EV drivers 'charging dangerously due to lack of public infrastructure'

• 30 May 2019
  • 3 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5836 replies
A charity says that a lack of public charging points in the UK is leading to EV owners to use multiple extension leads at home.

The charity called Electrical Safety First says it carried out a survey of EV owners and three quarters of them admitted to using a 'daisy-chain' of electrical leads at home because they don't have a EV charger installed.

There's no doubt we could do with more public charging points, because not everyone has the luxury of a private driveway at home for an EV charger, or a public charging point near where they live or work.

Would you 'hack' your own EV charging point at home?

3 replies

Badge +2
The sheer scale of on street parking in the UK will prevent the wide-scale adoption of EVs until proper infrastructure measures are taken.

I’m just surprised that any effective charging can occur due to the losses daisy chaining must introduce.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Useful in the winter for melting the snow at the same time...
Frightening...

Lenny;30273:
The sheer scale of on street parking in the UK will prevent the wide-scale adoption of EVs until proper infrastructure measures are taken.

I’m just surprised that any effective charging can occur due to the losses daisy chaining must introduce.
Lenny;30273:

Good point @Lenny
I suppose these owners try not to let the battery empty too much?