Hot Topic

EV subscriptions - would you be interested?

• Community Manager
  • 6137 replies

Hey folks

As you all know, we’re running an EVs pilot to look at different options for our Members, as one size doesn’t fit all. 

So far we’ve taken a look at EV charging times and we’re investigating options for EV tariffs.

Members are also giving us feedback on new EV related tools which will go live soon! 

That’s not all!

We’d also be interested in looking at possible EV subscriptions. So that a Pure Planet Member can have an EV on a rolling monthly contract. Not a fixed lease, but not a hire car. Somewhere in the middle, more like a pay as you go phone where there’s no fixed term or contract.

Has anyone tried this before, and would you be interested?

We think this could be a good option for people who want to try an EV. Or who want an EV for occasional drivng but don’t need to buy one. 

It would be great to hear your thoughts. :pray:

15 replies

Hi,

Yes - I would consider it!

We have previously rented from Evezy (now called On.To). And are on the waiting list with  elmo drive.

For us, it was an experiment to see what models we like to then buy.

Right now in particular, I would be interested if company car billing was available - for the obvious tax benefits that are currently available (0% BIK etc.)

We have previously rented from Evezy (now called On.To). And are on the waiting list with  elmo drive.

Nice @Ohit And what was the outcome in terms of your preferences?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you know i live fairly remote, so if your saying PP would supply me with an EV and i then simply pay per mile to use it then provided the numbers add up i would consider it. I only do 5k per year so costs are fairly low but i need 24/7 uninterrupted  access to a car so these car club type things dont work for me. Well at least i have not found one that does.

Nice @Ohit And what was the outcome in terms of your preferences?

The Tesla's are perfect for long journeys: supercharging network just works, comfortable, all the entertainment tech, autopilot easy to drive, but too big and too much car for day-to-day around town driving (London).

We have tried: Leaf (both 1st and 2nd gen), Zoe, i3, Outlander PHEV and all the Tesla's (incl. original Roadster!).

We now own a used Kia Soul EV (the older shape) which is about 100miles range - enough for all our London driving.

We are in the market for a long range car. Eventually I think that will be a Tesla Model Y, but until then it will be a car subscription or a petrol car.

Company car billing is essential for us if we go the EV route.

Badge

Marc

I own a 30kwh Leaf with a range of about 100 miles, which meets my daily needs very adequately.

If the cost was attractive I would consider the proposed payg option if it made a longer range  EV available for occasional use as the need arose, e.g. holiday trips for a week or two, where a journey of several hundred miles over a number of days could be required.

Matthew

Hey folks

As you all know, we’re running an EVs pilot to look at different options for our Members, as one size doesn’t fit all. 

So far we’ve taken a look at EV charging times and we’re investigating options for EV tariffs.

Members are also giving us feedback on new EV related tools which will go live soon! 

That’s not all!

We’d also be interested in looking at possible EV subscriptions. So that a Pure Planet Member can have an EV on a rolling monthly contract. Not a fixed lease, but not a hire car. Somewhere in the middle, more like a pay as you go phone where there’s no fixed term or contract.

We think this could be a good option for people who want to try an EV. Or who want an EV for occasional drivng but don’t need to buy one. 

I would be interested in a EV tarrif as I run 2 100% EV and have 2 pod point home chargers - how can I join the trail? 

Hi Pure Planet peeps.

I am taking delivery of a Mercedes A250e in the next 6 weeks,  Therefore I have to get a charger installed. At the moment it is likely to be the Ohme 7.2  cabled version. In all the advertising it says smart charging at night etc. I haven’t given the installation the go-ahead for it to be installed yet.

So I have a few questions 

How do I get involved in the  phase 3 Pure Planet EV vehicle project.

If phase 3 is imminent should I delay the installation .

If I go ahead and get the above charger installed privately  would it be supported by Pure Planet as Octopus energy do now.

Happy to delay if you have something in the pipeline and charge at local supermarkets but kind of don’t want to put it off for months on end

cheers for any direction.

best regards

Paul

@James Norton / Paul ,

Check your meter tails. They may need upgrading. And also if you have an isolator switch or not. Pure Planet can arrange this upgrade, but get it booked in fast (if you need it) as the lead time can be weeks.

Also check your main fuse. If it is 80Amps or less, then it will need to be upgraded which your DNO can do for free of the above (meter tails) are already updated.

You will need the above confirmed regardless of charger unit choice or provider.

HTH

I would be very interested if you started to offer an EV tariff for overnight charging. 

peter 

Userlevel 4

I’d absolutely be interested!

Last month I got a “special offer” which seemed to entail buying a Corsa level EV for a mere £33,000.

My questions would be …

a) how far on a full charge carrying all that 24 carat gold trim,

and b) what sort of lemon do they think I am!

We do pretty low mileage these days so running costs being lower won’t help much.

I would suspect that this sort of pricing will only make people hang onto cars for longer /  keep buying used for as long as they can. This can’t be a good thing.

I’d love to go all electric I really would even if it was basic, but that corsa-like was just ridiculous.

My 2c anyway

We currently have a BMW i3 from OnTo (formerly Evezy) on a monthly subscription - we wanted to see if we could manage without off-road parking, and maybe try a few vehicles. It has been great for us, and we have stuck with the i3, but will probably buy in a year or two, when the current “new” cars are actually available. A limitation of the OnTo scheme for us is that it has not been possible to add our son (under 25, and resident in Italy) as a driver.

Userlevel 4

Thanks @TimSharrock , that’s interesting to know.

Certainly it’ll be interesting to see how the “previously loved” market matures.

One of my friends would love to be able to say “Sorry I’m not allowed to add you to the insurance” to his son :smiley:

How would you say the running costs purely on watts vs litres has been?

Thanks again for the response!

Be well

Steve

… How would you say the running costs purely on watts vs litres has been?

We generally get nearly 4 miles/kwh, and have so far paid almost nothing to charge except on long journeys  (GMEV at Manchester University, which has been free, but will change in the autumn, and also PodPoint at Tesco - free for up to two hours parking (but has moved some of our shopping to them))

Hey folks

That’s not all!

Tariffs 

It would be useful to know at what times of the day PurePlanet has excess electricity and would be able to offer a reduced rate for ev charging. I can be flexible about when I charge at home and would be looking for a flexible  charge structure (see Octopus Energy). I note that in California where they have lots of solar there is a demand drop in the middle of the day. I realise this is UK so that might only apply during the summer. Also if you knew there was to be a storm with lots of excess wind power during the night then with a suitable app you could get us all charging during that time and use energy that might otherwise have to be turned off.

I’d absolutely be interested!

Last month I got a “special offer” which seemed to entail buying a Corsa level EV for a mere £33,000.

My questions would be …

a) how far on a full charge carrying all that 24 carat gold trim,

and b) what sort of lemon do they think I am!

We do pretty low mileage these days so running costs being lower won’t help much.

I would suspect that this sort of pricing will only make people hang onto cars for longer /  keep buying used for as long as they can. This can’t be a good thing.

I’d love to go all electric I really would even if it was basic, but that corsa-like was just ridiculous.

My 2c anyway

Hi Steve

The figures for range depend on the roads you use. I have an MG ZS ev (which BTW was £25k new) and with a 44.5kw battery is claimed to do 160 miles. On motorways at 65 to 70mph I get 135miles range with 5 - 10 miles still left to avoid any anxiety. On ordinary A and B roads with 45 to 60 speeds  I get about 150miles with 5-10miles left for safety. I would suggest that the Polar network is good for cheap rapid charging (even the instant app is only 25p/kw) on longer trips although you may find you have to use whatever chargers are available which can be more expensive. That said I always start with a full charge at home at 15p per Kw.