Vivian Lee, our Zero Hero who’s made small changes to how she washes her clothes and drinks coffee

• 30 September 2019
  • 19 replies

• Community Manager
  • 7593 replies

Vivian Lee loves her coffee. The 32-year-old likes to treat herself to each day to a takeaway flat white.

But after racking up a lot of takeaway cups Vivian made a simple switch to using a reusable coffee cup.

Vivian, who works as a pricing and forecasting analyst at Pure Planet, decided to go for a collapsible cup so that it fits easily into her bag and doesn’t become a hassle to carry about.

She said: “I’ve got my coffee cup in my bag wherever I go, and it takes up hardly any space and it’s really light. I’m not the sort of person who goes to a coffee shop every day, so I wanted the collapsable cup as they’re really small when you’re not using it.

“I also prepare my lunch in a plastic lunch box which fits in my bag. We like to eat out now and then and I never manage to finish my meal, so I ask for them to use my lunchbox instead of a doggy bag as that often comes with plastic packaging.

The other small change Vivian’s made is how she washes her clothes. Instead of using mainstream plastic-wrapped washing tablets and plastic bottles of fabric softener, she uses a product called the Eco Egg.

The Eco Egg uses mineral pellets encased in a recyclable ‘egg’ which goes inside the washing machine drum.

“You buy the Eco Egg once and then and order extra pellets when you run out,” Vivian said.

“I find that it washes my clothes just as well. It doesn’t have the same soapy smell as washing powder or fabric conditioner. There are a few scents you can choose from.

“I was using bottles and bottles of fabric conditioner, and the washing tablets were all wrapped in plastic too. So this small change means I’m using much less plastic than before, and it’s no big deal at all.”

Zero Hero is about finding and supporting greener choices that are easier and cheaper than their polluting alternatives.

But we need your help too. Tell us about a Zero Hero you know, a green event or initiative you’re part of or a Zero Hero product or service you use. We’ll share the best ideas.

If this sounds like you, then send me a message here in the community and tell us what you’re doing. Or just post in the replies below! :raisinghands:

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Love love love how PP listens. Always 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Bev;48742:
I like these zero hero threads, we need more articles 👏👍

​​​​​​​We hear ya @Bev! Meet our latest Zero Hero here 😄
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
A OK Jon 1, I'll give it a go - much appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Strutt G

if you go on their website ( cornish-tea.co.uk ) then you can do one off orders or i simply have a subscription which is delivered quarterly. Tell them how many tea bags a day you use and they send the required amount. Can be adjusted anytime up or down. They also do coffee but not tried that yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Um Jon1, Cornish teabags sounds interesting as we are always looking for an alternative to Yorkshire.
My coffee gets delivered so I'll give this tea a go and especially as my late mother and family are Cornish.
Any particular supplier?

Cheers
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I use the smol wash caps. A little smaller than persil and the such but for me they work just as well. Price wise a savvy shopper could buy another product just as cheap but i am a bit lazy and forgetful so do love products on subscription.
Even get my cornish tea bags on quarterly subscription a lovely cuppa and it does work out cheaper and comes in fully recyclable packaging.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Just ordered free trials for laundry and dishwasher not proclaiming to be all eco but of lowering chemical usage.
I'm not a fan of laundry wash capsules, but lets see how well this product works.
https://smolproducts.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Its a great product, the filter is so small and easily cleaned (with no tarnish) under a little cold water.
You can get a non disposable filter. I've got the paper ones so I'll use them.
I use a Chemex when visitors arrive and must admit I haven't used my cafetiere for a while.
Still looking for a fair priced valve for my stove top rather than having to get a new one.

My partner retains letters and cuts them up for post-it notes.
Has been known to dry a paper towel on the radiator - she's 2 bob too.
Strutt G;48744:
My aero press coffee maker needs a little round paper filter. It easily washes and I have used one filter 5 times because I'm more than 2 bob.
I've found that the bird seed comes in heavy duty bag, I cut the top off and it lines our bin in the bathroom and I just empty this bag into the main bin once a week and keep using it. I could go on...but feel I'm being set up to sound like a berk.

Interesting you reuse the filter, do you think it affects the taste of the coffee?

One of the PP team has started using an aero press, and I was surprised by how easy it is to use actually! And a lot easier than having a cafetiere in the office for example👍

Are the filters expensive to buy? 🤔
Bev;48742:

Noted 😁✔
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
My aero press coffee maker needs a little round paper filter. It easily washes and I have used one filter 5 times because I'm more than 2 bob.
I've found that the bird seed comes in heavy duty bag, I cut the top off and it lines our bin in the bathroom and I just empty this bag into the main bin once a week and keep using it. I could go on...but feel I'm being set up to sound like a berk.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
l had two portable cups, I broke the rinky dinky glass one which was a prezzie and struggling to want pay £19 to replace it. I'll give in at some point, because it's nicer to drink from, just like drinking wine from the right glass.
When I forget to take one to get my free Waitrose coffee, I pop to Leon and ask for a paper cup.
If all else fails, wash one from the recycle bin cos I'm 2 bob.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Love the concept of reusable cups, I've got two challenges with them though. 1) Im quite absent minded and I tend to lose them quite easily. 2) I struggle with the taste of coffee and tea unless the cup is made of clay, glass or ceramics. I guess I could get one of those reusable glass mugs... as long as I dont lose it in 24 hours!! 😛
Gray4276;40394:

I have a Caffè Nero App/account and they will give you a "bonus" stamp for bringing your own cup/mug. When you have 9 stamps you get a free coffee (any type/any size) So that works out at around 12%.....not bad eh!

Also as I am an 02 mobile customer....with the 02 Priority App you get a free coffee at Caffè Nero on a Tues/Wed every week, and when you get your free 02/Caffè Nero drink.....you get a "bonus" stamp.
That's a Win-Win-Win scenario.

I do the same thing! Great minds eh;)

Love a good O2 free coffee🆒

Last Christmas they did really good bonus 'Christmas cracker' stamps when you bought a coffee, too.
Won a few different vouchers for 1-3 free coffees. Hopefully they do it again this year!
Hey Duppy,

Thanks for the positive vibe in your reply.......👍

I've tried to show my two kids how to "take advantage" of offers etc (I don't overtly look for deals.....I'm not a voucher hound).

I was getting worried that I was just viewed as an "old git" by my kids...........for example

1. Neither my wife nor myself have ever smoked........both my kids do.
2. Offered to review their energy usage/payments........neither can be bothered, and they're both paying through the nose.

Maybe it's just a generational thing as I'm no longer a "yoof" 😱

Duppy;40400:
Hi Gray4276
I don't think your a "tightarse" at all. You are merely taking advantage of the offers. Anyway I think these bonuses and offers are built into the price you are paying for the product. You'd be silly not to

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Gray4276
I don't think your a "tightarse" at all. You are merely taking advantage of the offers. Anyway I think these bonuses and offers are built into the price you are paying for the product. You'd be silly not to

Nataly;40391:
Our sustainable tip of the week reminded me - another advantage to using a reusable coffee cup, is that lots of places are introducing discounts when you use one!

The ones around me offer a 10% discount 😮 What's the biggest discount you've seen for bringing a reusable cup?😕

All good news @Nataly,

I have a Caffè Nero App/account and they will give you a "bonus" stamp for bringing your own cup/mug. When you have 9 stamps you get a free coffee (any type/any size) So that works out at around 12%.....not bad eh!

Also as I am an 02 mobile customer....with the 02 Priority App you get a free coffee at Caffè Nero on a Tues/Wed every week, and when you get your free 02/Caffè Nero drink.....you get a "bonus" stamp.
That's a Win-Win-Win scenario.

I've just realised how much of a "tightarse" that makes me sound....Ask me "Am I bovvered"..... 😅 😎
Our sustainable tip of the week reminded me - another advantage to using a reusable coffee cup, is that lots of places are introducing discounts when you use one!

The ones around me offer a 10% discount 😮 What's the biggest discount you've seen for bringing a reusable cup?😕