Pure Planet EVs pilot - call for Members to help with new project

• Community Manager
  • 5649 replies

Hi everyone

Exciting news! We’re looking for Pure Planet Community Members to join our new electric vehicle (EV) pilot. 😀

We’ve had lots of feedback and some great discussions about what Pure Planet, as a digital-first renewable energy supplier, could offer EV drivers.

We’re now ready to start a small pilot with a handful of EV drivers to help us test and develop our ideas before we offer them to all.

If you’re already driving an EV and you’re on supply with Pure Planet, and you’re up for testing different propositions around tariffs, charging home and away, hardware installations, integration with smart meters, time of use charging, and much more, this could be for you!You’ll also need a second generation smart meter (aka SMETS2) - or be willing for us to install one for you.

You’ll also need patience and a degree of flexibility. 😉As this is the chance for us to test lots of new different combinations of products and tariffs, it’s likely that we’ll encounter a few teething problems along the way.
That’s the point, in fact, so we all learn.

There’s going to be several phases of the pilot. We definitely expect things to change and adapt depending on Members’ feedback and what we discover from the pilot as we progress, but here’s an outline.

Phase 1. We’ll need about 10 EV drivers to give us permission to take half-hourly electric meter readings from your smart meter. If you don’t have a smart meter we’ll install one. Then we’ll ask you to keep charging your EV as normal, but to keep a diary of charge times. We’ll give you a £20 credit on your Pure Planet account each month of the pilot.

Phase 2. This phase will be to test different EV tariffs.

Phase 3. Home charger install. This phase will be working with Pure Planet Members who are about to buy or lease their first EV, and need a home charger installed.

Phase 4. Looking at charging options when on the road.

Phase 5. Time of use. The final stage of our pilot will be to make better use of smart meter technology which will mean EVs can automatically be charged only when prices are low, and charging will be paused if there’s a spike.
We’d also like to look into integration with home batteries for energy storage, too.

We think that, overall, the pilot could last about six months, or possibly until the end of 2020, and it’s likely that more EV drivers will be invited to join us as we progress.

What we’ll need from you is a few hours of your time each month - for conversations in the community about the pilot’s progress and your general feedback on what’s working; to keep records of your EV charging; to join us for occasional conference calls online; maybe even to come to Pure Planet HQ or for meet-ups at EV events.

So if this sounds like something you’d like to help with, tell us a bit about yourself in the replies below, and most importantly don’t forget to head over to this EV pilot Google form to give us a bit more info about your current EV set-up, and I will be in touch by direct messages here in the community in the next few weeks. 👍

Update Fri 19th June 2020

The first phase of our EV pilot is now completed.

Check out this post which has a summary, and outlines the next steps!

99 replies

Great opportunity there @Marc, unfortunately I’m still traditional ICE, but I look forward to hearing of the twists and turns as the trial progresses. I did consider a pun about electricity and 3 phases, but couldn’t work it out...
Hey @G4RHL
Just about to reply to your post over here about wanting to get your first EV sooner rather than later.
Bear in mind phase 3 of our pilot - home charger installs. That might be good timing for you?
Just a thought 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Nicely thought out and a great incentive - how refreshing this all continues to be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Great initiative and another example of Pure Planet getting ahead of the game 👏👏. Like 25 quid, I am still running an ICE, however, I would switch tomorrow if the finances were favourable.
👍👍
Badge
Probably up for this. Still a bit confused about whether a smart meter means I lose my Feed In Tariff. I know I would have to notify Microtricity of smart meter install, but not sure what they do with that info.
Hi There - we're on the cusp of buying an EV and we're actually considering (sadly) whether we'd be better of moving from Pure Planet once we had it. V2G solutions are really interesting to us. So this may have come just at the right time (as we love Pure for everything else!)

I'll fill in the form and look forward to hearing more. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Brunel
have you read through this thread? I did and I haven't recovered yet...
Brunel;49487:
Probably up for this. Still a bit confused about whether a smart meter means I lose my Feed In Tariff. I know I would have to notify Microtricity of smart meter install, but not sure what they do with that info.
Badge
woz;49495:
hi Brunel
have you read through this thread? I did and I haven't recovered yet...

i read the thread and it hurt my head. Technically I get that I would have to tell Microtricity, but not sure if they will demand I give an export reading and stop the deemed export. Or they may be lazy and still just ask for generation reading. I better do a spreadsheet, but if I assume I might get a low off peak rate under future tariffs it might be worth doing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
ha! I did warn you - it's a ****** minefield...
Brunel;49502:
i read the thread and it hurt my head. Technically I get that I would have to tell Microtricity, but not sure if they will demand I give an export reading and stop the deemed export. Or they may be lazy and still just ask for generation reading. I better do a spreadsheet, but if I assume I might get a low off peak rate under future tariffs it might be worth doing.
Toronado;49494:
Hi There - we're on the cusp of buying an EV and we're actually considering (sadly) whether we'd be better of moving from Pure Planet once we had it. V2G solutions are really interesting to us. So this may have come just at the right time (as we love Pure for everything else!)

I'll fill in the form and look forward to hearing more. Thanks!

Fantastic stuff @Toronado
😁
Nice one for getting involved.
Badge +1
Wish I could participate in this Marc. Unfortunately I have neither an EV nor a smart meter ☹️

Maybe next time.
Badge +2
Sounds like a great project and something I'd love to be involved in - if only I had an EV. I'm working on it!!
Oakbank;49584:
Wish I could participate in this Marc. Unfortunately I have neither an EV nor a smart meter ☹️

Maybe next time.

Definitely @Oakbank 😊
I am just about to consider switching away from PP as other suppliers are offering vehicle to grid and vehicle to home trials.

Having a regular charger installed is not as attractive as getting a V2G or V2H compatible charger installed.

At the moment there is no incentive to have a EV with PP, even more so if you charge elsewhere that has green energy i.e. lots of workplaces make use of 0 carbon offerings for EV points.

If you want to run your EV on your micro-generation setup its very hard to do all year round, so we need more green rates!

Whoever offers a simple monthly/annual net zero package with a EV lease, import export to grid/home will be onto a winner. The export guarantee is a red herring, V2G/V2H is more useful, even early on at just 6kW worth of 1P with SEG ontop later on.
Hi
We have ha Pure Planet energy for 1 year.
We are just purchasing an EV car so we would bet happy to be involved with your trials.
We hare currently part od a telecom test team so are used to the questionairs and activities you would require us to do
We have our first EV on order expected to take receipt between now and May (Skoda Citygo). It’ll be used for commuting with charging at home being the main way to charge: We don’t have a smart meter and really want one.

We are interested in this pilot. We are currently considering looking at other energy suppliers as Pure planet doesn’t currently do anything for EVs. Looking at all suppliers it’s-
Tariffs that work best for EV charging in the evening and weekends. Home charging unit installation discounts, Vehicle to Grid schemes and of course Smart Meter installation are the features that really attract us. Hopefully Pure Planet will have something to offer EV owners shortly.

We have now done the form for the pilot.
LeedsGreen;49699:
Hi
We have ha Pure Planet energy for 1 year.
We are just purchasing an EV car so we would bet happy to be involved with your trials.
We hare currently part od a telecom test team so are used to the questionairs and activities you would require us to do

Nice one @LeedsGreen
Be sure to fill out the Google form if you haven't already done so.
I will be in touch soon 😊
Nic Davis;49721:
We have our first EV on order expected to take receipt between now and May (Skoda Citygo). It’ll be used for commuting with charging at home being the main way to charge: We don’t have a smart meter and really want one.

We are interested in this pilot
We have now done the form for the pilot.

Great stuff @Nic Davis
​​​​​​​I've not come across the Citigo before. Is it a full EV or a hybrid?
Hiya, it’s a full EV, made by Skoda and new this year. Not in country yet but we already had a petrol Citigo and have been really happy with it. The citigo is also coming in as the cheapest EV around. Clearly it’s smaller etc but ideal for what we need.
This sounds amazing. My friends have just switched to an octopus agile tariff which monitors usage every 30 mins with different rates, so know exactly what your are probably trialling.

I drive a MY17 BMW i3 94Ah pure EV. Been an ev owner since March 2015 with my first EV a 60Ah BMW i3.

On average I achieve 4.2miles per kwH through out the year and will never go back to an ICE.

I know I'm not on the forums much, but anything to promote BEV usage and you have my full attention!
Nic Davis;49777:
Hiya, it’s a full EV, made by Skoda and new this year. Not in country yet but we already had a petrol Citigo and have been really happy with it. The citigo is also coming in as the cheapest EV around. Clearly it’s smaller etc but ideal for what we need.

Fantastic 😀
Ah, your first EV? Exciting times!
Stealth;49782:
This sounds amazing. My friends have just switched to an octopus agile tariff which monitors usage every 30 mins with different rates, so know exactly what your are probably trialling.

I drive a MY17 BMW i3 94Ah pure EV. Been an ev owner since March 2015 with my first EV a 60Ah BMW i3.

On average I achieve 4.2miles per kwH through out the year and will never go back to an ICE.

I know I'm not on the forums much, but anything to promote BEV usage and you have my full attention!

Great stuff @Stealth
Get involved! 😉
Will you be up for the EV pilot?
Marc;49788:

Will you be up for the EV pilot?

​​​​​​​Absolutely. Filled in the ev form you requested.
Stealth;49790:
​​​​​​​Absolutely. Filled in the ev form you requested.

Nice one @Stealth
We've got quite a few Members up for taking part, which is great.
Look out for updates soon!
I have just bought an e golf and am interested in hearing more about the pilot