BBC Moneybox on electric cars

• 25 July 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 7799 replies
More questions than answers after listening, but that's no bad thing...
Link to the programme will be HERE

5 replies

Good spot @woz and thanks for sharing this with the community
I've had a listen and there's a lot chat about charging, mostly about the need for a public charging network which will work for all makes and models of EV.

Uncanny timing - I'm getting a Leaf 2 in 10 days (only for a week!) and I'm already worrying about how much charge it will come with! 😕:p
Not sure where my post belongs within the sub headings but here goes.

I am definitely an advocate for the environment and cleaner air, but sometimes I wish there were more emphasis on improving what we have already. Especially cars that has expended such a lot of energy to create in the first place.

For example the diesel car. Until diesel cars are no longer made brand new, why isn't there more emphasis on converting these cars to AdBlue? Maybe public transport and haulage for starters. The solution always seems to be around scrappage of working vehicles to be replaced with shiny new electric cars to keep money making the world go round. Electric cars are definitely the future, but don't scrap perfectly good cars to start this revolution.

I can remember when Digital TV was being enforced and flat screen TVs we're starting, it was heartbreaking to see so many newish cathode ray tube TVs dumped at the tip as old technology. There needs to be a mindset change.

Do you know I actually know someone who throws away their perfectly working kettle when they redecorate their kitchen because it no longer matches!! Insane !! 🤪

Sorry rant over, hope I've managed to get my point across.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I agree and perhaps we need a RECYCLING and related sub heading.
Unfortunately people are now conditioned to like to buy shiny new things.
The eco cost of producing the shiny new thing and scrapping the old one is never factored in.
It also hinges on what "economical to repair" means to each individual.
Economical to repair stops at the personal bank account, but if you subtracted even some of the longer term eco costs from the bill, it would be a very different sum.
Badge
Taken over a lifetime... a lot of cars aren't that green... regardless of the fuel they use.

For all the good intentions of the Prius for example, it was made of parts from all over the world, so the environmental benefits of running it day to day were already far outweighed by the environmental costs of creating its parts, shipping them around the world for assembly then shipping around the world for resale.

There is an argument to suggest that if you picked up an old car, like an old Land Rover for example, where all parts were made and assembled in the UK and for which parts are still available, then environmental costs per year of use are negligible, regardless if its a diesel!
Finland has already pioneered this by enabling all diesel engines to run on HVO made from waste not food (unlike some forms of bio diesel). It increases mpg and hugely reduces NOx and PMs. But the WHO 40 micro gm per M3 NOx limit was arbitrary and designed for interior spaces like kitchens with gas hobs. Even lighting candles in your home increases NOx levels. In Stuttgart where there are demonstrations against banning diesel euro 4 cars, scientists found NOx levels to be twice that inside homes cf that at the worst traffic junctions. So it's actually better to leave a window open than stop flow inside. Hospital Doctors in that city have patients cancelling important check ups because people are scared by the council's LED air pollution signs when there is really no risk compared to smoking (1000s of times higher pms and NOx than roadside readings)