Regional disparities of public EV charging points - plus a poll

• 23 November 2020
  • 7 replies

• Community Manager
  • 7108 replies

Spotted a very interesting report on the regional disparities of EVs chargers across the UK.

It turns out that nearly half of the publicly accessible charge points are in London and the South East of England.

The report by The Guardian says that the two regions account for 27% of the population of the UK, but have 45% of the EV chargers.

Nice graphic, too:

Photo/graphic from The Guardian

The article doesn’t address my first question - does the South East currently have the most EV drivers? If it does, I suppose it would make sense to have the most charging points?

Thought I’d add a poll too for fun! 

Do you know of an EV charge point nearest to you?

7 replies

Badge

The article doesn’t address my first question - does the South East currently have the most EV drivers? If it does, I suppose it would make sense to have the most charging points?

Yes - exactly. Classic mainstream media missing the point as usual.

How are they counting these?
I was in having my lovely Boxer serviced the other day and noticed my local Ford/Peugeot dealer now has at least 8 charge points, presumably not ‘publicly accessible’ as such, but for the use of cars whilst in for service.
Also, as I’ve mentioned before, I know there are at least 2 about a mile down the road from me, in the carpark of the local Public Memorial Hall but they aren’t on the map.

I wondered whether they hadn’t gone live due to Covid, but they are listed on the council’s website, a website which incidentally takes you to zapmap for the list of available chargers.

In fact the three charger locations nearest me (Woodfield Road, Llandybie; Margaret St. Carregamman, Ammanford; and Hall St. Upper Brynamman) aren’t on the map.

How are they counting these?

I think they took the data from Zapmap 

Yes - exactly. Classic mainstream media missing the point as usual.

I’m sure it wasn’t intentional @Ohit :wink:

I can’t find the answer to my question. But interestingly last year the biggest % increase in EV ownership was Birmingham, according to This is Money

Ha, no sooner had I posted that, I found the data. From gov.uk no less.

EV ownership by region

I’m sure you won’t be able to make out the detail from the photo, but total of new EV registrations per region over the last 10 years:

Total is 348,793

North East: 5,628

North West: 17,003

Yorkshire: 29,621

East Midlands: 17,070

West Midlands: 52,410

East: 45,123

London: 36,295

South East: 72,348

South West: 44,583

Wales: 6,330

Scotland: 18,090

Northern Ireland: 4,176

So there we have it! South East does have the most EV drivers. And if you include London, it’s more than 100k

What are Wales playing at @Gwyndy ?! 

Badge

total of new EV registrations per region over the last 10 years:

Total is 348,793

North East: 5,628

North West: 17,003

Yorkshire: 29,621

East Midlands: 17,070

West Midlands: 52,410

East: 45,123

London: 36,295

South East: 72,348

South West: 44,583

Wales: 6,330

Scotland: 18,090

Northern Ireland: 4,176

So there we have it! South East does have the most EV drivers. And if you include London, it’s more than 100k

What are Wales playing at @Gwyndy ?! 

Makse sense with London’s congestion charge.

How do the stats ‘clean’ for lease vs actual end drivers? Leased cars likely registerred at finance company’s registerred office (in Birmingham, clearly ;-)

Well I asked my council via Facebook, and I hope you make more sense of the response than I do.

"Hi Mark, thank you for getting in touch. We have been informed by the transport department that the link on Zapmap shows you all available chargers throughout the County and further afield (i.e car dealerships) Our list of chargers are points that are managed by CCC. Thanks"

I don't know how they count registrations, but most of the ones I've seen around here are either Mitsubishi or Kia hybrids, not pure EVs, probably due to shortage of charging points.

I've seen one or two Teslas.