Direct Debit increases with an EV

Pure planet raised my monthly direct debit. I sought evidence from them to justify the decision.

No evidence was provided

14 replies

Pure planet raised my monthly direct debit. I sought evidence from them to justify the decision.

No evidence was provided

Hi @Iwillariseandgothere 
Welcome to the Pure Planet community.
Due to lack of information in your post, the following is based upon my assumptions regarding what may have happened.

You would (at least should) have received notification, both in your app, and via email 14+ days prior to any change of Direct Debit payment due to an account review (unless you are talking about the usual Oct - March increase).
These for example are the stages I went through in February in the app.

And this is the relevant part of the email:

I’m not sure what ‘evidence’ you expect them to provide, future Estimated Annual Consumption, and thus the level of your payments, is extrapolated from the previous actual annual consumption related to your meters.

Kindest regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

HI @Iwillariseandgothere 

This surprises me as my DD is being raised but I had a full email to let me know and the reason why. To be honest, it didn’t really need explaining as my usage was pretty evident in my latest statement. I had an email on 1st April (no, it wasnt an April fools thankfully, ), with a proposed payment plan and suggested DD to cover the debit and bring my account back in line. The email also stated that if my next DD paymeny was within 10 days of the email that they wouldn’t implement this until the next month.  It then also went on to say that I can query the suggested plan with the team but had to do so by 11th April.

Is it at all possible you may have missed an email or perhaps missed the date by which to query the decision?  I know you are not daft but if you are anything like me then sometimes we can miss things.

Hope you get sorted

Nanny

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @Iwillariseandgothere 

did you get an email 2 or 3 weeks beforehand telling you what they proposed for the DD (and why)? As per @Gwyndy ‘s reply and to say you also have the option to disagree if you think it’s wrong. (or for any other reason). If PP don’t hear from you it’s assumed you’ve agreed to the change.

After you’ve arisen and been there have a search of your emails?

Hi

It seems I have been not sharing my concerns about the energy provider to a wider audience (thanks Nataly).

The short of the matter is that I change provider every 12 months because it seems there is always a cheaper provider. I say this because Pure planet hiked my direct debit without consultation and without having the facts of my very low energy use during months when my solar panels are at optimum capacity.

I have asked the provider to evidence the increase in direct debit by calculating my monthly use 2019-20 use up until beginning of my yearly fixed electricity only contract in June 2020.

No response.

Gerry

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Gerry @Iwillariseandgothere 

This is a fascinating email with all sorts of puzzling aspects, which may be worth pursuing for the sake of clarity on behalf of the community.

It seems I have been not sharing my concerns about the energy provider to a wider audience (thanks Nataly).

This post is available to the thousands who access the community. But perhaps there are other posts that have been removed? 

The short of the matter is that I change provider every 12 months because it seems there is always a cheaper provider. I say this because Pure planet hiked my direct debit without consultation and without having the facts of my very low energy use during months when my solar panels are at optimum capacity.

It's not clear what the connection is between the two sentences here. Is there one?

You've had a number of replies explaining that Pure Planet do not change anyone's direct debit without consultation, unless emails are not found or opened.

And if you gave them your annual usage when you got your original quote, then the initial direct debit certainly took into account your low energy use due to your solar panels. It's possible that heavier use this past winter has prompted the proposed increase, and the algorithm has failed to take into account your unusual consumption pattern. That's why you were sent an email suggesting the change with an invitation to respond - that seems to be the email you have missed.

I have asked the provider to evidence the increase in direct debit by calculating my monthly use 2019-20 use up until beginning of my yearly fixed electricity only contract in June 2020.

If your contract with Pure Planet began in June 2020, how can they know your monthly use before that?

No response.

It would be helpful to know when and how you contacted them. If you used Wattbot, their promise is 2-3 working days; from the evidence in the community, emails are taking longer.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Your reply is welcome. I had not heard of wattbott!

The provider certainly has not alerted me to this form.of communication.

Gerry

EV charger

Infrequent car use, used Nissan leaf, should mean I can charge the car without requiring domestic ev charger.

Do folk agree?

Gerard

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Marc suggest this is moved to the EV section?

@Iwillariseandgothere 

Infrequent doesn’t necessarily mean low mileage.

Does not having a charger include not using the 13A plug to granny charger option?

Whether you can survive on non-home charging alone entirely depends on the mileage and how long it’s on charge for.

Your question is impossible to answer without those details.

There are plenty of online resources to tell you the charge rates (depends on the type of charger) and the range when full depends on the ambient temperature (lower range when cold, slower charge rate (marginally) when very hot and whether you pre-warm in winter. 

One for @Marc he has a Leaf.

Hello @Iwillariseandgothere Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting, and also nice username. It’s a poem, right? By WB Yeats?

Thanks for the heads-up @woz My DD did increase when I got a Leaf. Considerably.

Then….. a year later lockdown arrived, and little dandelions grew around the wheels of the stationary Leaf, so I had another DD review and they were decreased.

@Gwyndy has posted an example of the DD review email which explains it. The idea is not to get into debt.

I suppose if you do switch every year it makes it a bit trickier though. But, of course if you do build up credit the DD payments will be reduced (as they were with mine) and if you switch away then obvs all credit is refunded.

@Iwillariseandgothere 

Hi Gerry,

Sounds like you have a similar usage pattern to me, but lack any usage history with Pure Planet to back up your claims. All PP have seen is a winter usage level that doesn't appear to match with the usage values you supplied when you switched. A conversation via Wattbot should get everything sorted out.

Regarding the EV charger, I think it depends on whether you want to maximise your solar generation to charge the car. The 13a charge cable will just charge at a fixed rate of about 3 KWh. Charging overnight (without a battery) would use all grid electricity. Charging during the day would use grid electricity for any shortfall in the solar generation. A smart EV charger would be able to modify the charge based on available solar power. Also, as Woz said, infrequent doesn't necessarily mean low mileage.

We have a new Leaf and are frequent but low mileage users so the smart charger plus solar and battery works well. In the summer months I expect to charge normal daily usage entirely from solar with only occasional larger weekend usage being charged overnight using grid electricity (eventually on a cheaper EV rate).

You say you switch every 12 months. Do you still find significant savings every year to make that worthwhile?

Hi Mark

Thank you for your helpful reply.
I know that I shouldn't assume that my car use will be the same as now after I buy my could  used nissar leaf. I walk, use public transport and cycle. I am semi retired and over 60 years old entitled to subsidised public transport.
I may chose not to purchase an EV charger, which the tax payer subsidies, while installers hike up the cost of installation. For example, in Scotland, they charge £400 to  connect charger to fuse, box likley an hour's work. Energy savings trust (EST) is not willing to intervene.
I read that the standard domestic socket can be beefed up to 230V. I am not sure if this will mean that the drain on my home's energy will be too great in any case.
If I drive few miles would the g alone charger on the high street suffice.
As far as PP is concerned, the charging policy is a blunt instrument. I have bought into solar and air to source heat pump. For those who need fossil possibly PP is the best provider.
I jump between providers. For example Octopus is not only the cheapest (for my famlly) but they offer £50 as an incentive. I suspect PP won't price match lol.
Using solar to charge the car is interesting. Scottish sunshine is not as warm as Scottish hospitality. It seems that the water tank for the heat pump doesn't integrate as well with the traditional hot tank.
I would like not to access the ev charger because installers (in Scotland) make sure they maximize profit as much as they can,

Gerry

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Iwillariseandgothere 

hi Gerry

If you don’t do many miles you’ll probably manage fine with the domestic (granny) charger which plugs into your 13A sockets and can be left overnight. Of course you would need an outside socket to plug into but an outside socket should be a lot cheaper to fit than a charger if you don’t already have one.

Charging from a 13A socket will gain you about 9 miles range per hour of charging.
Have a look here for example.

You need to make sure the “granny” cable is supplied with the car or you’ll need to buy one.

@Marc shouldn’t this be in the EV section?

Hi. 

This sounds like solid advice. I feel we should to push cars off the road and use public transport routinely. Electric cars also pollute.

An external 13amp socket is doable. Not quite sure what a granny cable looks like.

Gerry

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Iwillariseandgothere

this video shows one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aEfomcUlgQ