Solved

referring disabled son but same email rejected

• 10 September 2019
  • 21 replies

I have tried to refer my adult son as a new customer but the process gets stopped when I use my own email address which is already the one I use as an existing customer.

He has a severe learning disability so can't read or write but it seems he has to continue to be exploited by British Gas for his electricity because PP can't get their head aroun power of attorney. Really quite disappointed with this. It's not about the rewards by the way so have a company like pure planet never had any disabled customers whose accounts are mangaed and closely monitored by family or carers?
icon

Best answer by Jon1 12 September 2019, 13:13

Hi dale44.
You can sign up your son but as stated you need a differant email address.
Once signed up simply log out of the app and then log back in using your sons email and this will allow only you to manage his acct. Nibody else needs to get involved.
Just make sure the log in email comes to the device your using to manage the acct.
View original

21 replies

Hi @dale44
Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting. 🆙
You'll need a different email address for your son's account.
Then, during the join process for him, make sure you use the Priority Services Register form - that way you'll be able to manage his account for him.
This FAQ about the PSR has more info.
Hope that helps. Happy to keep chatting here too of course if you'vre got other questions.
Hello Marc, why does two account have to have two separate email contacts?

My son has been 'exploited' already by staff at his assissted living block so I am not having any of them in charge of his fuel usage. They already use his flat when he is not there for personal use. There are 13 residents in his block and if all goes smoothly with my son, then I am sure others would also want to switch but I can gaurantee, all other parents and carers would expect to manage their accounts with the family email.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi dale44.
You can sign up your son but as stated you need a differant email address.
Once signed up simply log out of the app and then log back in using your sons email and this will allow only you to manage his acct. Nibody else needs to get involved.
Just make sure the log in email comes to the device your using to manage the acct.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
It’s a lot simpler than you think Dale. I do it for my elderly parents, like many others here. I have one simple iPad device, and have two BT emails set up. Most households have 5 or 6 different emails set up for husband wife daughters sons etc, so quite straightforward. Give it a try 👍
Hi Dale,

Here’s a simple trick. Just add +1 to the end of first part of your email address. Messages will arrive in your usual email account, but will look like two accounts to Pure Planet.

​e.g. dale@gmail.com become dale+1@gmail.com
25 quid;38504:
Hi Dale, Here’s a simple trick. Just add +1 to the end of first part of your email address. Messages will arrive in your usual email account, but will look like two accounts to Pure Planet. ​e.g. dale@gmail.com become dale+1@gmail.com

Does that work with all email addresses @25 quid ?
I thought it was only for Gmail ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Marc;38722:
Does that work with all email addresses @25 quid ?
I thought it was only for Gmail ones.

Hi Marc
I've just tried it with sky, and live.co.uk and emails returned as no user with that account name
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Duppy
​That only works with gmail but if you have another provider you can set up extra email addresses. You can then if necessary forward the mails to your main address.
Duppy;38727:
Hi Marc
I've just tried it with sky, and live.co.uk and emails returned as no user with that account name
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
woz;38731:
hi Duppy
​That only works with gmail but if you have another provider you can set up extra email addresses. You can then if necessary forward the mails to your main address.

I had an idea that was the case. I only tried it for curiosity, and to answer Marc's question
Duppy;38739:
I had an idea that was the case. I only tried it for curiosity, and to answer Marc's question

Cheers @Duppy 🆙
That's a shame, because it's a useful trick!
Hi Marc,
It works for many other email servers as well as gmail. Obviously, it’s seems there’s some for which the trick doesn’t work... 😞

Remember it’s your normal email plus a plus sign and any text just before the @ sign. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Sub-addressing

- - - Updated - - -

Hi woz, it’s certainly not just gmail. See my other reply...
woz;38731:
hi Duppy
25 quid;39553:
Hi Marc, It works for many other email servers as well as gmail. Obviously, it’s seems there’s some for which the trick doesn’t work... 😞 Remember it’s your normal email plus a plus sign and any text just before the @ sign. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Sub-addressing - - - Updated - - - Hi woz, it’s certainly not just gmail. See my other reply...

Thanks @25 quid
Brilliant! I never knew that.
That will come in very useful!
Got any other cool techie tips? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
yes thanks - I should have written that it may work with other providers, although I’m not sure you’ll find a definitive list of ones where it will?
25 quid;39553:
Hi Marc,
It works for many other email servers as well as gmail. Obviously, it’s seems there’s some for which the trick doesn’t work... 😞

Remember it’s your normal email plus a plus sign and any text just before the @ sign. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Sub-addressing

- - - Updated - - -

Hi woz, it’s certainly not just gmail. See my other reply...
I’ve got techie tips coming out of my ears @Marc, so many, there’s no room for the cauliflowers! 🤣

This trick is also great for tracking which companies have been sharing your contact details without your permission. Just add, say, +pureplanet, to your usual email address and track the source of the spam in your inbox. 😉
Marc;39628:
Thanks @25 quid
Brilliant! I never knew that.
That will come in very useful!
Got any other cool techie tips? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, @woz, it’s down to the whims of the sysadmin. Some people (systems) even claim a + sign is illegal in an email address... 🙄

woz;39632:
yes thanks - I should have written that it may work with other providers, although I’m not sure you’ll find a definitive list of ones where it will?
25 quid;39793:
I’ve got techie tips coming out of my ears @Marc, so many, there’s no room for the cauliflowers!

Would love to hear more @25 quid
If you care to share ;):o
Calling my bluff eh @Marc!? 😜
OK, staying on topic, this works great when creating an account online, but what about when you need to follow-up by sending an email and don’t want to use your normal email address? Apple (fanbouy alert) have you covered, pop into your Account Settings and add your new + email address to your existing account. Now select that From address when composing an email. (Windoze folk, YMMV).

Wandering off-topic, your email provider might even allow you to send an email pretending to be from a whole different domain, say, boris@gov.uk. That could be handy in other ways, but illustrates why you shouldn’t ever blindly trust the authenticity of emails you receive...
Marc;39823:
Would love to hear more @25 quid
If you care to share ;):o
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
fanbuoy: a floating admirer? (a bit like a floating voter I expect.)
Does your tip work on ipad/iphone?
25 quid;39947:
Calling my bluff eh @Marc!? ������
OK, staying on topic, this works great when creating an account online, but what about when you need to follow-up by sending an email and don’t want to use your normal email address? Apple (fanbouy alert) have you covered, pop into your Account Settings and add your new + email address to your existing account. Now select that From address when composing an email. (Windoze folk, YMMV).

Wandering off-topic, your email provider might even allow you to send an email pretending to be from a whole different domain, say, boris@gov.uk. That could be handy in other ways, but illustrates why you shouldn’t ever blindly trust the authenticity of emails you receive...
Certainly does! I’m buoyed up and sailing off on floaty-Mac-float-face... 🚤
woz;39955:
fanbuoy: a floating admirer? (a bit like a floating voter I expect.)
Does your tip work on ipad/iphone?
25 quid;39947:
Calling my bluff eh @Marc!?

That's great @25 quid :o
I think this may need to be broken out in a new thread just for top tech tips.

Also:

(Windoze folk, YMMV).

Your mileage may vary?
You’re on fire @Marc! And yes, we seem to have hijacked a thread here...
Marc;40000:
That's great @25 quid :o
I think this may need to be broken out in a new thread just for top tech tips.

Also:

Your mileage may vary?
25 quid;40173:
You’re on fire @Marc! And yes, we seem to have hijacked a thread here...

I have my moments @25 quid :rolleyes: