Solved

Meaning of "carbon offset"

• 24 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi. What does it mean for gas to be "carbon offset"?

icon

Best answer by Marc 24 May 2021, 14:48

Welcome to the community @LeaF44 

Good question!

As well as the thread @Angelabikerbabe has linked to, check out this guide from our community FAQs :slight_smile:

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

Don't know whether this similar thread can answer your question: 

Welcome to the community @LeaF44 

Good question!

As well as the thread @Angelabikerbabe has linked to, check out this guide from our community FAQs :slight_smile:

Userlevel 4

Very controversial topic! In a nutshell, carbon offsetting is typically paying someone to take some carbon out of the air that equal to the emissions your activity causes.

It's controversial because "bad" activity can be "justified" with money. E.g. if I want to drive a fat SUV in the city (and be able to sleep at night) I just pay for carbon to be reduced elsewhere... What I should be doing is reducing my carbon emissions!

Userlevel 4

Ps. Think twice before considering buying an SUV.

Ps. Think twice before considering buying an SUV.

Definitely @danlovesdogs 

Even if you’ve lots of dogs to transport :slight_smile:

But carbon-offsetting does, at least, help to repair the damage, right? I mean, gas isn’t renewable, but it doesn’t seem like the UK is ready (anywhere close to!) to switch it off. So, offsetting the impact is a positive?

Userlevel 4

If you really need an SUV try to go for something efficient. Low MPG (or electric) should be a kwy criteria.

Offsetting does help to value positive work that others are doing (if it's done right). And for gas where it is difficult to change the heating for homes quickly, it is a good option. Reducing demand (insulation, turning the thermostat down) should come first.

Userlevel 4

I have my gas boiler put in only a few years ago. If I was making the decision to change my storage heaters today, I think I would go for electric / heat pump.

It's amazing how quickly the economics are changing as well as (at least my) consumer preference for climate action.

I have my gas boiler put in only a few years ago. If I was making the decision to change my storage heaters today, I think I would go for electric / heat pump.

You may like this other thread too @danlovesdogs about proposed phasing out and ban on gas boilers:thumbsup:

It's amazing how quickly the economics are changing as well as (at least my) consumer preference for climate action.

Yep. And I get the impression that younger generations - children now becoming young adults - place a very high value on sustainability. Which is what we need to hear! They’re the future, or so I’m told! :laughing: