The new Nissan Leaf arrives

• 10 January 2019
  • 28 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6192 replies
At last! The new Nissan Leaf arrived today.

Here it is on the tow truck

And in the driveway

Even though the Leaf was delivered with close to 100% charged battery, I've just quickly tested out the home charger - which was installed late last year.

I'm happy to say that it works...!

Right, I'm off for a spin. 😉

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Looks smart Marc! Keep us posted on how it lives up to the hype. I've been thinking of changing my wife's Toyota Aygo for a Leaf.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
What a beauty! The bungalow that is 😂😂😂😂👍. The 🍁is pretty gorge too Marc! Enjoy! 🏎️💥🔋
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I wanted to get a new car for the wife but the dealer wouldn't take her in part exchange...
I'll get my coat...
Oakbank;20966:
Looks smart Marc! Keep us posted on how it lives up to the hype. I've been thinking of changing my wife's Toyota Aygo for a Leaf.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
lovely marc, I wish you well with it.
Looking forward to hear your experiences..

however...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDDbDET53o

and
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Q1. Is there an interlock to prevent you driving off while it's plugged in?

Q2. Is the charging cable rated for sub-zero temperatures?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
No definitive answer from me on point 1, but just to say I can't imagine you would be allowed to drive the car while the connector is plugged in but some functions must work because you can defrost while connected so it's a good question.

As far as the charging cable goes it has a specification probably IEC62196-(a number) probably a 3 which was 2014, in which I think the dash 1 version dictates an ambient temperature range for use of -30C to +50C, which I think is the same in -3 version
The designation depends on what type of cable it is so I'm guessing it's that spec.
So the answer is yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Can just picture it being reversed off the drive, still attached to charger, and the blue hose going tight like a dog on a lead, then Marc suddenly realising 🙀😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🔋
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
and if they elasticated the cable that would make life really interesting...
Bev;20988:
Can just picture it being reversed off the drive, still attached to charger, and the blue hose going tight like a dog on a lead, then Marc suddenly realising ������������������������������������������������������������������������������
Badge
Pretty sure you can’t put it in Drive or Reverse with a cable connected. You can turn it on whilst charging so you can have heating whilst you wait if reqd
woz;20983:
lovely marc, I wish you well with it.
Looking forward to hear your experiences..

however...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDDbDET53o

and

Hahaha @woz
It was that or 'fire' red and I'm not quite ready for my mid-life crisis (that'll be the Tesla, next!)
Oakbank;20984:
Q1. Is there an interlock to prevent you driving off while it's plugged in?

Q2. Is the charging cable rated for sub-zero temperatures?

Hey @Oakbank
Yep there's a lock to prevent me driving off with it plugged in. Thankfully!
I'm not 100% sure about the temperatures. I'll need to look into that.
How cold does it get where you are?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Temperature answered above -30C to +50C, if it gets colder or hotter than that we're all doomed anyway...
Marc;21037:
Hey @Oakbank
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Marc

-5 fairly common with -10 not unknown up here. It's "taps aff" if it ever reaches 15 or above!

Standard PVC insulated extension cable is okay down to -15, but only as long as it is undisturbed. Done a bit of Googling and discovered EV charging cables are good down to -30. You'll be fine as long as you stay away from the Arctic :)

Marc;21037:
Hey @Oakbank
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi Woz

I've worked in places that have exceeded both these values!

woz;21040:
Temperature answered above -30C to +50C, if it gets colder or hotter than that we're all doomed anyway...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
lol, I can probably handle +50 so Libya is OK (weather not politics) but if we get down to -30 I'm going into hibernation.
The cable might be OK to -30, but will the car work (well it might work but you can't charge it)?
It would appear not but then neither will any diesel cars.
Have a read of THIS
Oakbank;21042:
Hi Woz

I've worked in places that have exceeded both these values!
This is cool. Google maps just updated on my Android phone.
Great timing :)

Badge
Congrats on your new Leaf 40
If you would like a snapshot from leaf spy I’m just outside Bath
Might be useful to keep a history of the battery
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Leaf Spy link for anyone interested
Eastbath;21120:
Congrats on your new Leaf 40
If you would like a snapshot from leaf spy I’m just outside Bath
Might be useful to keep a history of the battery

Sounds interesting. I've just registered with the official Nissan Connect app and used it to switch on climate control via my phone today, while I was still indoors having a cup of tea. That will definitely come in useful on frosty mornings.

Have you got the Leaf Spy up and running @Eastbath ? The official app is promising me data on my CO2 savings, average energy consumption, driving performance, braking performance...
Badge
Hi Marc
Yes I Gabe leafspy up and running
It gives a far more comprehensive set of information about the battery and cars performance over time than the app which in itself is really useful. I personally set a climate control timer during weekdays and it’s defrosted and toasty every morning, a true but of luxury in my opinion.
Leaf spy gives you info like battery state of health so nice to know now as it’s new in your case and maybe every so often to see how it ages. Plus a load of other stuff like individual cell voltages temperature sensor temps motor rpm etc etc
Have a look on the App Store or the Android equivalent
You need the app and a WiFi or Bluetooth obd11 dongle
As I say I’m just outside Bath so if you like to use mine for a snapshot that would be fine
How does one pm on this board as I don’t particularly want to post my mail address or contact details to the world?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
little envelope top rhs for sending a DM (direct message) (or a PM)
Eastbath;21188:
Hi Marc
Yes I Gabe leafspy up and running
It gives a far more comprehensive set of information about the battery and cars performance over time than the app which in itself is really useful. I personally set a climate control timer during weekdays and it’s defrosted and toasty every morning, a true but of luxury in my opinion.
Leaf spy gives you info like battery state of health so nice to know now as it’s new in your case and maybe every so often to see how it ages. Plus a load of other stuff like individual cell voltages temperature sensor temps motor rpm etc etc
Have a look on the App Store or the Android equivalent
You need the app and a WiFi or Bluetooth obd11 dongle
As I say I’m just outside Bath so if you like to use mine for a snapshot that would be fine
How does one pm on this board as I don’t particularly want to post my mail address or contact details to the world?
Badge
woz;21211:
little envelope top rhs for sending a DM (direct message) (or a PM)

Cheers Woz, thanks for pointing that out
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I guess in time Marc we must all take a leaf out of your book. Sorry! There is I believe an upgraded model coming for the Leaf that will take the anticipated mileage into the 200s. Real mileage that is, not advertiser’s puffing. I looked at the Leaf a couple of months back and the garage at least were honest about the anticipated mileage of around 170. When I pointed out that it would be no good to me as for example my son lives 86 miles away and there is nowhere near him where I could charge up, the sales lady replied “That’s alright sir, if you are going on a journey like that just call in and we will lend you a petrol car”!

- - - Updated - - -

My wife has an Aygo. Now 10 years old. A great car. The perfect car to be all electric!

- - - Updated - - -

No interlock needed. Surely the cable just unrolls behind you as you drive so you are always connected?!!
G4RHL;22847:
I guess in time Marc we must all take a leaf out of your book. Sorry! There is I believe an upgraded model coming for the Leaf that will take the anticipated mileage into the 200s. Real mileage that is, not advertiser’s puffing.

Hey @G4RHL yep the new model coming later in 2019 was announced on the very same day that mine arrived! Ah well, my daily trips are no more than 40 miles so it's no big deal for me. I've got 170+ miles from one charge in the Leaf, even in this cold weather we've had.

My wife has an Aygo. Now 10 years old. A great car. The perfect car to be all electric!

I'm surprised Toyota hasn't done more with EVs. They had a lot of success with the hybrid Prius if course.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
That’s good to know. The 170 miles in the cold that is. The overall issue is one of mixed points to consider - the miles a full charge will cover, whether there are charging points at one’s destination (or ones that can be used en route), the depreciation in the car, the cost of replacement batteries and the method of purchase that is the best in the circumstances. The one issue that is not is whose electricity to use!! Hard to PP’s!!