Pure Planet Community spotlight on Member Antski

• Community Manager
  • 689 replies

This month the Pure Planet Community spotlight is shining on Member @Antski

As well as helping out other members, @Antski has shared with us the challenges of job interviews and introduced us to the beautiful Luna, his Golden Doodle. After a long career in the Royal Navy, @Antski now does volunteer work in Cornwall - along with many other things - as you’re about to find out! 

Thank you  for taking part in this month's spotlight @Antski and for being a fabulous member of our Community!

Now to find out more about @Antski, and why he joined PP:

How long have you been at Pure Planet and why did you join?

Pure Planet came up as a recommendation on the MSE Cheap Energy Club when the smaller energy provider I was with went bust and my account was picked up by Utilita. I was sceptical about smaller companies after that experience but switched in October 2019. It was definitely the 100% green energy aspect that attracted me.

Where are you from, and where do you live now?

I'm from Keynsham, a town half way between Bristol and Bath, location of some Roman villa remnants and at one time a thriving Cadbury’s factory. I haven't lived there for a long time because of my career in the Royal Navy. I’ve been resident in Cornwall, near Penzance for many years.

What do you love doing outside of work/with your free time?

I like mountain biking, standup paddle boarding, walking my young Goldendoodle puppy, visiting cafes and restaurants and wildlife watching. I’ve recently started volunteering as a crew-member for WetWheels Southwest in Falmouth. We take wheelchair users, disabled and disadvantaged people and their families/care-givers out on trips on a specially adapted high-speed Cheetah Marine catamaran. It’s a great pleasure to see the enjoyment that our passengers get from such a thrilling and enabling experience. Yesterday our passengers saw a whale on their trip. WetWheels have 6 locations in the United Kingdom at present with a seventh opening in Scotland in 2022.

What are you currently reading or watching?

I’ve recently read a few of Oliver Harris’s novels. A Secret Intelligence and The House of Fame. Fast paced thriller stuff, the first is a spy story with lots of it based in Kazakhstan; the latter centres on a disgraced police detective in London. I’m watching YouTube videos to try and improve my SUP techniques.

One thing nobody would ever guess about you?

My age!

If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?

A good midsummers gig at the Eden Project. I have to wait until September to go to Snow Patrol there.

Apart from signing up for renewable energy, what’s your top tip for cutting carbon and saving money?

Economise on unnecessary energy usage at home. Walk or cycle to work, or to the shops - if you can.

The Community spotlight is a regular feature to find out a little bit more about who we are, what we like, and maybe what we don't like! 

Other members who've taken part include @Rds261189 @LUCKY JO @25 quid @G4RHL @Gwyndy @David j @Bev @Angelabikerbabe plus many, many more!

If you'd like to take part in the Community spotlight series, or you'd like to nominate a fellow community member :wink: send me or @Nataly or @Marc a message anytime.

Thanks again to @Antski for taking part!

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

@Mads Oops, I meant joined PP in Oct 2019!

@Antski consider it done!

Welcome to the community @Antski great to get to know you! 

And as you’re in Keynsham which is just down the road, we’d love to welcome you to PP Towers soon - when it’s safe to do so of course! The coffee’s pretty good here. You could easily get to us on your mountain bike using the Bristol/Bath cycle path :slight_smile:

Userlevel 6
Badge

Welcome to the community @Antski great to get to know you! 

And as you’re in Keynsham which is just down the road, we’d love to welcome you to PP Towers soon - when it’s safe to do so of course! The coffee’s pretty good here. You could easily get to us on your mountain bike using the Bristol/Bath cycle path :slight_smile:

My parents are still in Keynsham @Marc , but I live in west Cornwall, so a little bit further to ride! Thanks for the offer of a coffee when I’m in town though, I’ve got a lot of good memories of Bath.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Fantastic read, Antski 👍👏👏👏, loved that. Really interesting. Loved reading about your voluntary work with the specially arranged trips for the disabled. What a lovely thing to be involved with, giving them to chance to experience the catamaran! Fantastic work 😳👍👏👏👏👏. I can imagine very rewarding indeed seeing their little faces light up at the experience and sights 🐳👍. Excellent spotlight Ants 💡👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yep round of applause for @Antski - uplifting read!

My parents are still in Keynsham @Marc , but I live in west Cornwall, so a little bit further to ride! Thanks for the offer of a coffee when I’m in town though, I’ve got a lot of good memories of Bath.

Whoops! Sorry @Antski I obviously didn’t pay enough attention! Yes please do come and say hi when you’re in town. The coffee’s good, though whether it’s good enough to come all the way from West Cornwall….:sweat_smile::thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

🎉 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Fantastic read, Antski 👍👏👏👏, loved that. Really interesting. Loved reading about your voluntary work with the specially arranged trips for the disabled. What a lovely thing to be involved with, giving them to chance to experience the catamaran! Fantastic work 😳👍👏👏👏👏. I can imagine very rewarding indeed seeing their little faces light up at the experience and sights 🐳👍. Excellent spotlight Ants 💡👏

Wetwheels really is a rewarding experience for us and the passengers. I’m hoping to work up to be able to skipper the boat and take a bit of pressure off David, who founded the Southwest branch and is the sole skipper at present. The boat is great for families with wheelchair users, or family members who have other mobility issues, to come out together if on holiday in the area. We also take out groups from care organisations and homes from Cornwall. With another skipper we could do an extra trip or two a day. We’re up in Plymouth next week doing some trips for groups from Devon too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Great work 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Antski 

nice one! (wetwheels)

I bet if I said Horace Batchelor and that’s K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M you’d understand...and the rest of the community (apart from 1 or 2 of the more mature members perhaps) will think I’ve lost the plot…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good read @Antski 

I thought we had another local recruit @Marc 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great read @Antski 

Good read @Antski 

I thought we had another local recruit @Marc 

Me, on the way to the PP offices…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +9