• What do I do if I think my meter needs to be changed?

If you think your meter is faulty there a few things you can check before contacting the team:

If the meter screen’s gone blank
    • Check this FAQ on how to read your meter - for some meters you’ll need to press a button to wake the screen up and get your meter readings. If that doesn’t work, get in touch with the team via WattBot

​If you think your meter is clocking too quickly

This can be happening for various reasons without the meter being faulty:

• You’re using more energy than anticipated when you got your quote, or the weather is particularly cold
    • Appliances that use a lot of energy such as storage heaters
    • Faulty electrical appliances. You can test for a faulty electrical appliance by turning off everything in your property that uses electricity. One at a time, turn each appliance back on. If your meter reading suddenly jumps, it’s likely this appliance is faulty. In this case you’d need to call an electrician
    • Switch off all your electrical appliances at the fuse board. The meter should stop clocking usage at this time. If it continues to increase even though you’re not consuming electricity, the meter may be faulty and needs to be exchange
    • If you still believe the meter is over recording your usage you can message the team via WattBot and let them know. They’ll be able to advise you on ways to test your meter.

If your meter has stopped clocking usage

• It’s likely your meter is faulty and needs to be exchanged. You can message our Member services team with a photo of the meter and let them know it’s no longer recording your usage.

If you need to upgrade to 3-phase

• If you consume a large amount of electricity and need your supply upgraded to be 3-phase, you can contact our Member services team about this via WattBot.

What do I need to do?

• Get in touch with the team by tapping ‘help’ > ‘Ask WattBot’ in your account. They’ll need a description of the issue and a photo of the faulty meter.

If the meter is found to be faulty it’ll need to be replaced, free of charge:

• If the faulty meter is traditional, our metering contractor Magnum Utilities will contact you to let you know if you’re eligible for second generation (SMETS 2) meters (more info here). If eligible they’ll install SMETS 2 meters, so if you’re dual fuel this means they’ll replace both of your meters, not just the one that’s faulty.
    • If the faulty meter is SMETS 1, it’ll be replaced with a traditional meter.

After you’ve contacted our Member services team via WattBot and your meter’s found to be faulty, our metering contractor Magnum will get in touch with you directly via phone to arrange a time and date for your meter exchange. Please ensure we have the correct phone number for you - you can edit this under ‘account’ > ‘contact details’ in your app or at purepla.net.

You may also be interested in:
    My meter's been changed - what do I have to do?