Tariff for EV use

I lease a car through work and I’m very happy with my diesel but obviously there’s concerns over them and are being phased out. It’s a shame as I can make it from Manchester to Kent and back and not need to refuel which is great!!

However, work are now offering EV or Hybrid vehicles, and one caught my eye so it might be an option. But then my concern is the fuel cost (electric) as ultimately our bills at home will get higher and it’ll be down to the car for the reason in the increase.

Are there any plans for EV tariffs - obviously the charging would take place overnight most likely, and I can’t see me plugging anything else into an external socket - I see others have started offering these (ovo?)

Cheers

Steve

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi steve. Its great your thinking about an EV. but i dont think PP should have what i consider a gimmick unit price for ev charging as this discount is only recovered by higher charges elsewhere. Myself i think putting acouple of solar panels on the roof to reduse your bills is better also look around your local area for free charging points,car parks,gyms etc. If your employer is encouaging you to take up an ev offer maybe they would be willing to supply charge points at work.
I feel with a little effort and careful planning its possible to run an ev and charge for free.
Just my opinion.
This is a great thread to start @SteveNorth nice one 🆙
It's going to be very interesting as more people get EVs

Our tariff is already great for EV owners, as we're one of the cheapest on the market (linking here to our latest blog post about pricing), even those 'dedicated' EV tariffs out there.

We have one tariff for everyone. Clear and no worry, no gimmicks or fixed terms with early-exit penalities. And of course our electricity is 100% renewable so you're using zero emissions at home and on the road, right? :o

We went to Fully Charged Live the other day, and there was a lot of talk about charging, obvs.
And what we found was that not all EV drivers are looking for a night-time tariff, a lot of them are more interested in being able to charge when the energy is most renewable, ie when there is the least amount of carbon in the grid.
Which is really fascinating (I think, anyway!) especially when we start thinking about the next generation of smart meters.

What kind of EV or hybrid are you thinking of getting, by the way?
EV Tariff's are gimmicky, however charging EVs is not and is going to change the way we electricity is distributed. I was also at FullyCharged Live (spoke with Pure Planet and ended up in the paper because of my high energy use). One of interesting aspects was the buzz around "Balancing the Grid". If we all come home from work and charge at the same time we are in for big trouble. We have to shift energy use throughout the day to balance the use. Battery Storage will play a big part working with EVs and Smart Meters. Peak time 5-7pm for instance if you can sell electricity from your EV to help power homes/ev's that need at that time it will reduce the load on the generation. Half hourly tariffs will help with that allowing you to buy and store electricity when it is cheap.

I spoke with Octopus who offer an Agile Tariff for exactly this. When there is a surplus during a hot windy day because of all the Solar/Wind generation and no one using it the electricity price is cheaper as no one is using it and it needs to go somewhere. This is not a gimmick but a fact of demand and supply. I would welcome Pure Planet doing something like this so that those that wish to or have the infrastructure to do so can avail of cheaper electricity when available and help balance the grid.

Other companies will follow Octopus and Pure Planet could get a lot of new customers if they got in early. I am getting a new EV and on the Owners Forum I can recommend Pure Planet a lot but not many interested as a lot have Solar and Batteries and Octopus is more attractive as they can time shift electricity and reduce bills.

Regards,

Martin
UncleScooby;11914:
EV Tariff's are gimmicky, however charging EVs is not and is going to change the way we electricity is distributed. I was also at FullyCharged Live (spoke with Pure Planet and ended up in the paper because of my high energy use). One of interesting aspects was the buzz around "Balancing the Grid". If we all come home from work and charge at the same time we are in for big trouble. We have to shift energy use throughout the day to balance the use. Battery Storage will play a big part working with EVs and Smart Meters. Peak time 5-7pm for instance if you can sell electricity from your EV to help power homes/ev's that need at that time it will reduce the load on the generation. Half hourly tariffs will help with that allowing you to buy and store electricity when it is cheap.

I spoke with Octopus who offer an Agile Tariff for exactly this. When there is a surplus during a hot windy day because of all the Solar/Wind generation and no one using it the electricity price is cheaper as no one is using it and it needs to go somewhere. This is not a gimmick but a fact of demand and supply. I would welcome Pure Planet doing something like this so that those that wish to or have the infrastructure to do so can avail of cheaper electricity when available and help balance the grid.

Other companies will follow Octopus and Pure Planet could get a lot of new customers if they got in early. I am getting a new EV and on the Owners Forum I can recommend Pure Planet a lot but not many interested as a lot have Solar and Batteries and Octopus is more attractive as they can time shift electricity and reduce bills.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for this post Martin, aka @UncleScooby :o
We are looking closely at this. You're right that a way to take and store energy when it is cheapest is going to play a big part.
I know from our chat in this thread that you have a Tesla X (lucky you!) and we've a few Tesla owners among our Members now.
What battery/storage options are you looking at?
Marc, Tesla Powerwall and Powervault are the only ones I have looked at so far. Solar is something I still need to get to the bottom of as to whether it is suitable at my house. At the moment finishing the house is still main priority and looking into this stuff secondary, maybe next year. I have got Western Power coming out next week to discuss 3 phase with me as if I need it (which can be a requirement for some of this) I would rather do it now whilst the house is still a work in progress.

Incidentally, if I go 3 Phase, is there any complication or tariff changes from Pure Planet?

- - - Updated - - -

However, I do know of Tesla owners who have recently installed PowerWalls and ruled Pure Planet out as an option as there is no appropriate Tariff or even E7. So it is still early adopter stage but business is there.
UncleScooby;12151:
Marc, Tesla Powerwall and Powervault are the only ones I have looked at so far. Solar is something I still need to get to the bottom of as to whether it is suitable at my house. At the moment finishing the house is still main priority and looking into this stuff secondary, maybe next year. I have got Western Power coming out next week to discuss 3 phase with me as if I need it (which can be a requirement for some of this) I would rather do it now whilst the house is still a work in progress.

Incidentally, if I go 3 Phase, is there any complication or tariff changes from Pure Planet?

- - - Updated - - -

However, I do know of Tesla owners who have recently installed PowerWalls and ruled Pure Planet out as an option as there is no appropriate Tariff or even E7. So it is still early adopter stage but business is there.

Interesting stuff @UncleScooby
Looping in @Jon1 who has been lookng at solar tiles for the roof. He may have some tips on that!
About your 3 phase question. No tariff changes :)
Western Power Distribution will be able to outline it all, and when you're ready contact our Member services team to arrange for the meter installation 🆙
Would love Solar tiles but cost scares me! We have a house with pitched roofs facing N/S/E/W - yes all directions and 8 Dormer windows, does not make solar panels easy. Last guy I had out suggested 16 panel array in the garden, but not sure I like the idea of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Marc, and thanks for the 3 phase info 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
UncleScooby;12164:
Would love Solar tiles but cost scares me! We have a house with pitched roofs facing N/S/E/W - yes all directions and 8 Dormer windows, does not make solar panels easy. Last guy I had out suggested 16 panel array in the garden, but not sure I like the idea of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Marc, and thanks for the 3 phase info :)

Indeed we are looking at tesla tiles when they become available in the uk.in terms of cost and fitting.
With tiles they replace the roof completely and put solar tiles where they will work and normal tiles where they wont so from the kerb you wont be able to tell the differance.
Traditional solor panels typically sit on the roof above existing tiles,obviously they stand out no matter how hard you try.
If your roof needs replacing (ours will) then the tile option is no more expensive than traditional panels. If you dont need a new roof and have tiles you will be looking at twice the cost of normal panels.
If you have the space and thats a big IF ground mount is cheaper but be warned it is best to fence them in so animals cant get to them and cause damage.
Yes I saw the quote saying they cost the same as a normal roof if replacing, however when I looked at the costs in the US I felt the roof costs must be really high over there, to me looked at a least 2 to 3 times the cost of normal tiles. Do you have UK pricing or are you going by what the blurb says?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello again. Yes some blurb, but a lot of comparison.a lot of property in the states will be roofed with some weird stick on felt tile which is obviously a lot cheaper than normal clay/slate tiles typically used over here. Makes comparison harder to compare.
As a new Nissan Leaf owner, I've just switched to Pure Planet for cheaper home charging. Most of my charging is at work, though, as we have 10 7kW charging stations for staff use. Also been using the Ecotricity charger at the nearby services as it has been on free vend for the past few days 🙂
How are you finding the Leaf @MikeZ ?
I'm leasing one and it's due end of next month. I can't wait! :o
I've got plans to add some info to the community about getting set up at home for the wall charger.
Are you going to get a home charger as well?
Hi Marc,

I'm also leasing mine (from Drive Electric). It's great - really quiet and instant heat. No waiting for an engine to warm up 🙂 And, unlike an ICE vehicle, even more economical in traffic jams (of which there are plenty round here)...

Talking of traffic jams - I've found that e-pedal is great in slow-moving traffic; no constant swapping between accelerator and brake :)

Managed to keep it charged up so far for virtually nothing, but having a home charger installed this afternoon (though still waiting for installer to arrive). Will let you know how it goes!
Hi @MikeZ
Yep the e-pedal is nice. Though it takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't it?
How did the home charger installation go?
Marc;13076:
Hi @MikeZ
Yep the e-pedal is nice. Though it takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't it?
How did the home charger installation go?

I actually got used to the e-pedal pretty quickly, having already gone from 3 pedals to 2 in another automatic :)

The home charger works great, and it was installed in about 90 minutes, including just 5 minutes with the electricity off. The installer did a neat job.
Interesting thread, I, too, own a Tesla and would be interested in some way to save on home charging.
I imagine that, once we have the smart meters, it might be possible to come up with a set-up that would allow a plugged in car to charge when the network needs to unload some overage, though this would require for Tesla and PP to collaborate with each other. The Tesla (most EVs, I imagine) is a computer on wheels so I am sure that, if Tesla chose to, they could come up with a set up that allowed the meter to drive the charging. @MikeZ, am jealous of e-pedal, have been asking Tesla to implement something like that, for as long as I have had my car, to no avail 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I assume the car brakes when you lift off the pedal in e-pedal mode? If so what determines how hard it brakes?
Does instant heat deplete the charge rapidly? I'm thinking this in terms or watts of heat out which have to come from the/a? battery or does it have a supplementary battery for the heater? I guess you'll know how rapidly when it gets a lot colder...
Hi @SteveNorth
As far as I know charging an ev nightly will be significantly cheaply than refuelling your car with diesel. And pp tariffs are already extremely cheap compared to other suppliers so I think you should Go Green!
ahmedhas;13482:
Hi @SteveNorth
As far as I know charging an ev nightly will be significantly cheaply than refuelling your car with diesel. And pp tariffs are already extremely cheap compared to other suppliers so I think you should Go Green!

So to follow up on this, we got a Ioniq a few weeks back - very efficient when driving and the local charging points in Greater Manchester are currently free of charge to use - therefore very handy and can charge at work for free (and travel for free too!)

Looking at having a point installed at home shortly so will see how it goes with the new connection and if it costs much to charge. The current tariff doesn’t change for night time use, however the car has a ‘timer’ option which allows it to only charge between certain times - so may be useful if a cheap overnight tariff comes around!
Hi @woz
How hard it brakes is determined by how much you lift the pedal. You get to know quite quickly how to control the braking smoothly. If you lift the pedal completely, the car will come to a halt and be held stationary (even on a hill).

In terms of the climate control, it is powered by the charger if the car is plugged in, or the main Li-ion battery if not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
thanks, ahh that makes sense now, heat the car before you start, (cheaper if you're on a free charge point but you won't be if it's at home) that's a lot of watts on a cold morning. I assume the software allows you to defrost on a time setting then?
10's of years of muscle memory to overcome to get used to the e-pedal, it reminds me of the dodgems...
MikeZ;13491:
Hi @woz
How hard it brakes is determined by how much you lift the pedal. You get to know quite quickly how to control the braking smoothly. If you lift the pedal completely, the car will come to a halt and be held stationary (even on a hill).

In terms of the climate control, it is powered by the charger if the car is plugged in, or the main Li-ion battery if not.
woz;13494:
thanks, ahh that makes sense now, heat the car before you start, (cheaper if you're on a free charge point but you won't be if it's at home) that's a lot of watts on a cold morning. I assume the software allows you to defrost on a time setting then?
10's of years of muscle memory to overcome to get used to the e-pedal, it reminds me of the dodgems...

I don't think it uses a great deal having the climate control on - it only reduces the estimated range by about 4 or 5 miles. Yes, you can schedule the climate control to come on. I think pretty much all EVs have that capability.

Funnily enough, the first thing I said about e-pedal was that it reminded me of driving dodgems as a child 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
How cute re the dodgems both, bless 😂😂😂👍
SteveNorth;13484:
So to follow up on this, we got a Ioniq a few weeks back - very efficient when driving and the local charging points in Greater Manchester are currently free of charge to use - therefore very handy and can charge at work for free (and travel for free too!)

Looking at having a point installed at home shortly so will see how it goes with the new connection and if it costs much to charge. The current tariff doesn’t change for night time use, however the car has a ‘timer’ option which allows it to only charge between certain times - so may be useful if a cheap overnight tariff comes around!

Brilliant, great to hear it @SteveNorth
Lots of people are saying good things about the Ioniq.
What's the (real world) range?

Also looping in @MikeZ who's had a home charger installed recently. He may have a tip or two! 🆙
Stonelli;13332:
Interesting thread, I, too, own a Tesla and would be interested in some way to save on home charging.
I imagine that, once we have the smart meters, it might be possible to come up with a set-up that would allow a plugged in car to charge when the network needs to unload some overage, though this would require for Tesla and PP to collaborate with each other. The Tesla (most EVs, I imagine) is a computer on wheels so I am sure that, if Tesla chose to, they could come up with a set up that allowed the meter to drive the charging. @MikeZ, am jealous of e-pedal, have been asking Tesla to implement something like that, for as long as I have had my car, to no avail :-(

Welcome to the community @Stonelli
Yes, spot on, there's some work to be done on making sure different proprietary computers can talk to each other.
This is the joy (aka pain?!:p) of being an early adopter.
Which model Tesla have you got? Enjoying it?