News

Pure Planet EV tariff - short delay while we prioritise more support for all our Members

• 26 November 2020
  • 59 replies

• Community Manager
  • 7079 replies

Hi everyone

We’ve got some EV related news to share with our community members.

Firstly, a massive thank you to everyone who has been helping us out with our EVs pilot here in the Pure Planet Community. :relaxed:

Thanks to you we got some really useful data about when our Members charge their EVs, enabling us to internally test some possible tariffs.

We were planning to launch a tariff in beta this autumn but we’ve made the decision to delay this until 2021. These decisions are never easy, but we have to juggle a number of demands.

Having a little more time means we can prioritise some new services and other features over the winter. 

These include:

• Smart Export Guarantee - we’re really excited to be working on this and we’re aiming to have this ready by April 2021, so that householders with solar panels can sell energy back to the grid via Pure Planet

• A better experience for family members who need to take over an account when the account holder dies – coming in December

• Improved callback services for our more vulnerable Members who are on the Priority Services Register – also coming in December

• Warm Home Discount so that those on benefits can get help to pay for energy

• More fixed tariffs. The first of these went live in the summer and we’ll be announcing new tariffs regularly as we know these are in high demand

Our proposed dedicated EV tariff is still in the works. We’re very close to being able to offer it first to pilot Members here in the community, but we’ve had to make the call to focus on priorities which will be of benefit to a greater number of our Members.

There’ll be more news on the EV tariff in the New Year. 

We’re also pleased to have announced a partnership with EV leasing company Elmo, with Pure Planet Members getting a discount, and a great homecharger deal with EO.

Thanks to your help we’ve also built and released improved EV pages on the Pure Planet website, and there’s more testing being done on some future concepts too.

We know a dedicated EV tariff is something many of you have been asking for. We also know many are perfectly happy with our value for money tariffs as they are. So don’t forget that our 100% Green tariffs, both fixed and variable, are both great deals for EV drivers already as we don’t charge you a premium day rate in exchange for a cheaper night rate, as some other suppliers do.

59 replies

Userlevel 2

Can you give us any insight to what the EV tariff will be?

What worries me is the  last comment that we can continue to benefit from standard day rates without them rising  for offset night rights.

I would say the leading EV tariff is Octopus Go, and they give 4 hours discounted night rates and the same day rate. I do hope Pure follow something similar and looking forward to sharing our 2 EVs overnight 👍

We’re def looking at something similar @TMP but not with really high rates during the day.

I can’t give any details just yet though. 

Can you estimate when in 2021 the tariff will be ready to switch too? I.e 1st quarter, 2nd quarter etc etc.?

Can you estimate when in 2021 the tariff will be ready to switch too? I.e 1st quarter, 2nd quarter etc etc.?

Pretty sure it’ll be first quarter @zorace :thumbsup:

Userlevel 2

We’re def looking at something similar @TMP but not with really high rates during the day.

ok, thanks @Marc . With regret I have signed up for Octopus Go today. Done the maths, and will save £800 a year now I have 2 EVs. Happy to come back when you are up and running!  

£800 is worth having @TMP!

I’m uncertain of the motivations for PP to forgo such revenue. I guess it’s if they don’t they lose all the business. However, why not sell energy to us gas guzzling drivers at the EV lower rate? That would be nice…

Userlevel 2

£800 is worth having @TMP!

I’m uncertain of the motivations for PP to forgo such revenue. I guess it’s if they don’t they lose all the business. However, why not sell energy to us gas guzzling drivers at the EV lower rate? That would be nice…

Yeah, our second EV is now being used for all the local driving, so I am now forecasting an extra 4000-4500 KwH of use (our first EV is also charging more at home, due to home working). I assume PP  just have not managed to get the off peak tariff in place. I was holding on for Nov originally….

Maybe this will gee PP along. Meanwhile enjoy your eight legs! 🐙

Sorry @TMP, I have a capitalisation compulsion. It’s kilo Watt hours (kWh), not Kelvin willy Homes… 😉 

Badge

£800 is worth having @TMP!

It’s just a time of use tariff - I’m pretty sure anyone could sign-up to it.

As well as our EVs, I plan on scheduling other battery charging around the house during that “cheap” overnight window.

Badge

We’re def looking at something similar @TMP but not with really high rates during the day.

ok, thanks @Marc . With regret I have signed up for Octopus Go today. Done the maths, and will save £800 a year now I have 2 EVs. Happy to come back when you are up and running!  

That’s a shame you left PP.

I did the same maths, but given lockdown, WFH and wife on maternity leave our driving miles has dropped significantly this year.
We even got rid of our previous EV (Tesla Model 3 SR+) at the beginning of lockdown in March as we anticipated zero use for at leat 4 months from that point. And now it’s gone on even longer!

So happy waiting for PP given it will be very soon, by which time our driving mileage will go back up again. It actually gives us a nice window of time to get all the scheduling and home automation stuff refined to turn on during the cheap overnight rate.

Userlevel 1

any update on this as it was supposed to be rolled out in November - if there is no EV tariff I will be seriously looking to switch to Octopus . PLease can you update when you are releasing your EV tariif 

I also would like to know of any update to the EV tariff because I to are looking at switching to Octopus if it’s not going to be available any time soon. 

The news is delayed… 

Hi, any update on the ev tariff, I take delivery of my car next week so I am now looking at different suppliers to compare and would like to stay with PP if possible 

Not yet @anders0_3 But I know there’s a lot of working going on, just not quite ready to annouce yet.

Great to hear you want to stay with PP :blush:

Userlevel 1

I'm due to switch over to PP in the next few days. I actually have a Tesla so I thought I'd look whether or not PP have any plans. I came across this and a few other threads.

I'm extremely impressed with how candid Marc has been with his honesty and openness. It's refreshing to get direct, straight answers - and it's even more refreshing when a company says “we don't know, we don't have the answers yet” like in the thread about EV tariff pilot. 

I guess I'm too late for the pilot, but will be keeping a close eye on this. I too would be interested in charging my car in the most efficient way possible. 

Thanks for posting @GaryD with a positive comment. Welcome, and hopefully answers will appear in due course. Enjoy your Ludicrous mode! 😉 

Welcome to the community @GaryD and nice one for posting!

I’ll just repeat what @25 quid said! :smile:

Pretty sure it’ll be first quarter @zorace :thumbsup:

Hi Marc,

We are almost half way through first quarter of 2021 - any update.?

Right now I am not seeing the benefit of running 2 x Hybrids as the electricity costs are only slightly cheaper than the fuel costs. I could be saving at least £50 a month if I move energy supplier which means I have overpaid by approx. £400 since the summer hoping that you guys will introduce an overnight tariff suitable for EV’s.

Really keen to get an update as I’m sure several other customers are. I think we are at the stage now that a weekly update on progress from yourself would be appreciated by all. If, for whatever reason there is a delay, then I think you need to communicate that so that gives everyone a chance to evaluate their own situation and either change supplier, or hang in there with PP.

A date of when we can change tariff would be most welcome.

Thanks

Zoran

Pretty sure it’ll be first quarter @zorace :thumbsup:

Hi Marc,

We are almost half way through first quarter of 2021 - any update.?

Right now I am not seeing the benefit of running 2 x Hybrids as the electricity costs are only slightly cheaper than the fuel costs. I could be saving at least £50 a month if I move energy supplier which means I have overpaid by approx. £400 since the summer hoping that you guys will introduce an overnight tariff suitable for EV’s.

Really keen to get an update as I’m sure several other customers are. I think we are at the stage now that a weekly update on progress from yourself would be appreciated by all. If, for whatever reason there is a delay, then I think you need to communicate that so that gives everyone a chance to evaluate their own situation and either change supplier, or hang in there with PP.

A date of when we can change tariff would be most welcome.

Thanks

Zoran

Sorry @Marc, should have tagged you in the above message as to make sure you are aware of it.

Zoran

Hey @zorace 

Thanks for the nudge.

I’ve no updates I can share just yet. As soon as I do the community will be the first to know!

Hey @zorace 

Thanks for the nudge.

I’ve no updates I can share just yet. As soon as I do the community will be the first to know!

Hi @Marc,

Your answers to most people’s enquiries seem to be very vague and of no use at all. Doesn’t given me any indication to when we can all expect an update. 

Before Xmas you said more than likely Q1 this year… which by my calculations is only 6 weeks or so from now- Is that still the case?

Hi all, really hoping for an EV tariff too, to charge our Tesla model 3. I just switched to PP, but I am now wondering if I should use the cooling off period to switch to Octopus instead… Thanks for being honest and updating on this thread though.

@Marc ,

I agree with Zorace. PP has been great engaging with the community but has seemed to set an unobtainable expectation when it comes yo the new tariff. I was really looking forward to the EV tariff back in October when my EV was due to arrive. Sadly it is delayed and you keep everyone hanging on for something which looks like it will never happen. Promising something and never delivering gives a pretty poor customer service and experience.

A rough calculation puts me around £300 a year better off by moving to octopus energy. I have solar panels, so in the next few months my energy needs are largely met by them and my need for the cheaper rate decreases. PP has succeeded in taking all the extra money for the year from me already so I will most likely stay for now. However if nothing arrives by the time I can leave the fixed rate without penalty then I see no reason to stay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Marc ,

I agree with Zorace. PP has been great engaging with the community but has seemed to set an unobtainable expectation when it comes yo the new tariff. I was really looking forward to the EV tariff back in October when my EV was due to arrive. Sadly it is delayed and you keep everyone hanging on for something which looks like it will never happen. Promising something and never delivering gives a pretty poor customer service and experience.

A rough calculation puts me around £300 a year better off by moving to octopus energy. I have solar panels, so in the next few months my energy needs are largely met by them and my need for the cheaper rate decreases. PP has succeeded in taking all the extra money for the year from me already so I will most likely stay for now. However if nothing arrives by the time I can leave the fixed rate without penalty then I see no reason to stay.

@Mark Pocock Just to point out that if you can save £300 a year your breakeven point is at only 37 days with Octopus, on the basis that you could move the electricity only over  and wait until day 315 of your fix to move the gas.(I do wonder if it would work that way?)

I know PP won’t accept gas only on a switch but I would have thought that once they are supplying gas that they could not refuse to switch electricity only over. I don’t know that for sure, I’m speculating (that means I’m putting on my glasses).

Just saying….