Tree Planting

Userlevel 4

Hi,

I swapped to PP because of the tree planting  it does to try and offset the gas used. 

Where are the trees planted?

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi,

I swapped to PP because of the tree planting  it does to try and offset the gas used. 

Where are the trees planted?

Nice one Hetfelle - have a great weekend

Userlevel 4

It’s a serious question. Where are they planted?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Hetfelle 

Have a look at this.

https://blog.purepla.net/rainforest-carbon-offsetting-and-you-caring-for-our-climate-2abb7085e758

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Whoops sorry I missed that so I sounded a bit off..

Yep I’ve seen PP post that info...I’ll have a gander and hopefully another member will get there first.

Sorry again...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Cheers Duppy from my end...

It was asked previously here:
Carbon Offset projects | Community (purepla.net)

Userlevel 4

Thankyou,for sending the blog.

Its very informative but I was wondering if PP plant any trees in the UK - since HS2 is devouring anything that resembles a bush, tree, woodland or forest?  

Userlevel 4

Thankyou StruttG, Duppy and Gwyndy, for the blogs and info.

But I just wondered if anyone knew if PP plants trees in the UK?

Userlevel 4

I take it that no-one does know. 

If not, could PP do a local tree planting project for schools to encourage the younger generation to take an interest in their environment and clean energy?

I take it that no-one does know. 

Unfortunately we are all limited to the information Pure Planet publish, so far as I at least, am aware, none of the ‘offset’ planting takes place in the UK, although I have memories of them planting some trees for other purposes.

If not, could PP do a local tree planting project for schools to encourage the younger generation to take an interest in their environment and clean energy?

Perhaps you should start a thread in testing and feedback or the Pure Planet ideas board?

Every tree that PP plants in the UK could have a name. The name of a PP member! The name remains with the tree for as long as the member remains with PP or it could be permanent. It might encourage more members.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Hetfelle Great idea.Trees have my vote, (and HS2 angers me)

@woz HS2 may anger but as the email came in with your response I was about to renew my railcard! Now wouldn't it be nice if with HS2 in place, passengers could see mile after mile of Pure Planet trees?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL Great ideas of our time, lets spend over £100 Billion (I ran out of zeroes) on destroying large swathes of the country so people can knock 30 mins off their journey time (and consume 30% more energy in the process (my estimate due to  friction losses)). 

There’s an idea, one tree planted for every railcard renewal...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Awesome idea @Hetfelle :thumbsup_tone1:

Userlevel 4

Thankyou!

I’m glad that you think it’s a good idea. I will put it forward to the PP ideas board.

Thankyou!

I’m glad that you think it’s a good idea. I will put it forward to the PP ideas board.

Maybe Pure Planet could link it to this somehow (assuming it’s still happening)?
Fifty million trees could be planted in a new Northern Forest | Community (purepla.net)

This is a wonderful idea @Hetfelle :slight_smile:

I’d love to get something going here in the community along these lines.

The Amazon carbon offsetting is significant though. It may not feel v local, but it’s the ‘lungs’ of the planet, or so they say. Check out this BBC read

Userlevel 4

I think the tree planting that PP does in other countries is vital, there's no doubt about that. Just that the young generation in our primary schools don't get to hear about this. They could learn at a very early age understanding the importance  of trees and how they affect our ecosystem and also about the importance of clean energy. If PP could do some kind of education in schools, eg. Planting trees program and giving talks, good could only come out of it. I just feel this is a golden opportunity and it shouldn't be wasted.

Time is running out to educate people and to change attitudes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Hetfelle 

“Just that the young generation in our primary schools don't get to hear about this.” 

Are you sure? Genuinely interested to know.

Stephen

Userlevel 4

Just asked my 3 children if at school they were taught anything or discussed about tree planting projects to offset carbon, here or in Peru or Borneo...

Nope.

They did however, at school plant some native bushes but most died due to lack of aftercare (not being watered.)

I just think going into schools to teach about carbon offsetting, importance of treeplanting, clean energy to these children, is a must to educate for our future survival.

I just think going into schools to teach about carbon offsetting, importance of treeplanting, clean energy to these children, is a must to educate for our future survival.

It should be on the curriculum. I’m sure it will soon if it’s not already?

@Hetfelle thought I’d jump in here to let you know we recently posted about the trees Pure Planet planted just outside of Bath at the beginning of this year: 

Maybe one day we can use our PP woods to educate children :thinking: that would be great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Hetfelle thought I’d jump in here to let you know we recently posted about the trees Pure Planet planted just outside of Bath at the beginning of this year: 

Maybe one day we can use our PP woods to educate children :thinking: that would be great!

👍