On hold

App Beta testing- call for volunteers?

• 29 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
Idea Status: On Hold

Hi @Marc,

It would be interesting to learn about the testing that goes on before the release of an app update?

My son is an Android app developer and the Google Play Store has a feature which enables him to invite users to join a beta group.

In this way any updates can be tested to a subset of users before releasing it to all.

I would be happy to become a beta tester for the Android version.

7 replies

Interesting idea @Lenny
I'm well up for this. I'm going to have a chat with our tech team about the practicalities 🆙
Hi @Lenny
I've been chatting to our tech team about this. They're keen in principle but would like us to build up to it.
What that means is that instead of diving straight in and issuing beta test apps, starting off small.
Due to the complexity of testing live/real energy supplies, often our test versions don't replicate everything 100% fully.
So the the most helpful thing we can do together, to start with, is for me to give you a proper heads-up when an app update is coming, and once it's live (and of course Android users always get the new updates straight away, unlike iPhone users) for you to bang away on it really hard and try to break it.
And if you do break it letting me know straight away so we can fix it before it gets into the hands of all our other Members.

How does that sound you?
It's not the same as testing beta versions, but it will help us to build up trust - not between you and I, but between us and the tech guys. They're pretty nervous as a rule....

Would be good to get feedback on this from other community members here too :raisinghands:
Badge +2
Hello @Marc,

Sounds good - just give me a heads up when there is a new release and I'll give it a road test.
Userlevel 5
Badge
With Android your Developers could also release the APK file of the updated app which can be given to a few people to test even before releasing on Google Play Store.
Lenny;23712:
Hello @Marc,

Sounds good - just give me a heads up when there is a new release and I'll give it a road test.

Nice one @Lenny
What I'll do in the meantime is put this idea 'on hold' and we'll see how it all goes.
TestFlight is the Apple way for devs to seed betas for testing. Works a treat and allows feedback, bug reports and a dialog between devs and testers.
25 quid;44356:
TestFlight is the Apple way for devs to seed betas for testing. Works a treat and allows feedback, bug reports and a dialog between devs and testers.

Hey @25 quid
Yep, we do indeed use TestFlight at PP. 👍
The thing is the test app uses some real/live data (eg some people who work at PP who are also supplied by PP).

We're also building new 'minibots' in WattBot. These are specific task-based bots, which we have ways of sharing/testing with Members before they go live.
Check out this idea/thread.
We're always grateful to Members up for helping us out!