Solved

want to see how much my Ev is taking from EO charger

• 22 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Hi, hope someone can help. I’m looking to get an EO pro charger installed for a Tesla which should be arriving soon. As it’s a company car, I’d need to see how much it takes so I can charge back the costs . I’ve seen other chargers pass do this but wanted to know specifically about the EO .

or is this done through the Pure Planet website?

icon

Best answer by mnorth 28 January 2021, 13:03

Hi, we have a Tesla 3 and use an EO mini charger. The EO app contains the data in the pic attached, not sure if this helps?

View original

10 replies

Hi, @Angeblu ,

I am surprised you would be charging back exact electric costs for your EV rather than simply claiming for business mileage on a company car. Did you used to claim full petrol costs instead of a fixed mileage rate? From a simple record of KWh of electric supplied by your charger, how do you know what was used for normal commuting  to/from work and personal use, which wouldn't be claimed for?

Your charger app would provide a charge history of some kind. I have a Zappi so can't comment on the EO. Also your car should have useful usage information. The Nissan app gives me daily information on energy used and distance travelled. I w9uld expect the tesla app has more information available.

Hi Mark , thanks for the reply. At the moment my car is fully expensed ie all fuel costs are covered so I wanted the same for the Tesla . I’ve seen some apps which give a full summary so wondered if the eo did the same .. see example attached 

That screenshot has a lot of information. That must be the app for a car, but is way more detailed than the Nissan one (I can see usage per day but not per trip). There is no way a charger would be able to do per trip information. However if you just need total energy usage then either the EO or Tesla would give you that.

You seem to have a very generous company that expenses your commuting and personal usage as well. I am surprised you don't have tax implications as it sounds very much like a benefit in kind, which is why business mileage rates exist.

The other difficulty you have with the electricity being used is proving how much you paid for it? Petrol costs were easy because you had an actual VAT recript for it or you used a company supplied fuel/credit card to pay for it. How would you prove the time, tariff and source of your cars electricity? For example, once we have an EV tariff my electricity would be peak price, off peak price or no cost from solar at home, as well as the option of public charging too.

Hi, we have a Tesla 3 and use an EO mini charger. The EO app contains the data in the pic attached, not sure if this helps?

That screenshot has a lot of information. That must be the app for a car, but is way more detailed than the Nissan one (I can see usage per day but not per trip). There is no way a charger would be able to do per trip information. However if you just need total energy usage then either the EO or Tesla would give you that.

You seem to have a very generous company that expenses your commuting and personal usage as well. I am surprised you don't have tax implications as it sounds very much like a benefit in kind, which is why business mileage rates exist.

The other difficulty you have with the electricity being used is proving how much you paid for it? Petrol costs were easy because you had an actual VAT recript for it or you used a company supplied fuel/credit card to pay for it. How would you prove the time, tariff and source of your cars electricity? For example, once we have an EV tariff my electricity would be peak price, off peak price or no cost from solar at home, as well as the option of public charging too.

My current car is fully expensed and yes i do pay company car tax and also pay the petrol allowance on top. I suppose it is generous although the tax i pay is far greater than the personal fuel i would use but have always had it like that and saves a lot of paperwork etc…

With the Tesla i was looking at producing a report saying how much KWH used in a month and then claim this from my company (this would be a mix of business and personal use). I did read on the GOV website that electricity is counted as fuel and therefore not taxable (for now!). So this is the plan but as ill be the first in the company to do this , we are still working it out..

As for proving the amount spent, i would assume that a screenshot of monthly usage from the EO app would be enough to prove what i was using and then multiply the KWH by cost from Pure planet.

I wouldn’t have off peak as i don’t have a smart meter and also don’t have solar so i would probably set the cost at the standard rate which i think is16p kwh?  

its almost like i would need a separate meter just for the EV but thats not feasible .. Also i really dont know how much id use in a month so even at the 16p kwh , the monthly total may not be too great …

Userlevel 1

I have an Andersen EV charger and the app tells me  not only how much my Tesla costs (daily, weekly.

monthly), but now much electric I'm drawing from the grid for everything else. 

Would highly recommend it. 

I have an Andersen EV charger and the app tells me  not only how much my Tesla costs (daily, weekly.

I do like the look of the Anderson but I think in my case I need something smaller and untethered . Do you find the Tesla is costing very little compared to an ICE car ?

Userlevel 1

What I loved about the Andersen was that, while its tethered, it wraps away inside the unit very easily so there's not a constant dangling wire when not in use and it's totally hidden. I went this way to save me having to pull out a cable from somewhere and plug it in both ends. I knew doing that, I'd get lazy and just keep it plugged in, even though it would be unsightly just hanging off or wrapped in a coil on the floor. 

As for the cost, yes. It is costing less - it was pushing towards £60 for a full tank at one point. Now it costs about £13 to charge my car from nearly depleted after w fairly long journey. 

That said, as I got the Tesla in December, I've only had cold winter days to go off. I feel in the summer months the battery will be warmer and easier to charge, using less energy overall. 

Badge

Hi, hope someone can help. I’m looking to get an EO pro charger installed for a Tesla which should be arriving soon. As it’s a company car, I’d need to see how much it takes so I can charge back the costs . I’ve seen other chargers pass do this but wanted to know specifically about the EO .

or is this done through the Pure Planet website?

Could the charging electricity consumption be read from the Tesla itself?
Must be possible

Badge

I do like the look of the Anderson but I think in my case I need something smaller and untethered . Do you find the Tesla is costing very little compared to an ICE car ?

Absolutely. EVs are literrally costing us nothing in operating cost.

I drove round the M25 one day for fun (well, to help our recent new born baby sleep) and it cost like £8.