Hot Topic

Pure Planet EVs update September 2020 - new EV web tools, home charger partnership, tariff latest

• 23 September 2020
  • 22 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6139 replies

Hi everyone

We’ve got some exciting news to share with EV drivers and Pure Planet Members thinking about getting their first EV.

Check out our new EV pages and tools on the Pure Planet website! A big thanks to community Members for helping us test this out over the last few months. Shout out to @Strutt G  @Gwyndy  @andyseal @matthewr @Daspy @forceword :relaxed:

The new features - which we’ll build on and add to over time -  includes a way to see how much it’ll cost to charge different models with Pure Planet; a find-a-charger map for charging on the go; and lots of information about the benefits of driving electric when powered by renewable energy.

This is step one in encouraging greater adoption of EVs and, while this is aimed at EV ‘newbies’ mostly for now, we’ll be working on more info over time.

Home charging news

We’re also happy to announce a new service to help Pure Planet Members get their first EV charger installed at home.

We’ve partnered with EO to offer the EO Mini Pro charger.

The EV charger from EO

The EO Mini Pro has some great features, including:

• It’s connected to the internet via Wifi - it can then be monitored and controlled via the EO app

• It is one of the smallest charge points available

• For those with solar panels, it can automatically charge the EV with any excess solar generation that would otherwise be exported to the grid

• It has a power balancing feature meaning it will adjust the EV charging rate according to the amount of electricity being used in the home

• It is available as a tethered or untethered chargepoint, in four different colours

The EO Mini Pro costs £545 including installation after the £350 Government grant.

A close-up of the EO Mini Pro home charger

To find more details contact EO directly on 0333 77 20383 or via their website. When you’re ready to start just complete this online form.

Pure Planet Futures

As you know, we’ve been running an EVs pilot with Pure Planet Members since March this year.

One of the first stages in the pilot was to see how existing EV drivers are charging - when, where, how often.

Thanks to you, we’re getting very close to revealing a new tariff for EV drivers.

We’re expecting to announce our tariff next month or November, depending on testing. We’ll offer it to community Members first and it’ll go live to all soon after that. If you’re an EV driver already on a fixed tariff with Pure Planet, one thing we can say now is that we won’t charge you an exit fee to switch to the EV tariff.

Much more EV tariff detail will come soon. Meanwhile, please do take a look at the new EV pages on our website and let us know what you think. Of course we’ll be adding more info over the coming weeks and months, including a database of different EV models 

Half hourly readings

The first version of the EV tariff will be a simple, night rate service, giving our Members cheaper renewable energy to charge their cars when demand for energy is cheaper.

But we’re already working on future plans for more dynamic charging and pricing using smart meter technology.

About a dozen or so Members who have completed our EVs pilot form are now sending us half-hourly readings. This gives us valuable information to test as well as learn from.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s chat about them in the replies below.

22 replies

Hi @Marc

This is great news!

Just in case, I have submitted the EVs pilot form again. If I had filled it in previously then we did not have a smart meter yet but now we do.

Really looking forward to the overnight cheap rate / EV tariff tariff and later something even more advanced that takes advantage of the half-hourly readings.
Most of our house is ‘smart home ready’ and I know how to write code to automate further based on the electricity supply price.

We have our 7kW home charger scheduled for installing in 3-4 weeks time (not an EO, but similar advanced features). Until then we have three outdoor 3-pin sockets available each on different ring circuits.

(We have 2 EVs totalling ~90kWh of batteries to charge up)

@Marc - when do you expect the EV tariff to be available for customers to switch to?

@Marc- when do you expect the EV tariff to be available for customers to switch to?

Hey @Ohit 

I did add that in the post :slight_smile:

We’re expecting to announce our tariff next month or November, depending on testing. We’ll offer it to community Members first and it’ll go live to all soon after that. If you’re an EV driver already on a fixed tariff with Pure Planet, one thing we can say now is that we won’t charge you an exit fee to switch to the EV tariff.

Mind you, it’s a long post with loads of detail, so I’m not surprised if you missed it!

@Marc- when do you expect the EV tariff to be available for customers to switch to?

Hey @Ohit 

I did add that in the post :slight_smile:

Mind you, it’s a long post with loads of detail, so I’m not surprised if you missed it!

Thanks, and apologies for missing it!

I am looking forward to find what the rates are!

Userlevel 1

I only signed up to switch today, as having 100% renewable electricity is high on my list.  My previous provider uses renewable, but have just had a substantial price increase.  I didn’t realise how proactive you are regarding EVs.  I have a Zero DSR motorcycle that pre-COVID I commuted on daily, and perhaps if office work become routine again, I’ll do the same.  Having an EV tariff is certainly of interest.

Regards

I am just in the middle of switching to pure planet and expecting my new electric vehicle delivery 1st October. I already have a pod point home charger so hoping I can take advantage of the new tariff 

Welcome to the community @ReallySwift1 @Mattc1978 

Sounds like you’ve both got great timing! Nice one for getting stuck in. :thumbsup:

I have a Zero DSR motorcycle

Cool! I think that’s a first for us here @ReallySwift1 an electric motorbike. Hence your username?!

What kind of EV are you getting next week @Mattc1978 ? I’m always curious to know which ones people go for :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1

Cool! I think that’s a first for us here @ReallySwift1 an electric motorbike. Hence your username?!

Well the Zero isn’t quite as quick as the Triumph Speed Triple I traded in for it, but it is only a few tenths of a second slower 0-60 mph on paper.  In reality it’s probably about equal, as there are no shift points to optimise, just twist hard and hang on :wink:  Top speed is 106 but that is certainly adequate for passing safely and torque is readily on tap.  One big thing was how easy it was to not stop for fuel every third day, ride to work, ride home, plug it in, ready in the morning.  Simple.

just twist hard and hang on :wink:  Top speed is 106 but that is certainly adequate for passing safely and torque is readily on tap.  One big thing was how easy it was to not stop for fuel every third day, ride to work, ride home, plug it in, ready in the morning.  Simple.

Ha, simple as that! Good for you, sounds great :slight_smile:

Is it true @ReallySwift1 that when buying an electric motorbike that you choose your preferred ‘engine’ noise? A PP colleague says he went to a showroom and they ask you to sit in a studio and listen from several engine sounds, and you get to pick one. Or was he winding me up?! :laughing:

Userlevel 1

Is it true @ReallySwift1 that when buying an electric motorbike that you choose your preferred ‘engine’ noise? A PP colleague says he went to a showroom and they ask you to sit in a studio and listen from several engine sounds, and you get to pick one. Or was he winding me up?! :laughing:

Zero doesn’t do that but it wouldn’t surprise me if other vendors did. :-)

Looking forward to the new EV tariff. We get our first EV (Nissan Leaf) at the end of October or start of November so the timing works perfectly. Currently on the fixed tariff so it is good to see that we would be able to switch without penalty.

Welcome to the community @ReallySwift1 @Mattc1978 

Sounds like you’ve both got great timing! Nice one for getting stuck in. :thumbsup:

I have a Zero DSR motorcycle

Cool! I think that’s a first for us here @ReallySwift1 an electric motorbike. Hence your username?!

What kind of EV are you getting next week @Mattc1978 ? I’m always curious to know which ones people go for :slight_smile:

I'm getting a peugeot 2008 gt 

Nice! Apparently Peugot have pledged to have an EV version of every one of its models by 2023.

I bet you’re looking forward to getting it @Mattc1978 :wink:

This is interesting. Over the last 2.5 years of talking to PP Members in this community, the number of names/models/types of EVs has really grown. It wasn’t that long ago when the only names being mentioned were Nissan Leaf and Tesla. 

how exciting already a member and hoping to get an EV in the December, an Audi Etron which has a 95kwh battery so very interested in the new tarrifs.

how exciting already a member and hoping to get an EV in the December, an Audi Etron which has a 95kwh battery so very interested in the new tarrifs.

Great stuff @AliAndersonDonovan 

Welcome to the community too! :relaxed:

Is it true @ReallySwift1 that when buying an electric motorbike that you choose your preferred ‘engine’ noise? A PP colleague says he went to a showroom and they ask you to sit in a studio and listen from several engine sounds, and you get to pick one. Or was he winding me up?! :laughing:

Thought of you over the weekend @ReallySwift1 when I saw a trailer for the new TV show with Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman called ‘Long Way Up’. 13,000 miles up South America, crossing 16 borders, on a pair of electric motorbikes!!! Would you be up for that? :laughing:

Userlevel 1

Thought of you over the weekend @ReallySwift1 when I saw a trailer for the new TV show with Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman called ‘Long Way Up’. 13,000 miles up South America, crossing 16 borders, on a pair of electric motorbikes!!! Would you be up for that? :laughing:

I saw that as well, good on them.  If I was independently wealthy, you bet I’d do it!

Took delivery of a Hyundai Kona Premium SE, 64kW in early September. Averaging 304 miles on a full charge. If you can get the EV rate at a competitive level you might just have a customer for life. 

Took delivery of a Hyundai Kona Premium SE, 64kW in early September. Averaging 304 miles on a full charge. If you can get the EV rate at a competitive level you might just have a customer for life. 

304 miles! That’s brilliant @Jim1888 

Nearly twice the range of my Leaf! Not that I’m really driving anywhere further than about 20 miles these days, but still…

Welcome to the community :relaxed:

Userlevel 1

Switch to PP complete a month ago. No Smart meters installed yet, desperately waiting to be contacted by PP to get them installed. Charging my Tesla 3 via my 3 pin plug at home only at the moment to gauge the costs by taking manual meter readings before taking the plunge on a home charger - question i ask myself is do I need the quicker charge, or am I ok from the 3 pin? The cost is the same to charge with a 3 pin or a 7KW charger, I mean 50KW is 50KW whether it takes 1 hour or 14 hours. So do I need to pay for a 7KW charger even at the special price PP has negotiated with EO for their mini? I’m not sure yet, not sure if there is a benefit - unless I’m looking at it completely wrong?

Hey @Sbeagen, see your other quacking post.