Pure Planet Community spotlight on EV driving Member Ohit

• 11 November 2020
  • 30 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5493 replies

This month the Pure Planet Community spotlight falls on Member @Ohit 

A big fan of electric vehicles and smart energy usage, Ohit is currently driving not one, but two EVs :slight_smile:

He’s been super helpful with other Members’ queries about charging EVs at home and has been joining in discussions about EV tariffs.

Here he tells us some more about himself, including why he joined PP. 

Thanks for agreeing to take part in this month's spotlight @Ohit and for being a top member of our Community :hugging:

How long have you been a member of Pure Planet and why did you join?

We (my wife and I) have been with Pure Planet for just over 2 years now. It came up cheapest via an energy comparison site (MSE’s Cheap Energy Club, I think). I was glad that our energy consumption would be 100% ‘green’ as that was not something we had even considered before.

I work in writing software for wholesale power and gas trading, so I was also intrigued by Pure Planet’s claim of only charging wholesale market prices to customers.

Where are you from, and where do you live now?

I grew up in the outer areas of London (i.e. zone 4/5 on Transport For London’s map!) and then later as an adult moved several times to be closer to the center.

We are now settled in South East London, not far from Greenwich Park.

What do you love doing outside of work / with your free time?

Enjoying the time with our recently newborn son.

Reading (I read and re-read about 25 non-fiction books a year).

Trips, and vehicles, of all sorts: Driving, cycling, walking, flying.

DIY round our house (it was a “fixer upper” project when we first moved in!).

Learning new things especially through practice after watching things on YouTube.

What are you currently reading or watching?

Long Way Up (on Apple TV+).

One thing nobody would ever guess from looking at you?

I used to be on my school’s basketball and mixed netball teams!

What did you have for breakfast this morning?

Organic porridge oats with date paste from Oman, Mylk ‘milk’, cinnamon, cacao and turmeric.

Apart from signing up for renewable energy, what’s your top tip for cutting carbon and saving money?

Electric vehicles. The operating cost is basically zero and the total cost of ownership is still lower compared to a comparable petrol/diesel vehicle even after the potential higher capital cost to buy one.

The recent (radical) changes to London Congestion Charge’s operating times has also made those saving money calculations even stronger compared to when we first started with EVs 3 years ago.

For those that do not need a car (very common in the big cities)  - cycling. And I recommend an electric bike if it helps provide that extra burst of motivation to jump on and get started for your journey.

The Community spotlight is a regular feature to find out a little bit more about who we are, what we like, and maybe what we don't like! 

Other members who've taken part include @LUCKY JO  @25 quid  @G4RHL @Gwyndy @David j @Bev @Angelabikerbabe  plus many, many more!

If you'd like to take part in the Community spotlight series, or you'd like to nominate a fellow community member :wink: send me or @Nataly a message anytime.

30 replies

Cheers Ohit. I nearly typed Oti but she is a she and a dancer!

I go for the electric bike! Enjoy mine. The hills are great now and it encourages me to go out on it more. As for my car I looked at all electric but just not there yet for me and purchase cost was high for the delivered product. Went for a hybrid (not plug in) but did not choose it because it is a hybrid. I get 52 to 53 mpg. Now if Toyota went and made the Aygo all electric my wife then needs a new car…….!!

Hi Ohit,  Great profile, neat to have the two EVs - What models are they?  Have you done any trips inspired by Long Way Up?  happy with the range and charging? 

Phil

Badge

Cheers Ohit. I nearly typed Oti but she is a she and a dancer!

I go for the electric bike! Enjoy mine. The hills are great now and it encourages me to go out on it more. As for my car I looked at all electric but just not there yet for me and purchase cost was high for the delivered product. Went for a hybrid (not plug in) but did not choose it because it is a hybrid. I get 52 to 53 mpg. Now if Toyota went and made the Aygo all electric my wife then needs a new car…….!!

EVs will only get better and cheaper, so waiting makes a lot of sense.
I love Toyota’s - they just last forever! Especially the actual Japanese ones (i.e. the diesel’s are only really for the European market with the engines from other manufacters)

Our last ICE car was a 53-plate Yaris and we gave it to my wife’s brother as his first car to start learning in - it’s still going on strong now!

I’m excited that you have an eletric bike. Which model?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Interesting read Ohit 👍, that’s a lot of books you get thru in a year! 🙀📚📚📚👍👏👏

Badge

Hi Ohit,  Great profile, neat to have the two EVs - What models are they?  Have you done any trips inspired by Long Way Up?  happy with the range and charging? 

Phil

Currently a 5-year-old Kia Soul and the current Kia e-Niro.

Happy with range and charging. We just plan ahead. All service stations have Ecotricity rapid chargers (at 50kW).
We were meant to drive to the south of France earlier this year, but the Covid situation cancelled everything.
North Coast 500 in Scotland is another on our list of trips to do and also more of Europe in general. There are several people on YouTube who video trips like this all the time in EVs and it’s all fine with a bit of planning.

The best has been the Tesla Supercharger network. Great locations on the routes you’d be taking, really quick to charge and zero hassle to get charging (just park up and plug-in).
We ran one for a few months on a trial that ended just before the 1st lockdown. Loved it, just a hatchback works much better for us.

North Coast 500 and South of France both great plans to enjoy! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great read Ohit and oatbase breakfasts are for life apart from the odd detour. Bev will get you on the Hemp milk soon and never mention the pea milk.

Badge

Great read Ohit and oatbase breakfasts are for life apart from the odd detour. Bev will get you on the Hemp milk soon and never mention the pea milk.

:joy:
I’ve tried Hemp milk and don’t like it - Tastes like grass/mud!
I’ve found Mylk ideal as it does not go funny when heated (to make the porridge oats). Similar to Barista Oat milk to put in coffee

[all : I’m NOT vegan, just open to trying everything to see what works for us]

@Ohit careful or you’ll trigger another debate in our what milk should we be drinking discussion! :laughing:

Fantastic spotlight, thank you! I’m also impressed you manage to read so many books a year, I think I only manage about 2/3 recently. Great stuff :sunglasses:

Badge

@Ohit careful or you’ll trigger another debate in our what milk should we be drinking discussion! :laughing:

:scream::zipper_mouth::rofl:

Fantastic spotlight, thank you! I’m also impressed you manage to read so many books a year, I think I only manage about 2/3 recently. Great stuff :sunglasses:

Thanks

On a narrow country road I regularly drive, I came up behind a cyclist recently just before a blind corner on a steep hill climb. I thought I’d be chugging behind in 1st for ages, but, no, she powered round the corner and over the crest very smartly. 

As I passed I saw there was an electric assist contributing to the sweatless climb. The future’s bright, the future’s electric.

Great read there @Ohit!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Love the Spotlight 💡threads, might we have another one soon dya think, for 2021? 🤷‍♀️💡👍

Love the Spotlight 💡threads, might we have another one soon dya think, for 2021? 🤷‍♀️💡👍

Good shout @Bev Are there any willing volunteers? Maybe @Lapa or @Rds261189 or @Tommowales77 ? :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge

Voulenteer for what?

Ryan

We’ve all taken one step backwards. Looks like you’re tempted and might be next.

https://community.purepla.net/community-spotlight-19

Voulenteer for what?

Hey @Rds261189 

Nothing bad!

It’s a fun feature we like to run here in the community. There’s a list of questions such as what films/books you like, what you had for breakfast (!!), a carbon-saving tip. Just a way of getting to know eachother. 

I’ll DM you the questions. And of course it’s totally your choice! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Rds261189 

It looks like you've been volunteered

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Rds261189

It looks like you've been volunteered

Looks like it🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You’ll love it Ryan! Just for fun, and you’ve been an asset to the community lately, so now you have settled in, time to do some talking 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍👍🙃😉

Userlevel 7
Badge

You’ll love it Ryan! Just for fun, and you’ve been an asset to the community lately, so now you have settled in, time to do some talking 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍👍🙃😉

i have lol, Marc thought i was quick with my reply so he's putting it all together then publishing.  I've not been on a lot lately I'm doing house up

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s great to hear, Ryan! 👏👍👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Ohit great spotlight, we’d love to hear about the electric bike if you have one!

How on earth do you find time to read 25 books a year and watch telly?

@Rds261189 bare all...you know you want to!

Badge

@Ohit great spotlight, we’d love to hear about the electric bike if you have one!

We, between us (wife, baby child, me), currently have a Gocycle G2 and the Electric Brompton.

The Gocycle was the first one which I bought used about 4 years ago. It is what got me commuting to work about 3 out of 5 days a week right up until the first lockdown started last year.

The Electric Brompton we pre-ordered and got it straight away at launch. All the great things about Brompton’s folding mechanism and build quality is there with the added boost of a motor on the front wheel.
I used to sometimes drive to a public EV chargers and take the Brompton in the boot to do some cycling exercise round the area while the car charged.

(e.g. our local IKEA has free Type 1 EV chargers!)

I have been looking at getting a third, from the Moustache manufacturer - been toying between their different models to try and cover a wide range of use cases while still having the easy clip removable battery feature.

This is a great YouTube channel, and retailer, for e-bikes:

How on earth do you find time to read 25 books a year and watch telly?

We hardly watch TV. Just specific shows at focussed times. In fact, everything we watch is streamed, even live sport like the Formula 1 - I have not even plugged in the aerial for a “live” over the air feed.

Reading: just do it everyday, including audio books. Bone conducting headphones have been great since the baby arrived where I get through audio books while baby naps on me!

e.g. https://aftershokz.co.uk/

@Rds261189 bare all...you know you want to!

I am looking forward to this!

Reading: just do it everyday, including audio books. Bone conducting headphones have been great since the baby arrived where I get through audio books while baby naps on me!

e.g. https://aftershokz.co.uk/

Interesting about audiobooks @Ohit I went through a phase of using Audible. Loved it for a while. But then seemed to hit a bad run of books that were poorly narrated (usually by the author!) and that can really spoil it. Some have brilliant narrators, of course.

I think one of the bad ones was a Bill Bryson book he narrated himself. Great writer, terrible reader! 

Got any good recommendations?

Badge

Got any good recommendations?

Generally the audio versions of the regular paper ones I re-read:

Deep Work by Cal Newport

So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport

Ego Is The Enemy by Ryan Holiday

Start With Why by Simon Sinek

Quiet by Susan Cain

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker