Pure Planet to interview Fully Charged’s Robert Llewellyn - what should we ask him?

• Community Manager
  • 6033 replies

We’ve got a chat lined up with Fully Charged host Robert Llewellyn and we’d love to hear would you’d like to ask him.

Pure Planet co-founder Steven Day will be interviewing Robert in a couple of weeks.

Of course, as the face of Fully Charged and an electric vehicles advocate, most of the conversation will be about EVs and renewable energy.

Robert Llewellyn at Fully Charged Live

We’re likely to talk about the success of Fully Charged Live (which PP has taken part in each year), the latest EVs and what Robert thinks we can expect to see in the future.

Robert gets to test drive the latest EVs for the Fully Charged YouTube channel, and he also hosts a podcast.

He is, of course, also an actor, best known for Red Dwarf and Scrapheap Challenge. 

Got a question for Robert? Add it to the replies below! :relaxed:

14 replies

Userlevel 2

When will these EVs become affordable? Most of us don’t have £30-£40k to spare. 

How about: As an energy provider, what do you think is the most important thing Pure planet can do to help with the adoption of EVs?

Thanks @eskimo @GrahamAllwood 

Good questions! :relaxed:

We’re going to be chatting to Robert in the next day or two, so now’s the last chance to get a question in! 

Oh, I have another. How important is balancing the grid and how do you think energy providers should encourage it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh i forgot about this. 

To what extent do you think traffic including public transport should be banned in certain areas. I.E. city centre or high pollution zones. 

Thanks for your questions! :smiley:

Check out part 1 of the interview with Robert Llewellyn…

And part 2! (featuring your questions)

Thanks for your questions @eskimo @Jon1 @GrahamAllwood 

I really enjoyed chatting with Robert Llewellyn. It was only meant to be for half an hour or so… but we loved talking about his acting career, the founding of Fully Charged, EVs and renewables so much, that it went on a little longer! We’re having a look at making a ‘full length’ podcast - but even that we might have to edit down a little :).

The edited films - a world exclusive double bill no less! - are over on Pure Planet’s You Tube channel along with other recent sustainability conversations we’ve had with others.

@Nataly has kindly posted the links to the conversation with Robert above. Let us know what you think. Enjoy.

Thanks for an interesting listen.

It got me thinking about the variable pricing questions that you touched on. The bit about the user, the car, the charger or the network deciding when to charge your car. 

That sounds like a complex problem to solve, as there will be fights between the various parties about what is best. The poor human might struggle to understand what’s going on and could just end up resenting the complexity and decisions made. 

Plus there’s the fact that cars whilst learning their owners routine (like iPhones), will want to delay a full charge, or only partially charge to preserve battery longevity. Hopefully it can be as simple as a button to say, Full charge now/overnight please (that’s already two buttons). Or, I need to drive 155 miles tomorrow at 10am. Or...

All of that sounds easy compared to the challenges of getting your tumble drier and domestic hot water to cooperate with variable pricing. I don’t want creased clothes at 5am or a cold shower at 11pm...

Fascinating times ahead…
If only Smart Meters din’t have a remote off-switch I might consider joining in.

Good interview. Enjoyed listening to it all.

Like @25 quid said above, the problem of when is the best time to charge sounds like one of the next things to tackle.

Wouldn’t it be good if there was an industry standard API that all suppliers could offer that simple  published when load on the grid was low and electricity was cheep. The chargers could then wait for the suppliers to tell them that charging is cheep NOW, so they would then start. Of course there has to be workarounds and other overrides available. This could even be extended to other electrical appliances too.

The possibilities are endless :)

Wouldn’t it be good if there was an industry standard API that all suppliers could offer that simple  published when load on the grid was low and electricity was cheep. The chargers could then wait for the suppliers to tell them that charging is cheep NOW, so they would then start.

Dynamic pricing @GrahamAllwood ?

Sounds like the future - which is where we’re headed of course :slight_smile:

Same tech could also determine when energy is at its most renewable, too?

Exactly @Marc . So well put :)

As @GrahamAllwood says, how established are the APIs to allow household items to liaise with the meter to decide on best times to use (or not use) energy?

i.e. when to charge a car, when to let the freezer warm up a little...

We just need the EV charger industry to fall in line too and use common supplier API :fingers_crossed:

Thanks for your questions! :smiley:

Check out part 1 of the interview with Robert Llewellyn…

And part 2! (featuring your questions)

I just watched these this evening and enjoyed it. Thanks for doing it. Looking forward to find out more about your EV tariffs!