Solved

Prepering for EV

• 12 November 2020
  • 15 replies

Hi

I'm planning on getting an EV soon. I understand that I need a 100 amp fuse. Is there a way I can find out if I have that already? 

Also, how can I find out if the tails are 16mm or 25mm already?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by woz 13 November 2020, 02:45

@RichardDM 

Your DNO should be able to tell you if you have a 100A fuse, the fuse carrier may well be marked 100A but sometimes it can be marked 100A but have an 80A fuse in it. If it’s marked 80A (or sometimes less!) it almost certainly wont be a 100A fuse.

You’ll also need to have an isolation switch fitted if you don’t already have one.

The tails are what come into and out of the meter, 16mm tails have a smaller diameter than 25mm tails, 25mm usually around 11.5-12mm diameter, 16mm tails 9 to 10mm.

IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING DON’T GO POKING AROUND  THE METER, especially with a metal tool like a vernier.

if you cut an exact 1cm gap in a piece of card and slip it onto the tail, if the gap isn’t big enough chances are they are 25mm.

Use wattbot to ask for a quote. log in, Help and support>ask a question

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@RichardDM 

Your DNO should be able to tell you if you have a 100A fuse, the fuse carrier may well be marked 100A but sometimes it can be marked 100A but have an 80A fuse in it. If it’s marked 80A (or sometimes less!) it almost certainly wont be a 100A fuse.

You’ll also need to have an isolation switch fitted if you don’t already have one.

The tails are what come into and out of the meter, 16mm tails have a smaller diameter than 25mm tails, 25mm usually around 11.5-12mm diameter, 16mm tails 9 to 10mm.

IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING DON’T GO POKING AROUND  THE METER, especially with a metal tool like a vernier.

if you cut an exact 1cm gap in a piece of card and slip it onto the tail, if the gap isn’t big enough chances are they are 25mm.

Use wattbot to ask for a quote. log in, Help and support>ask a question

Hi

I'm planning on getting an EV soon. I understand that I need a 100 amp fuse. Is there a way I can find out if I have that already? 

Also, how can I find out if the tails are 16mm or 25mm already?

Thanks

Further to what @woz has already said, also check the tails going into your consumer unit. They are likely to be ok, but from experience, not always.

We got upgraded from 60A to 100A but only after our consumer tails were fitted to 25mm first.

I have a PDF from our local DNO that explains the process and combinations of things that they consider acceptable. Let me figure out how to share it with everyone.

@woz that's great, thanks, will check with my DNO.

@Ohit that would be super, yes please!.

On a different note, it looks like you may be an Andersen A2 customer. How good have you found it? They look amazing, but I've seen a few negative reports, especially around installation and customer service

@woz love that tip on the 1cm cut out! The box that wires come out of has 100a written on it, and the insulated tails are >1cm so looks good to me.

The DNO needed me to apply for someone to come out and check which wasn't quite what I was expecting - but then again, I guess my expectations were a bit high to expect them to know what's on my fuse box! 

@Ohit that would be super, yes please!.

Uploaded here, hopefully downloading works:
https://gofile.io/d/3XPeoC

On a different note, it looks like you may be an Andersen A2 customer. How good have you found it? They look amazing, but I've seen a few negative reports, especially around installation and customer service

Asthetics is why you go for the Andersen A2. It is the only charger I could find that has the cable neatly stowed away when not in use. There is also enough colour combinations to match (or stand out) your existing house front.

It works great and just as it should.

Customer service is getting better. They are a relatively new company and just got overwhelmed with the demand to produce and ship their product.

Installation is down to who you get. I found my own installer (Andersen trained/approved) who did a great job. They are called Artisan Electrics: https://artisanelectrics.co.uk/

If cable flapping about or looks is less of a concern, go for something like a Zappi instead or Pure Planet’s deal on EO chargers.

@woz love that tip on the 1cm cut out! The box that wires come out of has 100a written on it, and the insulated tails are >1cm so looks good to me.

The DNO needed me to apply for someone to come out and check which wasn't quite what I was expecting - but then again, I guess my expectations were a bit high to expect them to know what's on my fuse box!

That is great that you already have a 100A fuse! Your consumer unit tails are probably already ok too then.

Do you already have an isolator switch fitted as well? If not, get that done at least (Pure Planet can arrange that).

I found our DNO to be very helpful and friendly, so don’t be concerned about calling them out. And they do it all free of charge.

Do you already have an isolator switch fitted as well? If not, get that done at least (Pure Planet can arrange that).

Hmm, not sure on that one. There's this on the fuse box. Does that count?!

Hmm, not sure on that one. There's this on the fuse box. Does that count?!

No, that’s the main switch on your consumer unit.

If you have spare/ways slots in your consumer unit then you may be fine - any electrician can use those spares to install the EV charger circuit.

The isolator switch sits after the meter before your consumer unit. The idea is that an electrician can completely turn off the power to isolate the consumer unit and work safely on it.
The isolator switch is also useful to install a secondary consumer unit and/or henley block off the main incoming supply - same idea, electrician isolates the power and can safely work on your domestic electrics.

Maybe actually instead first find an electrician you want to use for the EV charger install, send them a bunch of photos and they can decide how they want to install it. Only then get the isolator switch if they request it.

No, that’s the main switch on your consumer unit…..

The isolator switch sits after the meter before your consumer unit. The idea is that an electrician can completely turn off the power to isolate the consumer unit and work safely on it.

You can tell I’m not an electrician! I’m learning so much through this whole process! Thanks for all the replies. 

I think. found the isolator! (The fuse box is above)

Asthetics is why you go for the Andersen A2. It is the only charger I could find that has the cable neatly stowed away when not in use. There is also enough colour combinations to match (or stand out) your existing house front.

Customer service is getting better. They are a relatively new company and just got overwhelmed with the demand to produce and ship their product.

Installation is down to who you get. I found my own installer (Andersen trained/approved) who did a great job. They are called Artisan Electrics: https://artisanelectrics.co.uk/

If cable flapping about or looks is less of a concern, go for something like a Zappi instead or Pure Planet’s deal on EO chargers.

That’s good to hear, and thanks for the link to Artisan. 

Unfortunately, the Andersen isn’t something you can ‘unsee’! Everything else looks pretty untidy in comparison. Given the amount I’m forking out on this car, I kind of figure so-what to an extra £500

No, that’s the main switch on your consumer unit…..

You can tell I’m not an electrician! I’m learning so much through this whole process! Thanks for all the replies. 

I think. found the isolator! (The fuse box is above)

You have an isolator switch!

You’re all good to go. Just order the EV Charger now :)

That’s good to hear, and thanks for the link to Artisan. 

No problem. Jordan is the owner and the quality of his work is great. Watch his videos on YouTube if you have time.

Unfortunately, the Andersen isn’t something you can ‘unsee’! Everything else looks pretty untidy in comparison. Given the amount I’m forking out on this car, I kind of figure so-what to an extra £500

Absolutely agree. That was my logic too.

If Zappi’s next product also achieves neat cable stow-away, then that would then become my charger of choice as Zappi are leaps ahead in the the smart home features/integration side of things. But I suspect that is a long while away.

I should add that the Andersen charging cable is unique and patented by them. It’s much more flexible (than standard Type2 cables that come with every EV), which was needed so that can wrap the cable tightly (and hidden away by the front panel).
The net result as a user is that it is not heavy, does not require full unwinding to use and sits nicely on route to your car.
In other words: you do feel like you are paying that extra for some real engineering too and not just looks :wink:

What EVs are you considering ?

I should add that the Andersen charging cable is unique and patented by them. It’s much more flexible (than standard Type2 cables that come with every EV), which was needed so that can wrap the cable tightly (and hidden away by the front panel).
The net result as a user is that it is not heavy, does not require full unwinding to use and sits nicely on route to your car.
In other words: you do feel like you are paying that extra for some real engineering too and not just looks :wink:

That's really useful to hear. The location of where the box will probably be fitted means that the cable will go across the front of the garage. My fear with that is that I will plug the car in, inevitably forget that I've done that, and later open the garage door - with the chance that the cable will get ripped out; or the garage door will fail! I'm guessing with a more flexible cable, it should sit more neatly on the floor when charging, rather than trail across the front of the garage door.

It’s an iPace that’s top of the list!

That's really useful to hear. The location of where the box will probably be fitted means that the cable will go across the front of the garage. My fear with that is that I will plug the car in, inevitably forget that I've done that, and later open the garage door - with the chance that the cable will get ripped out; or the garage door will fail! I'm guessing with a more flexible cable, it should sit more neatly on the floor when charging, rather than trail across the front of the garage door.

Maybe consider the Andersen with the longer 7m cable.

It’s an iPace that’s top of the list!

Nice. But get the Tesla instead ;-)