Why is gas so cheap?

• 3 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
The mission statement of Pure Planet reads 'Burning gas is not sustainable. While we work towards a renewable-only electric future, we carbon offset the gas you use.'

I'm living the 'future' now in my house. It's all electric, so to heat my home and provide hot water costs 325% ( say £430 compared to the £1489 for electric) more per unit than if I used the same amount of gas to do it! So how does the plan to stop making people use gas work if there is absolutely no financial incentive to do it as that's what seems to drive most people? My ponderings as I go put another layer on as daren't turn up the heating another degree!

2 replies

I'm no expert @JennyR68 but from what I read, you're going to be in a much better position soon.
There's a lot of uncertainty and it's going to run out eventually (and become a lot pricier before it does) as demand massively outweights supply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I think you meant everyone else is going to be in a worse position...
Marc;20036:
I'm no expert @JennyR68 but from what I read, you're going to be in a much better position soon.
There's a lot of uncertainty and it's going to run out eventually (and become a lot pricier before it does) as demand massively outweights supply.