DIY EVs - Fancy an electric Ferrari?

• 5 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
  • Former community manager
  • 249 replies
We’ve spoken a lot about electric vehicles (EVs) over the last year - They’re great for the environment, and the industry is growing very quickly indeed. The G-Wiz’s EV reign is truly a thing of the past and companies such as Tesla, Audi and even Jaguar are getting in on the fun now.

A company in the US has taken things a step further though - They convert cars with a combustion engine into a fully-electric engine. What car would you convert into an EV if you could? Whatever it is, I’m sure EV West could do it.

For example, here’s a Ferrari 308 GTE they created. Gorgeous:

source

The business operates by buying old Tesla car parts from crashed models and using them to create new EV engines. They use a solar-powered Tesla powerwall in their garage too.

It’s not just old super cars either. Here’s a converted VW Beetle:

source

Head to Motherboard’s article for the full round-up of EV West’s amazing work, as well as more pictures and some info from the team itself. Does it convince you to start perusing the market? What would your dream converted EV be?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Defo a red Ferrari. But I'm skint so I'll settle for my hot wheelz like my red, scooter George. My bike is an opentop, kinda chevvy, when I'm cruising down Thornton Rd or driving like Speedy (Gonzalez), downhill its so fast, much faster than cruising 8mph on a flat toad.

Yep my scooter is an EV, I think ol codgers like me started it maybe with our trusty steeds, I mean 4mph on pavements n shops, yep its illegal to go faster. But wen driving on roads, I can whizz at 8mph. Might not be much compared to cars, but George gets me to appointments, cos getting taxis is a dear do. Us Yorkshire folk are a bit tight.

- - - Updated - - -

Toby;1090:
We’ve spoken a lot about electric vehicles (EVs) over the last year - They’re great for the environment, and the industry is growing very quickly indeed. The G-Wiz’s EV reign is truly a thing of the past and companies such as Tesla, Audi and even Jaguar are getting in on the fun now.

A company in the US has taken things a step further though - They convert cars with a combustion engine into a fully-electric engine. What car would you convert into an EV if you could? Whatever it is, I’m sure EV West could do it.

For example, here’s a Ferrari 308 GTE they created. Gorgeous:

238source

The business operates by buying old Tesla car parts from crashed models and using them to create new EV engines. They use a solar-powered Tesla powerwall in their garage too.

It’s not just old super cars either. Here’s a converted VW Beetle:

239 source

Head to Motherboard’s article for the full round-up of EV West’s amazing work, as well as more pictures and some info from the team itself. Does it convince you to start perusing the market? What would your dream converted EV be?

Fantastic Ferrari, Wot a beaut!
Kniterella;11680:
Yep my scooter is an EV, I think ol codgers like me started it maybe with our trusty steeds, I mean 4mph on pavements n shops, yep its illegal to go faster. But wen driving on roads, I can whizz at 8mph. Might not be much compared to cars, but George gets me to appointments

Pretty cool name for a scooter @Kniterella
Even if it's not the fastest on the road, it'll be one of the cleanest!