Solved

How does Giftcloud use Members' data when referring a friend to Pure Planet?

• 24 September 2019
  • 45 replies

The new referral system might be smoother in many regards. However, it is unacceptable that I am forced to confirm my details with a third party gift company to get my promised reward.

I am not the product and will resist your attempts to sell my data. You’re not Google. Stop harvesting my data! Send me the voucher directly.
icon

Best answer by Nataly 29 October 2019, 10:16

Hey @25 quid @woz @Gray4276

Just wanted to give you an update on our conversations with Giftcloud.

We can absolutely confirm that:

- We don't sell our data to Giftcloud, it's only provided for the sole purpose for Giftcloud to provide the reward redemption process
- Giftcloud won't and don't use this data for any other purposes, "including business development save for financial reconciliation, customer service, analysis and fraud detection/analysis"
- Giftcloud won't and don't sell Pure Planet data on to any third parties

To make sure this is made clearer in future, we're looking at adding a Giftcloud section into our Privacy Policy.

Giftcloud are also looking into adjusting their Privacy Policy to make sure there's no confusion over their use of data.

Hope that helps clear things up?👍
View original

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi there

I don't know if your previous complaints were one of the reasons the system was changed... all I can say is I haven't had this problem, but then I haven't referred anyone!

Others will add their thoughts, but since Amazon have to have your data for you to be able to use the reward, I can't quite see the problem. Or am I missing something?

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Have a read of https://www.giftcloud.com/uk/privacy. They claim a right to use my data for all sorts of marketing purposes. They are nothing to do with Amazon, yet PurePlanet have unreasonably shared my details with them.

The reason I complained about the previous system was that it didn’t work for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello 25 quid.
Some data has to be collected to ensure you receive the voucher, i cant imagine the details are overly confidentual but what differant people class as private varies massively.
If you feel that strongly then do as i do and dont claim any referrals. Rest assured nothing illegal is going on and ive had assured more than once that nobody sells your data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I don't like big brother either but...
Your "data" is given to the 3rd party to allow you to receive the voucher.
I would suggest (although I'm not clever enough to know the legalities), that PP should perhaps provide a link in the FAQ to the giftcloud conditions, in which it is made clear that you can opt out (for those that choose to go ahead with the incentive), and they should clarify in the FAQ exactly what data is shared with giftcloud (it's almost certainly only your email address I couldn't see any reference to my name)
You may then choose not to go ahead with the incentive, your choice.
I shall suggest this.

PP haven't shared your details with amazon, the voucher is agnostic, you can use it, your family or friends can use it.
I hope you don't use any credit cards.
Thanks for your comments folk. I think PP should be more upfront at the cost attached to the referral freebie. That giftcloud privacy policy is a spammers delight.

- - - Updated - - -

The previous referme bunch didn’t require me to agree to their terms to get my reward. That’s why I’m now £50 out of pocket cos I won’t agree to giftcloud’s hostage terms to get my reward.

maybe PP will send the code directly to me without me having to “sell my soul to the devil”? 😃
Hi 25quid,

I can understand your principles regarding your perception of your data being sold. However can I make a couple of points here....

1. PP have passed some non-specific details (email address)
2. PP have not sold your data to anyone
3. PP are actually offering an incentive to current and prospective customers
4. You are not under any obligation to avail yourself of PP's generous offer
5. I do not believe that you are "£50 out of pocket" as this has cost you £0

I sincerely apologise if I've got it completely wrong. Maybe you can correct my inaccuracies.

25 quid;38466:
Thanks for your comments folk. I think PP should be more upfront at the cost attached to the referral freebie. That giftcloud privacy policy is a spammers delight.

- - - Updated - - -

The previous referme bunch didn’t require me to agree to their terms to get my reward. That’s why I’m now £50 out of pocket cos I won’t agree to giftcloud’s hostage terms to get my reward.

maybe PP will send the code directly to me without me having to “sell my soul to the devil”? :D
Hi @25 quid

Totally understandable to be aware of your data and how it's shared - we try to make this easily accessible, so when you tap 'refer friends' in your account, we have a 'terms and conditions' link (just above your score card).

If you tap this, you can read section "4. Data" which explains how your data will be used for this programme.

There's also a link to our Privacy Policy in this section, which goes into further detail.

Hope that helps🆙
Hi Gray,

I think you’re misunderstanding the principals here.

1. an email address is personal information. https://gdpr-info.eu/issues/personal-data/ defines personal data as: “any information which are related to an identified or identifiable natural person”.

2. PP has a commercial arrangement with giftcloud. Giftcloud agree to provide a service in return for building a database of subjects to whom they can market. So in this sense my data has been offered as a benefit to giftcloud. I think this could colloquially be called sold.

3. Yes I have happily and vigorously availed myself of PP's incentive. Up until now I didn’t need to give my express consent to a 3rd party to allow them to market to me. PP's change in process and terms was not communicated to me.

4. I appreciate that I do not need to send them referrals going forward. However, I reasonably expected the terms to continue to be offered on the same basis as previously. I am happy to cease recommending PP to friends and colleagues and accept that I will receive no further incentive.

5. I do believe I am £50 out of pocket as the change in the contractual agreement between myself and PP was not mutually agreed. PP has a new client and should pay the agreed referral fee. I would hope PP would honour this referral on the previous terms and I will undertake to cease further referrals.

I know this could seem like a minor point, but large companies should not expect individuals to dish up their data as freely as they have become accustomed. If companies want our data they should get our clear and express consent and we can make a judgement as to if the deal is good.

Some might think a bit of spam is worth £50. Some might not.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Nataly,

My issue is that I was unaware that the terms had changed. I will cease any further referrals now your position is clear.

I hope you will agree to pay the incentive on the previous terms and we can part on good terms. 🙂

thanks
Hi 25quid,

I'm really glad I got my apology in on my previous post.
You certainly are much more aware of what constitutes the selling of personal data, and I genuinely "bow" to your superior knowledge 👍
I understand why you are unhappy with the way that this has come about.

All the best
Hi Gray,

No apology needed. I’m sorry I went on a bit of a rant, but data sharing and privacy is a pet hate...
Just a quick update should anyone be interested: Anton is currently insisting that PP will not provide my voucher without me first agreeing to sign up (even temporarily) for marketing from their 3rd party Giftcloud. As I was unaware of PP’s change in terms at the time I encouraged my friends to signup, I have asked him nicely if they will do as previously and send me the code via email (thanks Francine) or Wattbot (thanks anon-botter).

In return, I have agreed to never refer anyone else to PP — thus saving future grief, increasing my privacy and reducing my spam. 🙂
Hey @25 quid
Hope you don't mind if I jump in.
You've raised a good point here. We're looking into how we can be much clearer about how Members' data is used.
Updates to follow on this 👍
Hey @Marc, no problem, pleased to hear from you. You guys insisted it was your way or the highway, so I caved and agreed to receiving my reward on your new terms after you agreed you'd immediately ask gift cloud to delete my details. I remain unhappy at needing to share my details with a 3rd party, especially as you weren't clear you'd be doing this.

As you wouldn't relent and send my code the old way, I felt I was under no obligation to not refer anyone else as I did previously offered. So I did refer someone else. I've been rewarded and I've asked to be deleted from their spam system again.

You guys must be on a nice little kickback from gift cloud, but it's still a shame my data is being used to fund rewards for your new acquisitions.

Marc;41047:
Hey @25 quid
Hope you don't mind if I jump in.
You've raised a good point here. We're looking into how we can be much clearer about how Members' data is used.
Updates to follow on this 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I don't know what the arrangement is with giftcloud, but how do you think it compares with the nice little kickback you got from referring someone?

25 quid;41161:

You guys must be on a nice little kickback from gift cloud, but it's still a shame my data is being used to fund rewards for your new acquisitions.
Yes @woz, follow the money is a great mantra. I suspect that the benefit to PP for a new acquisition far exceeds the payout to me and the small benefit from gift cloud.
woz;41168:
I don't know what the arrangement is with giftcloud, but how do you think it compares with the nice little kickback you got from referring someone?
Hi 25 Quid,

Does it not get really tiring being so cynical and paranoid about PP and.......virtually everything 🤔😵
No, not at all. In fact I don't see what's cynical about commenting on the financial motivations of organisations. I suspect many people don't realise quite how valuable their personal information is. If organisations are clear and upfront about their revenue streams, individuals can make a considered choice about whether they should agree to the terms on offer.

​​​​​​​It's satisfying how engaged PP (@matt) is in providing clear information in this regard. I have chosen to continue referring friends and family to PP due to their agreement to remove my data from their third party gift provider.

Gray4276;41220:
Hi 25 Quid,

Does it not get really tiring being so cynical and paranoid about PP and.......virtually everything 🤔😵

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I guess you're also referencing my mistrust of connected smart meters with remotely activated switches to interrupt supply. In this case I believe the same applies, reveal the extra information that may not be known to some people and let them make an informed choice. I know people who have declined a smart meter for the same reason once they balanced the (very small) risks against the (insignificant) benefits.

​​​​​​​anyway, each to their own eh? 🤓
25 quid;41223:
No, not at all. In fact I don't see what's cynical about commenting on the financial motivations of organisations. I suspect many people don't realise quite how valuable their personal information is. If organisations are clear and upfront about their revenue streams, individuals can make a considered choice about whether they should agree to the terms on offer.

​​​​​​​It's satisfying how engaged PP (@matt) is in providing clear information in this regard. I have chosen to continue referring friends and family to PP due to their agreement to remove my data from their third party gift provider.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I guess you're also referencing my mistrust of connected smart meters with remotely activated switches to interrupt supply. In this case I believe the same applies, reveal the extra information that may not be known to some people and let them make an informed choice. I know people who have declined a smart meter for the same reason once they balanced the (very small) risks against the (insignificant) benefits.

​​​​​​​anyway, each to their own eh? 🤓

No......I hadn't even considered the smart meter scenario......why would I even know that you had concers about that.....and why would you think that I was referencing something that I had made no reference to in my post.....sounds a "little bit" paranoid, if you don't mind me saying so.

I guess it's just me that finds it tiring, and I've got a solution that will work for me.........selective reading of posts.

​​​​​​​There is no need for PP to respond to my posts attitude......it's my problem......and I've dealt with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Gray
I agree there are positives about data sharing in this sequence, there is validity in those observations however...
From my perspective, and this is purely my opinion about the sequence of posts, to complain about data sharing (yes we all agree there is some validity to making it more apparent, with changes to visibility of t+c's /transparency as suggested by me and others), subsequently ask for the data to be obliterated after referring, justifying this because PP are purportedly getting a kickback and more value out of the data than the customer is getting out of the reward is errr, I'll use the words disingenuous and morally ambiguous for want of better words.
Apologies for the badly constructed sentence (but at least the spelling is OK).

This is not a personal attack, it's just my opinion about the way I have seen this pan out.

I'm happy for the moderators to delete this post if they feel it offends personally, and should anyone complain but it isn't intended to be personal, it's just my observation of some of the timeline events.

I have no idea what the business relationship between giftcoud and PP is, and I don't really care either, it's a legitimate business arrangement.
Whether one agrees with the ethics of the reward process in the context of PP's general business model is a whole other discussion.
​​​​​​​Sadly for all (because effectively the consumers are all paying for it one way or another) it's become a staple part of trying to grow a business.

Gray4276;41220:
Hi 25 Quid,

Hi Woz,

Can I ask something about a part of your comment.....

"This is not a personal attack, it's just my opinion about the way I have seen this pan out." ........can I ask.....against whom ?? 🤔
  hi, guys, I've enjoyed the discussions I've shared in over the weeks. I'm sorry if I've come across too anti-PP. that wasn't my intention. 

Gray4276;41226:
Hi Woz,

Can I ask something about a part of your comment.....

"This is not a personal attack, it's just my opinion about the way I have seen this pan out." ........can I ask.....against whom ?? 🤔

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry that was me reading between the lines when you suggested "...virtually everything". I tried to think of the other topics I'd contributed to and thought you might be referring to my comments smart meters.

Gray4276;41224:
No......I hadn't even considered the smart meter scenario......why would I even know that you had concers about that.....and why would you think that I was referencing something that I had made no reference to in my post.....sounds a "little bit" paranoid, if you don't mind me saying so.

I guess it's just me that finds it tiring, and I've got a solution that will work for me.........selective reading of posts.

​​​​​​​There is no need for PP to respond to my posts attitude......it's my problem......and I've dealt with it.

I'm out 😎......I'll get me coat😴
25 quid;41229:
hi, guys, I've enjoyed the discussions I've shared in over the weeks. I'm sorry if I've come across too anti-PP. that wasn't my intention.

We value all the great feedback we get from our Members 👍

As @Marc said we're taking a further look into this, so nice one for pointing it out!

Our Community guidelines highlight that "We've all got our views and we're all entitled to them, as long as we respect each other."🙂​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
Hey @25 quid @woz @Gray4276

Just wanted to give you an update on our conversations with Giftcloud.

We can absolutely confirm that:

- We don't sell our data to Giftcloud, it's only provided for the sole purpose for Giftcloud to provide the reward redemption process
- Giftcloud won't and don't use this data for any other purposes, "including business development save for financial reconciliation, customer service, analysis and fraud detection/analysis"
- Giftcloud won't and don't sell Pure Planet data on to any third parties

To make sure this is made clearer in future, we're looking at adding a Giftcloud section into our Privacy Policy.

Giftcloud are also looking into adjusting their Privacy Policy to make sure there's no confusion over their use of data.

Hope that helps clear things up?👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks for the update Nataly.
May I suggest that you either modify the title of this thread to put a ? after the words, or lose the word illegal.
​​​​​​​