UK commits to zero carbon emissions by 2050

• 12 June 2019
  • 9 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5649 replies
Some brilliant news today - the Government has committed to the UK having zero carbon emissions by 2050.:)

It's currently the lead story on the BBC.

The UK already had a 2050 target - to reduce emissions by 80%. That was agreed by MPs under the Climate Change Act in 2008, but will now be amended to the new goal.

Can we do it?! 😃

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Good news indeed.
If there is a will then there is a way,would be nice to see it happen in my life time,
Another piece of news that seems to of gained little attention. Canada to outlaw single use plastics by jan 2021.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Plus, I am sure I heard that for 18 days now our power has not needed to be generated by coal and this morning I hear that our gas consumption has gradually gone down over the last few years. We’ll get there. I will do my bit with my next car! And I see one country has come up with the idea of plugging your car in to charge but it also does the reverse, it feeds power back to the grid.

If I and my kids were young again I am sure I would have a generator system linked up to their pet hamster wheel!
Jon1;31130:
Good news indeed.
If there is a will then there is a way,would be nice to see it happen in my life time,
Another piece of news that seems to of gained little attention. Canada to outlaw single use plastics by jan 2021.

Well done the Canadians..... Good on you.... let's see which other countries take your lead..... Brilliant news.
We've issued a press release to media with a quote from our co-founder Steven Day:

“This announcement is a significant moment for our country.
“At Pure Planet, we have long believed that Britain can be powered by 100% renewable energy in our lifetimes, and our own research found 64% of people want to live in a carbon neutral Britain today so we are hopeful that politicians are finally paying attention.
“Achieving zero net carbon emissions by 2050 is a major commitment and will require us all to think about our impact on the planet.
“People can start today. One way we can all act now is to switch our energy to a green supplier. There are many other simple things which can be done. Many save money, and improve the quality of our lives and environment.”
G4RHL;31136:
And I see one country has come up with the idea of plugging your car in to charge but it also does the reverse, it feeds power back to the grid.

I believe (hope) it won't be too long before we're doing that in the UK too :)
It's Germany, I think, already doing this @G4RHL ?
I have to admit that this just made me laugh ;))

Marc;31165:
I have to admit that this just made me laugh ;))

Well, some news today. An committee of MPs has recommended that in order for the UK to meet its carbon reduction targets, personal vehicle use should be discouraged.
There's other recommendations, including incentives on building energy effcient homes, and bringing forward the ban of sales of diesel and petrol cars.
G4RHL;31136:
And I see one country has come up with the idea of plugging your car in to charge but it also does the reverse, it feeds power back to the grid.

I can just see the excuses, rather than my car ran out of petrol, I was saving the power grid.
Marc;36015:
Well, some news today. An committee of MPs has recommended that in order for the UK to meet its carbon reduction targets, personal vehicle use

Wouldn't it be easier to sell most of the UK to Trump and just call the remaining little field wheat the UK? Job done 😉