Allow members to give points to other members

• 19 September 2018
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9061 replies
Idea for Community :

Allocated reward points to members, to distribute to other members, thru the month. Controlled by moderator Marc.

So, if a member gives a great answer, or maybe helps you individually via DM with an issue, and you want to say thank you, but more than just the usual ������or appreciative DM, you could request an amount of reward points be issued to this member, via Marc. He would review, and decide if worthy, for eg.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I would like to give mine to charity. Pitch already made for that one a while back not sure if its a goer or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I like the idea but worry about the potential load on admin.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
woz;11961:
I like the idea but worry about the potential load on admin.

guess if ALL members were issued points to distribute, it would indeed make a lot more work, so maybe, depending on a members level, points for distribution to others, are awarded accordingly 🤷*♀️
Hi @Bev @woz
Yes the admin thing is a worry too
The community points are popular with new Members so we're looking at how can make it different/better
This is a good shout 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thanks Marc 👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Personally I think this an unnecessary layer of admin leading to extra things todo.
Best keep processes that effectively work as simple as they was set up.
Just the thought and the need for a moderator seems all too time exaustive.
Less stress and more valuable time spent on other subjects!
Userlevel 5
Badge
How about an extra icon, a heart maybe?
Users can give thumbs up for posts as usual and a heart for a really helpful answer/post which would donate a set number of points to the recipient (Which would be a relatively small number I think).

There would have to be an acknowledgement before completion, for example:
You are about to give Bev 10 communities point for their post....please confirm

All users could start with a certain number of hearts and the developers could work a way to link the number of hearts allowed to be given by any user based on their involvement themselves in the communities, posts made, thumbs given and received, hearts given and received, communities points awarded etc, which would mean no mod admin work 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I'm not sure..just pondering on so many things going on..with more badges etc.

Will this really encourage new members....Perhaps I'm blinkered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
My idea stemmed from wanting to reward points to others, for eg when a member helped me sort an additional account, via DM, and I could have given my gratitude in the way of extra reward points say.

Sometimes maybe a new member (or long time member of course) may give really good advice, and I think “Wow, great answer” and deserves acknowledging with more than a simple thumbs up. It’s just encouraging.

But keeping it simple has to be key, of course. If it makes too much extra work, then no. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Is less more...Still pondering, heading for the blue sky's..blinkers off
Userlevel 5
Badge
The more established a forum gets, the more 'other things' makes sense.

Another forum I use not only has icons for Like, Thanks, Agree and Useful but also the ability to mark a post Funny, Love, Wow, Sad or Angry.

People don't even think twice about using them, they just do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I visit another forum where they have a dumb icon, which causes no end of bad feelings when it’s used.
Some people love these shortcut icons/ emojis/ emoticons and others don’t.
Thanking someone in words is polite and positive, a disagreement deserves explanation, just another point of view. (🧯)
Userlevel 5
Badge
woz;25106:
I visit another forum where they have a dumb icon, which causes no end of bad feelings when it’s used.
Some people love these shortcut icons/ emojis/ emoticons and others don’t.
Thanking someone in words is polite and positive, a disagreement deserves explanation, just another point of view. (🧯)

Ha yes, the negative icons got taken away in my other frequented forum after a while, caused far too much friction!
Hey @Bev @Jon1 @woz @Strutt G @Jenam93
I'm loving the generosity in here! :raisinghands:
The current community points 'window' closes in May, and we'll be sending the Amazon vouchers in June.
It'll be a bit admin-heavy, but if you'd like me to donate your rewards to another Member, as long as you let me know in early June, that should be OK.
Does that sound like a (short-term) plan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sorry Marc, ambiguity. See my post 5th March 0748, hope sheds more clarity? So not existing points from one member to another, but just asking moderators to issue say 25 points (that’s just off top of head as no idea how it’s worked out), or however it’d work, to a great answer, or whatever reason.

Its hard to explain, I know, but prime example last week, I think, when a member called Rusty (sorry totally forgotten which thread) posted a reply, and immediately got 12 thumbs up, to which I replied re deserving extra points. This was an exact example.

Another, thinking about it now, was Angela Biker, who replied to a thread within about a minute of the post going live, and again I commented on how fast she’d given an answer.

Sorry for confusion, but wasn’t about giving earned points away, they stay safe. Just about being able to suggest extra points being issued to certain members as and when, which would prob be about once a month max, if that.

​Thanks Marc 👍
Hey @Bev @Jon1
It took a while.... but we got there. Rewards can now be donated to For Good Causes as well as Amazon.
And if anyone wants to donate their rewards, we can do that too. (That's still something only we can do, at this stage) but it's a nice step forward.

​​​​​​​🙂