Implemented

Add a warning to the home page?

Idea Status: Working On It

Something like...

'This is a publicly viewable community forum, DO NOT put your personal details in your posts.

No matter what section you are posting in, you aren't talking privately to Pure Planet staff.

Posting personal information is a breach of the General Data Protection Regulations.'

Possibly also add to subform home-pages?

Just a thought.

Mark

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I have another suggestion, a popup window which says something along the lines of "You are posting in a public forum, anyone will be able to read your posts. Please do not post personal information such as your address, email or phone number. Tick here if you don't want to see this message again.
Thus everyone will see it at least once, and only once if they tick it. Mandatory for first posts but could be for all.

Shields at the ready....
Hey @Gwyndy
Interesting idea.
We obviously need to strike a balance here. On one hand we'd rather that people don't post personal information.
From a legal point of view we're protected by our T&Cs and we have a 'flagging' system in place so anyone can report a case of personal info being posted.
But legal stuff aside, from a general point of view it's just better if people didn't post any personal info.

On the other hand we want people to post in the community. Be part of it. Talk to us and to other members. That's a big reason for having a community! So anyone which scares people at worst, or puts them off at best, has to be avoided. Pop-up warnings are a grim experience, especially for mobile users.
Hey @Gwyndy @25 quid @woz

An update for you!

In the new platform, we've included a *light* warning message in the text box, before people start typing a new post, like this...

We think that strikes a good balance between warning but not being off-putting? πŸ€”
Something like that sounds good to me, or even just change

"Start a conversation" to "Start a public conversation." or "Start a conversation with your fellow Pure Planet members."

Anything that makes it blindingly obvious that they aren't talking to 'The Staff'.

Regards

Mark

​​​​​​​

25 quid;46107:
It's a fair point to try to address @Gwyndy. However, I don’t think folk read stuff like that or, say, invitations to search before posting. πŸ˜†
Here's a subtle change to my previous suggestion from December incorporating chat publicly. I think PP wouldn't want to scare folk too much...

​​​​​​​And as you say, maybe something like this (see bottom right) as you post:
It’s just an html placeholder. It’ll disappear the moment you enter text, but it is awkward (and slow) for a developer to count if there have been earlier posts by the user and adjust the display.

I see no problem with it being there myself and it’s a good reminder for everyone. YMMV 😈 Maybe the proletariat will rebel?
Rebels? Where?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I have reservations about whether that is the best solution (for every solution there's a problem...somewhere...)
Is that going to be persistent for every post or just the first post in a thread? Will it be necessary to manually delete or will it auto delete as you start to type?
I can think of a better solution, but whether it's available I don't know - before I suggest it I'd like to see the layout.
In the meanwhile a "Please" before the word remember would improve it.
Nataly;55958:
Hey @Gwyndy @25 quid @woz

An update for you!

In the new platform, we've included a *light* warning message in the text box, before people start typing a new post, like this...

We think that strikes a good balance between warning but not being off-putting? πŸ€”
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi nat
​​​​​​​I've just edited my post above, (please re-read?) and it should be set only to a new thread first post, no need to add it to replies.
I can count the instances of personal info in second posts on the fingers of no hands.
Nataly;55978:
Oops good point! To clarify - this'll appear every time you write a post - so, when starting a new conversation and/or when replying to someone else's post πŸ™‚
It's a fair point to try to address @Gwyndy. However, I don’t think folk read stuff like that or, say, invitations to search before posting. πŸ˜†
Here's a subtle change to my previous suggestion from December incorporating chat publicly. I think PP wouldn't want to scare folk too much...

​​​​​​​And as you say, maybe something like this (see bottom right) as you post:

Thanks @GwyndyΒ for this idea.

It’s now been implemented in our new platform work.

In each new post and reply there’s the text warning:

Β 

Oops good point! To clarify - this'll appear every time you write a post - so, when starting a new conversation and/or when replying to someone else's post πŸ™‚
You don't think I'm expecting the to read it do you 25 quid?

It's more a case of thinking, at least if the warnings there, we can remind them of it after they ignore it.

Now, I'm not on Pure Planet's legal team, but I personally would rather that they were obviously legally protected if someone decided to complain their private information were seen publicly and used for nefarious purposes.

Yes, I know it's in section 3 of the Terms, but it appears no bugger reads them either.We