POLL: Would you take a ride in a self-driving autopilot car?

• Community Manager
  • 5822 replies

Here’s an interesting looking video showing how a Tesla autopilot ‘sees’ the road.

Looks pretty cool! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But would you be happy to go for a ride - without a driver?

Would you take a ride in a self-driving car?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Once I’m 500% certain of the safety, I am sooooooooooo for this 🙀👍👏👏👏👏. Surely got to be one of the most awesome radical innovations to date. The thought of totally relaxing on a journey, stress free,  BUT being totally alone, in comfort of own, hygienic vehicle, eating and drinking when you want, no one farting and belching on the seat opposite, or worse still, snoring! 🙄🙄🙄🙄. Got to be a no brainer this! Absolute bliss IMO 👍👍👍👏👏👏💕

Badge

I think that the main weakness for self driving vehicles is the human element -autonomous vehicles have to share the roads and spaces that they occupy with humans. People just do the strangest most unpredictable and irrational things!

For example I work in a hospital: due to the current CV-19 situation there are stickers on the floor every one meter there are two types of stickers one says to keep two meters apart and the other says to keep to the left and they alternate. The number of people that resolutely walk on the right and tailgate walking through crowded areas is astoundingly high.

Any incident involving autonomous vehicles is always sensationalized and many will declare the technology unsafe,  I’m sure if analysed as a percentage  of incidents per km driven or hours etc we’d see a different picture.

Unfortunately I don’t think the world is quite ready for them yet. I would be happy to travel in an automated vehicle that shared it’s space exclusively with other automated vehicles. But add human drivers, pedestrians and cyclists to the mix - I’ll pass for now.

Unfortunately I don’t think the world is quite ready for them yet. I would be happy to travel in an automated vehicle that shared it’s space exclusively with other automated vehicles. But add human drivers, pedestrians and cyclists to the mix - I’ll pass for now.

Good point @greenstripe 

My bet is that the insurance companies will make it happen. It’ll be so much cheaper to insure an automated car… only the super rich will get to drive their own!

Are the super rich any better drivers though?! :thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Looks great 👍👍👍

Badge +1

I’m a bit too much of a control freak. It looks very impressive and I’m not against the technology but it would take an incredible amount of convincing for me at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You see, I’m the same re control nanny, I’m the same, yet no, with this, .I soooooooooo think it’d be awesome, and the future. I’m eager for it to become the norm, so yes when fully fully fully tested and everyone’s doing it, but I think I’d be eager to use, think it’d be brilliant 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏

Maybe not if it’s an Uber!

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/11/how-terrible-software-design-decisions-led-to-ubers-deadly-2018-crash/

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it’s someone pushing a bicycle! How indecision is even worse for a computer than it is for us humans.

Hey @25 quid  If you’re following the Uber adventures and autopilot stuff check out this blog by Brad Templeton - I think you’d like him. He’s like a ‘Godfather’ of internetty things and self driving cars too :grimacing:

Wow, he’s prolific! 

No thanks, I think I'll chicken out of that one !! 

Userlevel 3

I’d certainly give it a go, but then I’ve been self driving for decades!

:laughing: