Solved

can i charge an EV directly from a 32 amp socket?

• 7 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi all

In my garage I have a 32 amp circuit already wired to the consumer unit and there is a socket on the wall (I don't know the technical name for it, but it's a fat round one).

I'm getting a Renault Zoe next week.  Is there a cable I can get that connects directly to this socket and the Zoe on the other end?

Or do I still need to buy a charging point?

Chris

icon

Best answer by Ohit 7 July 2021, 21:51

Hi,

You not watching the football? :D

Sounds like you have a 32A commando socket. Yes you can charge the car from that, just buy the suitable cable.

Example: https://evonestop.co.uk/products/ev-charging-cable-type-2-to-32a-commando-7-2-kw-5-metre-mode-2

Whether you should or not is open to debate - there is probably some technical details on the electrical regulations around earthing that might suggest you get a “proper charger". But whatever: your idea makes perfect sense.

Enjoy the Zoe - it's a great EV

View original

5 replies

Badge

Hi,

You not watching the football? :D

Sounds like you have a 32A commando socket. Yes you can charge the car from that, just buy the suitable cable.

Example: https://evonestop.co.uk/products/ev-charging-cable-type-2-to-32a-commando-7-2-kw-5-metre-mode-2

Whether you should or not is open to debate - there is probably some technical details on the electrical regulations around earthing that might suggest you get a “proper charger". But whatever: your idea makes perfect sense.

Enjoy the Zoe - it's a great EV

Ha @Ohit  ... Watching the football and catching up on admin tasks …

That's great advice.  I had seen chargers that do things with apps and charge time and wondered if there was a magic thing that chargers did that the battery management system on the car did not ... I don't want to over charge it.

The set up in the garage is very new, I only had it installed a couple of years ago and the socket was a deliberate thing I asked for to prepare for EV.

Very much looking forward to getting the Zoe next Thursday.  Thanks very much for your help!

Just a quick update on this @Ohit  ... I bought the piece of kit you linked to and it arrived the next day.  All works with no issues, so much happier than dropping several hundred pounds on a wall charger.

And if cars ever have a type 3 connector in the future, all I have to do is buy another cable.

Badge

Just a quick update on this @Ohit  ... I bought the piece of kit you linked to and it arrived the next day.  All works with no issues, so much happier than dropping several hundred pounds on a wall charger.

And if cars ever have a type 3 connector in the future, all I have to do is buy another cable.

Pleased to hear! Enjoy EVing. I expect you will never want to go back to ICE now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just a word of caution here, there are instances where PME earthing applies where you shouldn’t use a Commando socked and charge lead without changes to the earthing. Your DNO should be able to tell you if your property has PME earthing. (not trying to be alarmist, just being cautious)

https://electrical.theiet.org/bs-7671/faqs/electric-vehicle-charging-installations-faqs/