Most new cars 'must be electric by 2030 to meet greenhouse gas targets'

• 17 January 2018
  • 7 replies

• Community Manager
  • 7578 replies
Thinking about buying a new car? The days of petrol and diesel vehicles could be gone sooner than we think.

The majority of new cars bought in the UK in just over 10 years from now will need to electric if we are to meet targets to reduce greenhouse gases.

That’s the message to the Government from the Committee on Climate Change, the BBC is reporting today.

The committee says that the UK is cutting emissions faster than any other G7 nation, and we are set to follow France’s lead and ban petrol and diesel cars by 2040.

But members of the committee say that without earlier widespread adoption of electric vehicles, our carbon reduction targets will not be met.

We’d be interested in hearing what community members think.

Would you consider making an electric vehicle your next car buy? Should more be done to phase out petrol/diesel cars sooner?

Should more be done to phase out petrol/diesel cars sooner?

7 replies

Great to be able to vote on this page, but when the time comes people won’t get a vote then.
Userlevel 5
I hope the Gov at No10 sees sense and gives us a Referendum, we the people should have a democtratic vote on electric 🚘 cats.

Hey ges wot?
I found the Emojis, Yahooo!!!
But can't put Gifys in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Kniterella
go to the giphy website<--link
find the one you want and click on it
click the MEDIA link on the right hand side on the giphy website and click copy the link (it's in blue)
in your message put your cursor where you want the picture to be
click insert image as on picture as shown below

on the top it says from computer or from url, select from url

paste the link you copied earlier into the box and click ok
your giphy should appear

happy knitting!

Electric cats? My cat is fully manual, apart from her electric personality..although hard to tell at times...

Kniterella;11663:
I hope the Gov at No10 sees sense and gives us a Referendum, we the people should have a democtratic vote on electric ������ cats.

Hey ges wot?
I found the Emojis, Yahooo!!!
But can't put Gifys in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
OMG gorgeous cat! 🐈🐱❤️, wonder if you saw the cat food thingy on Dragons Den last night Woz?! 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Zut alors monsieur, nous avons raté notre date limite!
Did you mean 2040?
Marc;2419:
The committee says that the UK is cutting emissions faster than any other G7 nation, and we are set to follow France’s lead and ban petrol and diesel cars by 2014.

Ah, la vache! J'ai tomber dans les pommes!
Merci @woz, je vais le changer

woz;11684:
Zut alors monsieur, nous avons raté notre date limite!
Did you mean 2040?
Userlevel 6
Marc;11692:
Ah, la vache! J'ai tomber dans les pommes!
Merci @woz, je vais le changer

Come again 😕

When Google translate is your best friend ❤️