Solved

Garage far from house

• 6 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello everyone, I recently had a smart meter fitted and enjoyed talking to the community. I have another topic now on garages.

My garage is fairly far from my house (aprox 50m) and there is no electricity there (or to any of the other 8 garages). How would I get electricity there to charge a future EV?

I don't own the land between my house and garage. I would guess the solution is a new meter or something with the neighbours who own garages in the same block.

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 6 June 2021, 17:06

Hello again @danlovesdogs 

SWA cable is the answer if there is a place to run the cable between you and the garage.

It gets more complicated as you want to be able to charge the EV quickly. So you need a higher rated cable. This might need a higher rated Consumer Unit and even a higher rated connection and fuse coming into the house.

If you’re happy to only slow charge your car, a 13A socket would be the easiest way (assuming you can run a cable spurred off your ring main via a switched fused circuit breaker).

Others will chip in with more specifics I’m sure...

View original

9 replies

Hello again @danlovesdogs 

SWA cable is the answer if there is a place to run the cable between you and the garage.

It gets more complicated as you want to be able to charge the EV quickly. So you need a higher rated cable. This might need a higher rated Consumer Unit and even a higher rated connection and fuse coming into the house.

If you’re happy to only slow charge your car, a 13A socket would be the easiest way (assuming you can run a cable spurred off your ring main via a switched fused circuit breaker).

Others will chip in with more specifics I’m sure...

Thanks to the power of the new search (thanks @Marc), I dug out an old post on the topic.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the replies, I should add I don't own the land between my house and garage!

That might make it tricky! 

Maybe park your car somewhere else? 😈

The landowner might sell you access to dig a trench and bury a cable. Can’t imagine it would be worth doing that! 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@danlovesdogs 

Are you able to park the car near to your property and are you ground floor?

Are any of the neighbours interested in getting power to their garages?

Userlevel 4

Some neighbours are interested. I live in a house but it's a fair wind (around other houses) of council (I guess) pathway to get to the garage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@danlovesdogs 

Have you asked your local council? If a few of you get together it might be worth pursuing.

Thanks for the replies, I should add I don't own the land between my house and garage!

Hey @danlovesdogs 

That’s a shame! Who owns the land?