EV’s and towing.

• 29 November 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
As much as I would like to go all electric I’m unaware of any EV today that can tow a caravan. Even a trailer with half a ton of logs seems too much for anything on the market today.

Sadly, for me at least, a geriatric high mileage 4x4 for towing, and a small EV for local trips seems to be the only way forward.

15 replies

Tesla model X is able to tow 2.5 tons but obviously will affect its 300+ mile range
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
At £78,000 for a Tesla X, you may as well buy a leaf and hire someone with a diesel to drive behind you...(and keep the change)
(sorry that was not a very environmentally sound joke)
Also worth noting that if you decide to tow with a non-type-approved vehicle (if you can find someone stupid enough to fit a tow bar to it) you won't be insured in the event of an accident.
woz;18499:
At £78,000 for a Tesla X, you may as well buy a leaf and hire someone with a diesel to drive behind you...(and keep the change)
(sorry that was not a very environmentally sound joke)
Also worth noting that if you decide to tow with a non-type-approved vehicle (if you can find someone stupid enough to fit a tow bar to it) you won't be insured in the event of an accident.

They can tow!
https://youtu.be/rvk4fNxF0l4
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Not very practical. The roads around here are too narrow for most passenger jets. 😃
I have Tesla X andwe towed a heavy box trailer and we had 7 people on boatd.
Down side was that we lost 50% of range in the hills of Scotland.
A cold day, say 0 degs will lose say 10% and driving at 70 mph will lose 15%
The range is calculated at 20 drgs and 55mph as that is a common condition in California
That said there are a huge advantages to owning an EV and I love it. I wouldn’t ever go back to ICE.
Clysurv;25640:

A cold day, say 0 degs will lose say 10% and driving at 70 mph will lose 15%
The range is calculated at 20 drgs and 55mph as that is a common condition in California

Is that the same for all EVs @Clysurv ? Or just Tesla?

That said there are a huge advantages to owning an EV and I love it. I wouldn’t ever go back to ICE.

Same 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I think but not sure that the Jaguar i-Pace can tow, they do offer a tow bar as an extra, but against the idea is (a) the price and (b) it will drain the battery. However, for those that do not want to tow but to carry bikes or other things then it should not be a problem. Thule do a frame that fixes to the tow ball for carrying luggage etc and with a suitable box or basket, trips to the tip. The one issue may be getting someone to instal a two ball in some cases. With one or two cars towing is not advised and the manufacturer specifically does not provide for it or specify it is OK. In some of those cases your local installer cannot instal it as it would make the car illegal.

As much as I would like to go all electric I’m unaware of any EV today that can tow a caravan. Even a trailer with half a ton of logs seems too much for anything on the market today.

Sadly, for me at least, a geriatric high mileage 4x4 for towing, and a small EV for local trips seems to be the only way forward.

Yes I’m in the same boat.. would love an eve but can only see it for commuting and shopping and going to the yard but will still have to keep my £3k diesel up my sleeve for collecting logs and taking the pony anywhere.. just couldn’t justify the price of anything more than a basic eve model if their prices ever come down.. would like to see how the running & purchase cost compare  over the 500 miles I can get out a tank from my daily Honda.. !! 

Hi @MarieClare 

Welcome to the community! Nice one for getting stuck in. :relaxed:

You might want to take a look at this post - it’s a summary of driving my Nissan Leaf for a year.

Huge savings in terms of running costs. But, yes, I think the Leaf would struggle to tow anything heavier than a pushbike…..

I guess you’d need the electric Jaguar or a Tesla to tow a horsebox. Have you thought about leasing one for a few weeks to test it out?

Badge

I saw a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV silently towing a reasonably sized caravan off a campsite this weekend, OK it's not a BEV, but may be a viable solution for some, with a rated towing capacity of 1500 kg.

If you can charge at home and typically do a short daily mileage to work/schools/family/shops (~25 miles, double that if you can charge at work)  a PHEV can clock up a significant percentage of your annual milage on low carbon, cheap, electric power.

When you are towing it's going to be burning petrol if you’re going any distance, but it does have that advantage that you can just keep filling it up and do a road trip if you want to. I can’t think of many rapid charger locations capable of accommodating a 4x4 vehicle with a trailer or caravan attached? It’d be a pain having to unhitch before each charge.

Even if you tow fairly regularly it may only account for 10% of your annual mileage, so there's still scope for significant savings. There’s plenty of 3 year old Outlander PHEVs on Autotrader between £15 and £20K, just make sure you look at 4H and above model variants, the lower spec ones don’t run the heating/climate control without the engine running, which is miserable in the winter. They could certainly work out cheaper than running two vehicles with all the tax/insurance/servicing and fuel required.

It’s almost as though Nissan have been watching this thread @MarieClare @GarethHorne 

They’ve just announced the ‘Ariya’ - a fully electric SUV. Do the job? :thinking:  

Badge

There's more and more options coming along isn't there? It's just a matter of time before full EVs do the same as their ICE cousins. 

Looks like the Nissan Ariya will be able to pull a trailer, although given a rated towing capacity of only 1500lb (680kg), its not going to replace many  diesel 4x4s as the vehicle of choice for moving caravans, horseboxes and the like. 

It’s almost as though Nissan have been watching this thread @MarieClare @GarethHorne 

They’ve just announced the ‘Ariya’ - a fully electric SUV. Do the job? :thinking:  

Yes @GarethHorne you are so right.. unfortunately @Marc  the Ariya, only tows 681kg which won’t even pull the trailer at 770kg let alone the 450kg pony and by the time you add your saddle, etc and people it looks like I won’t be giving up the xtrail any time soon.. ah well🙏

Badge

One year on from the original post on this thread- has the market changed? Slightly I think.

Initially electric vehicles were available mostly at the top and bottom of the market with only a few exceptions. I think over the next couple of years as EVs become mainstream I think we are due for an explosion in the midrange.  I think 2021 will definitely see ’the rise of the EV’

For now you might be better off in a hybrid, but In a year’s time I reckon that we’ll see a lot more choice. 

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-electric-cars-for-towing/n19603

I think over the next couple of years as EVs become mainstream I think we are due for an explosion in the midrange.  I think 2021 will definitely see ’the rise of the EV’

For now you might be better off in a hybrid, but In a year’s time I reckon that we’ll see a lot more choice. 

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-electric-cars-for-towing/n19603

I would have said the same @greenstripe  But now I’m not so sure about 2021, given Covid-19 and all that. 

A side note. The other day I was in a web call with a fascinating guy called Brad Templeton (used to work at Waymo) who’s really into EVs and also automation.

He talked about how car companies view EVs and self-driving cars as being cars with computers, whereas the tech start-ups view them as being computers on wheels. 

And Brad also had this v interesting view that in the nea r future, instead of choosing one car to fit all needs for several years, we’ll end up choosing single ‘rides’ at a time.

Need to get into town? Book a one-seater fully electric small car.

Need to get to your cabin in the woods? Book a 4x4 hybrid for the weekend.

He’s got an old-school blog here:thumbsup: