Pure Planet Community spotlight January 2020 - 25 quid

This month the Pure Planet Community spotlight is shining on member @25 quid! 🌟

Full of tech knowledge, @25 quid is great at spotting areas of improvement, suggesting ideas, and keeping us on our toes 😁.

A few of you may have spotted that he's an avid skier 🎿 (as well as enjoying the apres-ski...), and that he's putting his refer a friend 25 quids to good use on Amazon without being caught out by fake reviews πŸ•΅!

Here he tells us some more about himself, including his idea of heaven and his top driving tip!

Thanks for agreeing to take part in this month's spotlight @25 quid and for being a top member of our CommunityπŸ‘.

The Community spotlight is a regular feature to find out a little bit more about who we are, what we like, and maybe what we don't like!

Other members who've taken part include @Jowl, @Gray4276, @Gwyndy, @Oakbank, @David j, @Bev plus many, many more!

If you'd like to take part in the Community spotlight series, or you'd like to nominate a fellow member, send me or Marc a DM anytime.

34 replies

Fantastic spotlight @25 quid
You just had to mention the fruit company πŸ˜‚
Well as it happens I am getting my 'free' year of TV+ (it came 'free' with a Macbook Air). Really enjoying the series 'Servant' and 'For All Mankind' is pretty good too.
I just can't get into The Morning Show, though I have heard it gets better.
Apparently the most viewed of all the new shows is 'Dickinson' πŸ™„
Good to know you're not missing out @Marc! I'm up-to-date on For All Mankind and loving the premise. I've been saving Servant up for some reason, I'll jump in soon I think...
Period dramas have always made me cringe, so I'm scared of Dickinson.
@Nat, thanks for the profile spotlight and calling out some of my previous contributions. Onwards and upwards in 2020!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
That was a great read, 25 notes! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

​​​​​​​Loved that! Real entertaining πŸ‘
Hey 25 notes,

All I can say is.....WOW !! 😎 That's a really cooool Community Spotlight πŸ˜‰πŸ™ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ––
Thanks for the nice feedback @Gray4276 and @Bev.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Interesting reading @25 quid. We share the love of scuba diving. πŸŸπŸ¦ˆπŸ‹
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Great spotlight 25, thanks, and an 8 -10% decrease in fuel consumption for coasting (I measured it) and better still you get to know the incline (or is it decline) of every part of your route...(handy if you intend to cycle).
2nd handy tip, try not to use the brakes... (and this really bugs me) why do people rush up to red lights and brake hard at the end, and they get impatient if behind you when you know you're going to have to stop or nearly stop and you're slowing down without using the brakes...
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ha ha I thought who is this dude calling himself 25 quid and you've played this out well and defo made a splash!
Very interesting spotlight and posts adding value with tecnical feedback etc.
woz;45826:
2nd handy tip, try not to use the brakes... (and this really bugs me) why do people rush up to red lights and brake hard at the end, and they get impatient if behind you when you know you're going to have to stop or nearly stop and you're slowing down without using the brakes...

Yeah @woz, you're right! Coasting leads to less or no need to brake. I love the feeling of arriving stationary at uphill lights without touching the middle peddle!
Scubaseahorse;45825:
Interesting reading @25 quid. We share the love of scuba diving. πŸŸπŸ¦ˆπŸ‹
@Scubaseahorse I had a suspicion we might share that interest. Quiz question, name the country:

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Ah @25 quid you chose my favourite place. The Azure Window in Gozo. Which unfortunately is no more after collapsing a few years ago.
My husband and I and daughter spent three wonderful years living there, in the 80's, my husband worked as a diving instructor and we lived in Marsalforn. When we came back to England we continued to return with our diving students each year for holidays throughout the 90's.
Last visit was 2010 to visit our friends and do a few of our favourite dives for old times sake. Do you still visit? We have fantastic memories of Gozo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Excellent spotlight 25. Great read .πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

​​​​​​
Scubaseahorse;45851:
Ah @25 quid you chose my favourite place. The Azure Window in Gozo. Which unfortunately is no more after collapsing a few years ago.

Yes, it's a spectacular spot @Scubaseahorse! I'd heard it was no more... I enjoyed my first open water dives in Malta in '89. Diving off the bottom of a huge cliff amongst the boulders at 18m (shelving to 30m) was amazing. I just recall my buddy and I both reported afterwards that every time we looked, we mostly saw just fins poking up in the air with heads buried amongst the crevices. Working our way back up the cliff wall covered in stunning life made efficient use of the end of our 12 litre tanks.

I tried to post more pics but the forum keeps crashing when I do that, so just imagine sky, cliffs, sea, and divers...

Chilling in a bay in Comino amongst the caves was amazing. We just snorkelled as I recall, as we'd drunk all our air in the Azure window on Gozo and just stopped off on our way back to our Maltese base. Probably best, as one of our number was a cave diver and we didn't want to get into anything as silly as that. We saved that for cliff jumping! OMG!
​​​​​​​
Unfortunately, never been back, but it was a fabulous place and what about all the churches! And the people loved Brits. Fab!
3372​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Ahh... decompressing........
25 quid;45842:
Yeah @woz, you're right! Coasting leads to less or no need to brake. I love the feeling of arriving stationary at uphill lights without touching the middle peddle!
@woz. Just remembered this recent highlight of my hypermiling fun. Not bad for a 3 cyclinder 1.5l 135bhp fun wagon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Happy days @25 quid
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi 25
​​​​​​​Just out of curiosity, next time you're coasting have a look at the rev counter, and see if it changes (drops slightly)next time you come to a complete stop.
Mine does, it's set to detect that the wheels are moving thus increases the revs slightly. (I said glance, I'm not responsible if you hit anything)
25 quid;45873:
@woz. Just remembered this recent highlight of my hypermiling fun. Not bad for a 3 cyclinder 1.5l 135bhp fun wagon.
woz;45922:
hi 25
​​​​​​​Just out of curiosity, next time you're coasting have a look at the rev counter, and see if it changes (drops slightly)next time you come to a complete stop.

Hi @woz,

Now, you've touched a fav aspect of coasting. Strap in!

Feet off-peddles in-gear, uses absolutley zero fuel if your engine revs are over about 1500 rpm. If the hill is steep enough, this is the best way to travel; select a gear that keeps the revs up, but doesn't slow you down too much.

If the hill is shallow, neutral is ok, but then revs behave just as you say. Fuel is used to keep the engine ticking over. Modern ECUs monitor road speed and raise the revs slightly above idle when moving to make sure there's enough stuff (vacuum, alternator etc) for normal safe operation.

Experience what I mean by finding a fairly flat area to gradually slow down (no brakes) in say 2nd or 3rd and feel the car speed up very slightly (actually not retard as much) as the revs drop below 1500 rpm. That's the ECU starting to add fuel back into the engine. Passengers nornmally don't feel this, but the driver can.

Old cars with a carburetor don't have this effect, unless fitted with a rev/throttle sensing fuel cut-off valve as was once a thing.

/geek πŸ€“

Oww, that was fun... And I didn't hit anything!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi 25
ahhh...misunderstanding, I should have mentioned to put it in neutral to do the test, sorry, yes I know it's a deliberate ecu thing, just wondered how the mini behaves in those circumstances.
(I'm not suggesting it's a safe way to drive)
Yes @woz I did understand that and will give it a go and confirm it next time I'm out. I would imagine it does as you say. I just couldn't resist putting my other thoughts out there. It's a (geeky) interesting, but often confusing topic. Let's see if anyone else joins in...
πŸš—
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Before and after shots of the Azure Window for you @25 quid

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Im not that geeky but happy with my usage on the waitrose run. Half of it is pothole filled country lanes so that dont help but still i am happy. 70+ is well impressive what is the average since owning the car, mines 45.3mpg.
Wow @Scubaseahorse! What a change. I imagined the column might have survived... Hope the people did too.
Scubaseahorse;46060:
Before and after shots of the Azure Window for you @25 quid
I think my average is similar @Jon1 (mid-40s). That particular trip was an exception!
Jon1;46063:
what is the average since owning the car, mines 45.3mpg.