EV’s and towing.

• 29 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
As much as I would like to go all electric I’m unaware of any EV today that can tow a caravan. Even a trailer with half a ton of logs seems too much for anything on the market today.

Sadly, for me at least, a geriatric high mileage 4x4 for towing, and a small EV for local trips seems to be the only way forward.

7 replies

Tesla model X is able to tow 2.5 tons but obviously will affect its 300+ mile range
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
At £78,000 for a Tesla X, you may as well buy a leaf and hire someone with a diesel to drive behind you...(and keep the change)
(sorry that was not a very environmentally sound joke)
Also worth noting that if you decide to tow with a non-type-approved vehicle (if you can find someone stupid enough to fit a tow bar to it) you won't be insured in the event of an accident.
woz;18499:
At £78,000 for a Tesla X, you may as well buy a leaf and hire someone with a diesel to drive behind you...(and keep the change)
(sorry that was not a very environmentally sound joke)
Also worth noting that if you decide to tow with a non-type-approved vehicle (if you can find someone stupid enough to fit a tow bar to it) you won't be insured in the event of an accident.

They can tow!
https://youtu.be/rvk4fNxF0l4
Badge +1
Not very practical. The roads around here are too narrow for most passenger jets. 😃
I have Tesla X andwe towed a heavy box trailer and we had 7 people on boatd.
Down side was that we lost 50% of range in the hills of Scotland.
A cold day, say 0 degs will lose say 10% and driving at 70 mph will lose 15%
The range is calculated at 20 drgs and 55mph as that is a common condition in California
That said there are a huge advantages to owning an EV and I love it. I wouldn’t ever go back to ICE.
Clysurv;25640:

A cold day, say 0 degs will lose say 10% and driving at 70 mph will lose 15%
The range is calculated at 20 drgs and 55mph as that is a common condition in California

Is that the same for all EVs @Clysurv ? Or just Tesla?

That said there are a huge advantages to owning an EV and I love it. I wouldn’t ever go back to ICE.

Same 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I think but not sure that the Jaguar i-Pace can tow, they do offer a tow bar as an extra, but against the idea is (a) the price and (b) it will drain the battery. However, for those that do not want to tow but to carry bikes or other things then it should not be a problem. Thule do a frame that fixes to the tow ball for carrying luggage etc and with a suitable box or basket, trips to the tip. The one issue may be getting someone to instal a two ball in some cases. With one or two cars towing is not advised and the manufacturer specifically does not provide for it or specify it is OK. In some of those cases your local installer cannot instal it as it would make the car illegal.