Solved

My gas meter display has stopped working

• 27 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Just got back from holiday and tried to submit a meter reading but the display in blank. It is a smart meter that only has an A and B button and the instructions say to hold button A until the display shows the reading. Normally it would display a number of # signs and then a reading after a few seconds.

Now it is just blank.

The gas still seems to be flowing so I assume the display has failed.

WattBott is pretty useless and has sent a message to a real person apparently but does anyone know if there is a simple way to tell if I have a fault and secondly what happens to my meter reading now?? I run an Aga for about 9 months of the year that I turned off a week before we went on holiday so if they use my average to guess what the reading should be, it will probably be high....
icon

Best answer by woz 27 July 2019, 16:15

hi johngc
If it won't wake up you'll need someone to visit, go to wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there you'll get a reply within 24 hrs.(not weekend)
Hopefully you won't have to estimate, the meter should have continued to store readings even if the battery is low, I'm not a meter expert but I would have thought non-volatile memory would be somewhere near top of the list when it was designed.
In the event that it hasn't you'll need to argue the point about using the average later on.
When the meter fixer arrives if they are changing the meter ask if they are able to give you the reading or contact details so you can follow it up. Hopefully a new battery should cure but who knows.
So much for improved technology, they used to last 20 years...
Post back when this progresses, we never get to see the results! (and we like to learn...)

johngc;34077:
Hi,

Just got back from holiday and tried to submit a meter reading but the display in blank. It is a smart meter that only has an A and B button and the instructions say to hold button A until the display shows the reading. Normally it would display a number of # signs and then a reading after a few seconds.

Now it is just blank.

WattBott is pretty useless and has sent a message to a real person apparently but does anyone know if there is a simple way to tell if I have a fault and secondly what happens to my meter reading now?? I run an Aga for about 9 months of the year that I turned off a week before we went on holiday so if they use my average to guess what the reading should be, it will probably be high....
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi johngc
If it won't wake up you'll need someone to visit, go to wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there you'll get a reply within 24 hrs.(not weekend)
Hopefully you won't have to estimate, the meter should have continued to store readings even if the battery is low, I'm not a meter expert but I would have thought non-volatile memory would be somewhere near top of the list when it was designed.
In the event that it hasn't you'll need to argue the point about using the average later on.
When the meter fixer arrives if they are changing the meter ask if they are able to give you the reading or contact details so you can follow it up. Hopefully a new battery should cure but who knows.
Post back when this progresses, we never get to see the results! (and we like to learn...)

johngc;34077:
Hi,

Now it is just blank.

woz;34082:
hi johngc

Thank you. I eventually had a response from the customer service team after a few days.

They asked for photos of the current meter and after I sent those offered to arrange for both gas and electricity meters to be changed out for SMETS2 meters.

I have asked how my current reading will be taken but not had an answer yet....

Will keep you posted
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks John, I'm sure all will be well eventually. Your DD won't change in the meanwhile.
I don't think you'll have to but you can always dispute the reading if you think it's wrong, but then they may be able to extract the figure. I don't think you can know that yet but the meters are designed to be non-volatile so even if it has stopped measuring (unlikely) it should still retain a valid number.
If it helps I've hardly used any gas compared to normal in the last month. My spreadsheet tells me it's approx 1/3 of what I used the previous months, also you have proof you were away.
​I wouldn't worry at this stage.
The response should have been quicker than that.
Meters lasted 20 years, so that's progress then...
johngc;34435:
Thank you. I eventually had a response from the customer service team after a few days.

They asked for photos of the current meter and after I sent those offered to arrange for both gas and electricity meters to be changed out for SMETS2 meters.

I have asked how my current reading will be taken but not had an answer yet....

Will keep you posted
Good luck with getting new meters. My gas one died in February and the battery cannot be replaced - 6 years old. After much chasing Magnum (who do their installs came yesterday) and fitted an old fashioned dumb meter!!!!! At least it ain’t battery powered.