Solved

Amazon vouchers

• 19 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Amazon are notorious for UK tax avoidance. I refuse to use them. Aren’t there better alternatives?
icon

Best answer by Gray4276 20 July 2019, 12:47

Poetjanstie;33619:
Amazon are notorious for UK tax avoidance. I refuse to use them. Aren’t there better alternatives?

Hi Poetjanstie,
Please allow me to Welcome you to the Community Forum for PP members.
I applaud your ethical stance regarding Amazon.
However it should be noted that PP are trying to say "thanks" to it's own customers and as many, many people have Amazon accounts, I can personally understand their choice.... I'm also sure that PP will be actively involved in finding other alternatives to this "ethical" dilemma that you (and many others) feel so strongly about.
I suppose that you could simply never activate any vouchers that are sent to you.... but that seems a bit like "cutting off your nose to spite your face" You could also donate to a charity of your choice the equivalent amount of money represented by the voucher.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi poetjanstie
Feel free to make some suggestions of what alternatives you would consider acceptable?

So are lots of other companies (unethical and tax avoiders) not that that is mitigation in any way.
(I started to list them but there are too many)
The question is, who is going to police which alternatives are acceptable and why.
For example and there are very many, should everyone boycott China and Saudi Arabia because of their human rights records, or the Japanese because the b*stards think it's OK to hunt and kill whales?
List your own examples here.
The only sure fire way of tackling your concern is either to choose a charity or for it to be a credit on your energy bill (which in itself causes some ethical problems, I think at one time it was being considered)

I'm not disagreeing that tax avoidance especially on a monumental scale isn't a problem for us all, ultimately it is, but then so is the way some major supermarkets exploit their suppliers, or clothing companies exploit their makers.
I just think people choose their own level of ethicalness (is that a word?)

Poetjanstie;33619:
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
To add to the debate on the ethics of amazon, i would like to point out that in percentage of worth, the sport hero lewis hamilton is a bigger tax dodger than amazon. Does that mean i should stop watching the racing? In fact i would be happy to say that no company pays its full tax liabilities and use sister companies and other less obvious means to reduce their tax bill.
In all honesty everybody and i mean everybody has at some point avoided paying tax.
Poetjanstie;33619:

Hi Poetjanstie,
Please allow me to Welcome you to the Community Forum for PP members.
I applaud your ethical stance regarding Amazon.
However it should be noted that PP are trying to say "thanks" to it's own customers and as many, many people have Amazon accounts, I can personally understand their choice.... I'm also sure that PP will be actively involved in finding other alternatives to this "ethical" dilemma that you (and many others) feel so strongly about.
I suppose that you could simply never activate any vouchers that are sent to you.... but that seems a bit like "cutting off your nose to spite your face" You could also donate to a charity of your choice the equivalent amount of money represented by the voucher.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
and I'd like to boycott dealing with the tax office, I don't think they are ethically sound...
Jon1;33640:
To add to the debate on the ethics of amazon, i would like to point out that in percentage of worth, the sport hero lewis hamilton is a bigger tax dodger than amazon. Does that mean i should stop watching the racing? In fact i would be happy to say that no company pays its full tax liabilities and use sister companies and other less obvious means to reduce their tax bill.
In all honesty everybody and i mean everybody has at some point avoided paying tax.