New homes could come with in-built chargers for electric vehicles

• 9 July 2018
  • 5 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5598 replies
New homes could come with in-built chargers for electric vehicles.

And if you don’t have a driveway you could use a lampost on the street.

The measures are being announced as the Government looks to increase the number of people switching to EVs, the BBC reports.

New ‘street columns’ with charging points would be for those in older properties or who don’t have off-street parking.

What does the community think? Will it encourage the adoption of EVs?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Bad idea.
What charger and its position will become a very personnel matter. By all means make new builds fusebox ready so that the install of said charger is easier and cheaper. Houses with only on street parking the availability of said parking tends to be at a premium so taking away 10% of spaces for charging points would cause anger amonst neighbours also people want to park outside their house so thats a lot of street lamps.
I think a policy of mass parking areas supermarkets,carparks etc should be made to provide an ever increasing number of charge points.imagine if your local supermarkets all had 200+ charging stations for example.
Also as the need for petrol/diesel reduces then forecouts will adapt and become destinations with charge points.
I have just acquired a second-hand BMW i3 for local use. It gently absorbs about 35 kWh of energy spread over a couple of nights weekly, using an ordinary 13-amp household socket. Of course, the car isn't parked on the road.

If anyone plans to charge using a household 13-amp socket, here are a few safety tips to follow:

1. Remember that the car draws up to 10 amps for many hours, which is nearly as much as the largest 3kW household electric heater, so that's quite a lot of heat energy throughput. This deserves taking seriously.

2. The car's mains plug is taken outside and can get muddy. Clean and polish its metal plug pins with a dry kitchen towel from time to time (don't use any water, polish or fluids, they are not necessary and will cause you problems). Your hedge trimmer with that muddy plug only operates for a few minutes and might get away with it, the car charger won't.

2. The first time you use a particular wall-socket check it after a short time of charging, say 15 minutes, to make sure it's still cool or barely warm to the touch. A sub-standard wall socket outlet or one with dirty pins will offer resistance to the flow of electricity which generates heat. A really poor socket can melt and will damage the wall, even if they are supposed to be fireproof.

3. If you use an extension cable, you must buy a proper one with (a) a waterproof housing on its outlet socket, (b) no reel, since reeled cables won't carry the rated current safely and can overheat and melt and (c) make sure it's rated for the full 13 amps. Many are rated at 5 amps or 10 amps and will heat up due to their thinner wires.

4. Remember not to leave the car's charger cable outside in the garden when you pop down the shops, since it's an expensive item and could be taken. If it's in the car boot or front storage, lock the car as it's only a matter of time before thieves find out you can sell them on-line for over £200 like they used to do with car radios a while ago.

For those with on-street parking, I wonder if there's some kind of fishing-rod gadget that could safely and legally take the cable high over the pavement? I have seen advertising-flag poles with a base plate that sits under a car wheel for stability and security. No doubt there would be objections to this, but in a few years sheer weight of numbers and changing emissions laws will change things.

Chris
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Informative reading Chris 👍👏
Hi @ORH
Thanks for your great post 🆙. As @Bev says, it's very informative. Nice one!
I've got a Leaf coming next month, and right now I'm going through the steps of getting a home charger installed.
But I was lucky to have the Leaf on loan for a week over the summer. I used a three-pin plug for that, but to be honest I didn't think it was a good thing to use all the time.
It's handy to have the cable that fits a three-pin plug in the boot, in case of emergency.
Are you thinking about getting a home charger installed?
ORH;13502:

If anyone plans to charge using a household 13-amp socket, here are a few safety tips to follow:

Great list.

I would also add, do not leave any cable coiled up when charging. If you are using an extension cable, make sure its fully unwound and not coiled/overlapping/tangled.

I remember this from my days running extension cables when we were rolling out PCs in the office - our H+S person was very strict on this.

Best recent explanation I have read was on SpeakEV...

"There's nothing 'magic' or electrical going on here: it's simply that the cable gives out a certain amount of heat, evenly along its length. If you spread the cable out, the heat escapes into the air and the temperature doesn't rise much. If you cram it into a small space (particularly wound with one layer over another so that the inner layer isn't in contact with the air at all), then the heat can't get out and it builds up to a high temperature and eventually melts."