On the roadmap

App Notifications

• 13 November 2018
  • 13 replies

Badge +2
Idea Status: On the Roadmap
Lenny;14021:
@Marc. It would be great if the app used the Android notification system so that reminders for meter readings etc. appeared in the notification area at the top of the phone. I have an app which replicates the Apple badge icons on Android which makes it even clearer that some action needs to be taken. Thanks!

Marc;14072:
Good morning @Lenny
Yes, double yes! :D
App notifications are on the roadmap, for iOS as well as Android.
It makes perfect sense for an app-only energy provider doesn't it?
Nice one for posting this - it's a reminder that we need to get this done 🆙

Now that app notifications are on the roadmap, how would you like this to work?

For example, I would like a notification from the app when it's time for the monthly meter reading, but not necessarily every time there is a reply to one of my posts. So there needs to be a menu of items that users can choose to be notified about (or not).

What options would you like to see?

13 replies

Thanks for posting this @Lenny
We're thinking along the same lines. Notifications should be for the most important things.
Too many notifications and people might ignore them or turn them off, won't they?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Marc;16641:
Thanks for posting this @Lenny
We're thinking along the same lines. Notifications should be for the most important things.
Too many notifications and people might ignore them or turn them off, won't they?

Definitely Marc. Less is more 👍
Userlevel 6
Notifications for a "New Bill" or "Submit readings" or "Wattbot reply" would be a good start. Unless they already exist, not got that far yet 😕
Hi @Gil @Bev @Lenny

Great suggestions - keep 'em coming!

It's going to be a question of keeping a fine balance between useful and annoying! I'd like to have lots of control for Members - so you can switch on and off which notifications you'd like (meter readings, new statement etc)

And some things that affect all our Members - price rise, price drop etc - do you think those should be notifications?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
How about a wee flag on the Community planet/moon if you have a private message?

Personally I'm not to bothered about people replying to posts, but there could be lengthy periods between checking the Community pages.
Oakbank;19601:
How about a wee flag on the Community planet/moon if you have a private message?

I like that @Oakbank :)
Not everyone will, of course, but it would be user-controlled, like notifications should be!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Oakbank;19601:

Personally I'm not to bothered about people replying to posts, but there could be lengthy periods between checking the Community pages.

I was looking through old ideas to see if it had been mentioned before raising a new one...I love the idea of making more use of the communities planet icon in the app.

Currently it is just a link in..... but if the planet could show numbers (and mini icons?) representing DMs, quotes, posts, replies etc (configurable maybe) it would make it much more useful for actually attracting people to revisit the community.
Jenam93;23725:
I love the idea of making more use of the communities planet icon in the app.

Currently it is just a link in..... but if the planet could show numbers (and mini icons?) representing DMs, quotes, posts, replies etc (configurable maybe) it would make it much more useful for actually attracting people to revisit the community.

Love this @Jenam93
Maybe the notification around the community moon could be a meteor or some other planet theme?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Marc;23855:
Love this @Jenam93
Maybe the notification around the community moon could be a meteor or some other planet theme?

I guess whatever your designers can make look good and function. Plenty of options... meteors, rockets, rings, stars.....etc
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Great and fun idea
Badge

Is there an update for this suggestion @marc ? Not sure how long it has been ‘on the roadmap’.

I’ve had to use Wattbott quite a lot over the last couple of months for an unresolved issue that I have been facing with my IHD but I never receive a notification that Wattbott have replied/sent me a message to respond to.

At present I need to log in to the IOS App every day to see if there is an update - e.g. there was a message yesterday where they wanted me to submit a photograph to show the location of my IHD in relation to my Gas meter. An App alert/notification (or even an email) of their message would be extremely useful.

Cheers for the nudge @myauntie 

Our tech guys are building a way for all Members to choose how and when they’re notified. What this means is that there’ll be a choice, sort of a pick and mix (!), of app notifications, emails, text messages, social. No doubt at a future point there’ll be some kind of voice option too.

I don’t have a definite ETA yet, but it is being worked on. So that’s encouraging.:slight_smile:

Badge

Cheers for the nudge @myauntie 

Our tech guys are building a way for all Members to choose how and when they’re notified. What this means is that there’ll be a choice, sort of a pick and mix (!), of app notifications, emails, text messages, social. No doubt at a future point there’ll be some kind of voice option too.

I don’t have a definite ETA yet, but it is being worked on. So that’s encouraging.:slight_smile:

Thanks @Marc