POLL: Should EVs be given green number plates?

• 22 October 2019
  • 25 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6131 replies
It looks like the Government may go ahead with plans to give all EV cars green number plates.

​The BBC is reporting that it'll make it easier for local authorities to 'enforce' cheaper parking and congestion zones.

​Do you think it's a good idea? And would you see if as a 'badge of honour' if you had an EV?

Should EVs get green number plates?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Oooooooh yes I saw this this morning and thought fab fab fab idea yes 👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Some voting the other way though @Bev
It would be interesting to know why 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Marc;40836:
Some voting the other way though @Bev
It would be interesting to know why 😕

I don't have a problem with EVs having a green number plate, and by all means install public chargers,but what I do have a problem with is the so called concessions attached to them.
By allowing EVs to use bus lanes, once you reach a certain take-up point, the bus lanes will become just another lane, negating the reason for the bus lanes in the first place. If you are stuck in traffic, at least you can do so safe in the knowledge that your car isn't polluting while stationary. Isn't that the reason for getting an EV in the first place.
Then you have free or reduced parking, all councils now rely on this income to top up their funds. By introducing free or reduced parking, the costs will be transferred to the very people that cannot afford to buy EVs in the first place,due to the high cost, thereby creating another class, where only the (relatively) wealthy get the perks.
Good points well made @Duppy
What about congestion/clean air zones? EVs tend to be exempt from these, even the London one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Marc;40883:
Good points well made @Duppy
What about congestion/clean air zones? EVs tend to be exempt from these, even the London one.

I don't have enough experience to comment on congestion zones, but you can guarantee that when the volume of EVs reach a tipping point, the council's will find another way of subsidising their income.
​​​​​​​Like the Road Fund License increases, a car registered in March 2017 taxed £20, registered in April 2017 taxed £145. Is it cynical to suggest that the increase is to subsidize the EVs £0 rating

​​​​​​​Just to point out that I am not anti EV, I would probably get one if I could afford it, but on a pension it's not likely
It's a bit virtue signalling but it's not a terrible idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
What's wrong with virtue signalling? It allows those of us who are perfect to maintain a deserved air of superiority.
i'm off out now to buy some fake EV number plates to put on my gas guzzler...
Antski;41512:
It's a bit virtue signalling but it's not a terrible idea.
Nope because it only serves to annoy others and implies EVs are green which overall they are not - speaking as an ev owner who has just retro fitted a 30kwh pack. Have contacts both at forefront of ev technologies in aerospace and automotive sectors and others working with street kids in DRC where most of our cobalt comes from.

​​​There's too much emphasis on one technology at the expense of others and on the flip side hugely wasteful scrappage schemes.

​​​​​​​Just to build and deliver a simple SUV to a UK dealer is equivalent pollution to 60,000 miles in a small petrol hatchback.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope because it only serves to annoy others and implies EVs are green which overall they are not - speaking as an ev owner who has just retro fitted a 30kwh pack. Have contacts both at forefront of ev technologies in aerospace and automotive sectors and others working with street kids in DRC where most of our cobalt comes from.

​​​There's too much emphasis on one technology at the expense of others and on the flip side hugely wasteful scrappage schemes.

​​​​​​​Just to build and deliver a simple SUV to a UK dealer is equivalent pollution to 60,000 miles in a small petrol hatchback.
I was initially against this because it does feel a bit virtue signalling, but did hear a convincing argument for more important reasons..

Firefighters are not all car geeks and some electric vehicles can look very similar to their fossil-fuelled stable mates. How emergency services react at accident scenes is important where high voltage is concerned. Whilst a vehicle might lose a plate in an accident, it's unlikely to lose both; speeding up the identification of an EV and how the emergency team should respond can only be a good thing.
Spike;42873:
I was initially against this because it does feel a bit virtue signalling, but did hear a convincing argument for more important reasons..

Firefighters are not all car geeks and some electric vehicles can look very similar to their fossil-fuelled stable mates. How emergency services react at accident scenes is important where high voltage is concerned. Whilst a vehicle might lose a plate in an accident, it's unlikely to lose both; speeding up the identification of an EV and how the emergency team should respond can only be a good thing.

Good point @Spike
That hadn't occurred to me at all.
Yes I can see why it will be v useful to emergency services.
I suppose one day it'll be petrol cars that'll need some special ID (to warn they contain flammable fluids, perhaps?) as EVs become the norm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@Spike makes a very good point. Despite that I was thinking all zero tax vehicles should sport green number plates for easier identification in inner city zones where congestion / emission charges may apply.
Well, green number plates for EVs are going to be a thing.
The Government just announced it's happening from autumn 2020.

​​​​​​​💚
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Saw this this morning and thought great, it’s come to fruition 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏
Badge
How long before green number plate stickers are available on eBay to put on ICE vehicles?

In order to try and cheat the system and take advantage of EV only privileges
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I imagine the large fines imposed on anyone found doing that might be a good incentive not to.(It would be obvious in most cases - an exhaust pipe is a bit of a giveaway and I assume it won't apply to hybrids)

greenstripe;56336:
How long before green number plate stickers are available on eBay to put on ICE vehicles?

greenstripe;56336:

Given your community username @greenstripe are you selling any? 😂😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
i can imagine their will soon be all sorts of diy idiots running to B&Q to buy green tape,
surly the girls and boys who spend all day sending fines out wont relie on a small silly green bit on a number plate and will stick to the ANPR cameras that seem more popular in london than street lights.

so will marc and all other current EV owners. Will you be going to halfords to purchase new number plates?
(other retailers are available)
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
The presence of an exhaust is a bit of a giveaway, so B&Q are going to have to stock invisibility cloaks too.
Jon1;56505:
i can imagine their will soon be all sorts of diy idiots running to B&Q to buy green tape,
surly the girls and boys who spend all day sending fines out wont relie on a small silly green bit on a number plate and will stick to the ANPR cameras that seem more popular in london than street lights.

so will marc and all other current EV owners. Will you be going to halfords to purchase new number plates?
(other retailers are available)
Badge
Marc;56494:

Damn I've been rumbled!🤣

Actually the username is one I've been using since 2011 when on car forums and I had Skoda Fabia Greenline II - see what I did there?

​​​​​​​That particular model was supposed to be super economical and environmentally friendly but was later proved to be one of the models implicated in VW's deisel emmisions scandal, however I had moved on to a different car by the time this came out.

- - - Updated - - -

Marc;56494:

Damn I've been rumbled!🤣

Actually the username is one I've been using since 2011 when on car forums and I had Skoda Fabia Greenline II - see what I did there?

​​​​​​​That particular model was supposed to be super economical and environmentally friendly but was later proved to be one of the models implicated in VW's deisel emmisions scandal, however I had moved on to a different car by the time this came out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thats an idea woz. In years to come there will be a market for fake exhausts and speakers that blast out "retro" engine noises. The chavs will lap them up.
this time in 2040 we will be millionaires. Or dead coz i got hit by a silent car.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
LOL OK I agree, great idea!(not the getting hit bit)- lets start a business I have a name Fexhausted or maybe Fexhaust.me (note the absence of a dot after the F). We need a good library of sounds, I'm happy to go out with my recorder looking for Lambos Ferraris and Mclarens, you can do the Trabants.
Jon1;56520:
Thats an idea woz. In years to come there will be a market for fake exhausts and speakers that blast out "retro" engine noises. The chavs will lap them up.
this time in 2040 we will be millionaires. Or dead coz i got hit by a silent car.
Badge
Fake exhausts and speakers are already a thing - a lot of manufacturers fit fake pipes and sound generators to moderate the sound of the cars on their sporty models.

All new Electric/Hybrid vehicles (as of July 2019) are also required to make a sound when traveling at 20kmph (12mph) or below so that pedestrians can hear them coming:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-systems-to-stop-silent-electric-cars-and-improve-safety
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
ahh yes, but fake exhausts on electric only vehicles? This will be a life enhancing product.
Our Copyrighted©️ Registered®️ and Patented℗ (or CR@P for short) product (soon to be available on all the best Chinese websites) will have the sound generator inside the fake exhaust - so doubters can stick that up their tailpipes....
or perhaps it's plan B then for get rich quick (or die trying...)

​​​​​​​On a serious note the sound generators are absolutely necessary not just for those who may be hearing impaired but for the Darwin theory testers who wear headphones while crossing the road.
greenstripe;56540:
Fake exhausts and speakers are already a thing - a lot of manufacturers fit fake pipes and sound generators to moderate the sound of the cars on their sporty models.

All new Electric/Hybrid vehicles (as of July 2019) are also required to make a sound when traveling at 20kmph (12mph) or below so that pedestrians can hear them coming:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-systems-to-stop-silent-electric-cars-and-improve-safety
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I already have taken the masseratti for a spin and got the sound recording ready for when marc wants his leaf to sound like its doing 120 down the m4 while humming his way to bath.

As a spinoff product im also printing off bumper stickers with logos such as "my other exhaust is a Ferrari " and " suck this pipe "

​​​​​​​wont be long before PP stands for PURE PIPES
greenstripe;56540:

I can see why from a safety perspective this is a good idea @greenstripe
But I have to say I think it's a shame too. The one good thing about life over the last couple of months has been the peace 'n' quiet of fewer cars on the road.