Kona Self-charging Hybrid - My views after a month

• 6 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I posted this as a response to another thread - here but I did say I was going to start a new post as some were interested in what I thought.

Haven't really been able to drive my new Kona Hybrid with being stuck in the house for the past 3 weeks but I am glad that I went for a self-charger right now as the comments above confirm my belief that for most, the infrastructure just isn't ready yet to cope with a massive uptake of EVs.

I absolutely love my Kona Hybrid, though. It's much more fun to look at and drive than my big and boring black Kia Sportage (got the red Kona which is lovely)

​​​​​​​The hybrid kicks in when poodling around town at sub 30mph speeds but it also uses the battery to boost the power output when accelerating hard on the motorway etc. MPG being reported by the car is only slightly higher than the Sportage but the petrol cost seems to be much lower. The tank is probably smaller but the cost of refilling is half that of the Sportage and lasts about the same amount of time (or did do, when I was actually going somewhere).

The gizmos and entertainment screen is very nice - big 10" screen with everything you need at your fingertips and some nice features like reverse parking camera, keyless entry and wireless phone charging without the premium price (like the Kia Niro was asking).

I think I'll definitely look to replace with a full electric when this deal is up in 3 years but I'm confident I made the right decision for me this year. Especially considering my electricity usage has already shot through the roof with the electric heating in the annex and the recent purchase of a hot tub. When more smart meters are installed and better smart tariffs come out, I'll look again.

3 replies

Nice one @MrSmart 😁
It looks really nice. Good choice of colour (not sure I can get away with red!)
What's the range on elecricity only?
Userlevel 5
Lovely colour, just right. My scooter is the same colour too, there is something about a red car that makes heads look twice. I’m off my travels tomora to hospital on my scooter which also runs on a set of 2 batteries which get charged up. George is quite a large scooter taxed and insured legally allowed to drive on roads. I like to think George is a little Cadillac with open top roof. Not much fun when chucking it diwn with rain.

Anyway your car looks FAB, where do you plug your charger in?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Marc;51601:
Nice one @MrSmart 😁
It looks really nice. Good choice of colour (not sure I can get away with red!)
What's the range on elecricity only?

Kniterella;51608:
Anyway your car looks FAB, where do you plug your charger in?

It's only a self-charging hybrid so no plugging in and that means @Marc that it doesn't run on electricity only - the battery takes over now and then when the conditions are right and it turns the petrol engine off - generally when at low speeds, not accelerating. The battery charges when braking or coasting (and pretty well I might add). The petrol motor generally stays on for the first 15 minutes or so while it gives the battery a boost charge then the rest charges when driving.

I think it's a good first step to reducing petrol usage - less emissions than my Sportage anyway and, like I said, I'll look to going further electric next time around.