Solved

How do I refer a family member who has purchased their first house and wants PP to supply replacing the previous owners supplier ?

• 11 August 2020
  • 6 replies

How do I refer a family member who has purchased their first house and wants PP to supply replacing the previous owners supplier ?

icon

Best answer by stephenrand 11 August 2020, 21:29

Hi there, welcome to the Pure Planet community!

I think this FAQ will tell you what you need to know

https://community.purepla.net/refer-friends-41/referring-friends-to-pure-planet-10309

If not, post back here.

Stephen

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, welcome to the Pure Planet community!

I think this FAQ will tell you what you need to know

https://community.purepla.net/refer-friends-41/referring-friends-to-pure-planet-10309

If not, post back here.

Stephen

This is not a switch but a new house owner requesting a new supply from date of moving in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm now slightly confused, not sure whether it's a new build house and your friends are the first owners, or whether the house is new to them, but has had a previous owner.

Either way, the answer is the same - they have to move in and then switch. You can't change the supplier before you own the property.

https://powercompare.co.uk/energy-new-build/

Hope that helps

Stephen

Hi

Not a new build.

This will be the first ever energy supply the new owner has taken hence how can they switch if never had an energy contract ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Because the house has the supply, not the owner? When they move in they become a 'deemed customer' of the supplier already supplying the property, and remain so until any switch they make is complete. And eventually they will get a final bill from that supplier to pay for the days of energy they have used before the switch completed

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@SKA86 and just to add,  the way to refer them is you send them you referral code which you will find in the app or online. 

Stephen’s reply applies to every single switch, whoever takes over a property becomes a deemed customer of whoever supplies that property, whether buying or renting.

The only exception to this is when the property hasn’t ever had an energy contract, (new build) in which case PP can’t take it on until one of the big 6 suppliers has started the supply/contract.

It’s always the case that whoever takes over responsibility for a property will get a bill from the previous supplier for a minimum of 17 days under contract (the quickest time you can switch from when you take ownership).

There is no big hurry though as you will never pay for the same energy twice (the readings will match for each supplier) so the difference in price over a few days will only be the difference if charges between the 2 suppliers, which is usually very little over the course of a few days.

I would suggest to your family member that they should take photos of the meters showing readings (and preferably the serial number too) on the day they take ownership. It’ll cover their backsides in case there is any dispute about the changeover readings (not that there should be as most go without a hitch)

@stephenrand  I just wanted to support Stephen’s excellent reply, not that I’ve added anything useful..