier I've been with allows update the gas reading independently.
It's no big deal, I can understand to a degree why you've linked them.

Marc;24192:
Hi @woz
We're looking into this.
I have a question. Why would you want to send only a gas reading? πŸ˜•
Hi @woz
Fair enough :)
It's a good point, some of our Members' meters are a fair distance apart.
Nice one, we'll add it to the roadmap. πŸ†™
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
​​​​​​​If no figures are entered into the electric section (no entry in the boxes), then pressing submit could then take you to the gas entry section with a back button if required.
That will allow gas only readings to be submitted.
​​​​​​​
Hi @woz
A quick FYI that I've merged your new post about gas-only readings to the exisitng idea, which is on the roadmap.
Just to avoid duplication and a furrowed brow for yours truly.... πŸ™‚
Also an update that this is now being worked on.
It'll be a way to skip elec readings.
I will share designs when we have some! πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
fair enough it was just a simple way of implementing it. Thanks.
Hey @woz

You'll be pleased to hear that in a couple of weeks time you'll be able to submit a reading for your electricity meter only, your gas meter only, or for both! 😁

This is alongside some other new improvements to entering meter readings - new designs to be posted soon... πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
it needs the following:
Submit readings brings up electricity as default, button under to go to next screen (gas) or submit
If you click submit it asks you if you want to fill in gas, if you click submit again it brings up the readings entered asks you to check

On the gas reading it needs a back button and submit button

if you click submit on gas without having completed electric readings it tells you you can go back to complete electric or submit.
If you go back to complete electric and click submit it shows you what you've filled in on both and ask you to check.
but then I'm sure your solution will be OK whatever it is...

Nataly;49332:
Hey @woz

You'll be pleased to hear that in a couple of weeks time you'll be able to submit a reading for your electricity meter only, your gas meter only, or for both! 😁

This is alongside some other new improvements to entering meter readings - new designs to be posted soon... πŸ‘
Hey @woz

Thanks again for this idea πŸ‘

Happy to say it's now live in today's web and app update (version 8.4.1) - more info here πŸ™‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
​​​​​​​Thanks Marc
I suspect that I'd just love it when a plan works...(that's one for the philosophers)
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚it’s Nat, Woz πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
You okay @woz? 😜
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha...Obviously not Nat (I love unintended alliteration) ...I apologise a momentary lapse out of stupidity there...soz.
Nataly;50887:
You okay @woz? 😜
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Bev;50745:
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚it’s Nat, Woz πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

...​​​​​​​I told you I needed new specs! thanks Bev
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ€“