Solved

Wind power

Can anyone tell me why in Scotland are we paying so much for electricity in Scotland when we are nearly self sufficient in electricity by wind power and Hydro power?
icon

Best answer by Mavis1 27 June 2019, 13:08

Hi billy.
Where the energy is produced makes no differance to the price. All the energy generated gets fed into the national grid, energy supplier then have to buy what all there customers need and are forced to pay the market price. Therefore the cost of the actual energy is the same for everyone, variations appear due to location as the distrbution costs are set by your regional network supplier and they vary according to how much it costs to maintain cable pylons etc etc in your area.
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Billy C

Not sure of the reasons for regional variations, but they vary considerably across the UK - "residents in North Scotland, the South West, Merseyside & North Wales and South Wales all pay more than 15p/kWh on average to supply electric to their homes—unit costs in these areas are 8%, 8%, 6% and 5% more than the UK average, respectively."
More info here: https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-electricity-kwh-uk

Stephen

- - - Updated - - -

Found out some more:

"Most energy plans have different rates for different areas. For example, a plan's electricity unit cost in Canterbury could be 14.06p, rising to 14.39p in London, 15.25p in Cardiff, and 16.55p in Belfast.

This is sometimes referred to as the "postcode lottery", and it boils down to three major factors:

How much the energy company sells in your area
How much it buys from generators in your area
The different charges imposed on the energy supplier by the local distribution network in your area

Which areas in the UK are most expensive for energy?
Merseyside and the South of Wales have some of the highest energy prices on average.

Which areas in the UK have the cheapest energy?
The North of Scotland and East Midlands have the lowest on average."

Interesting!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi billy.
Where the energy is produced makes no differance to the price. All the energy generated gets fed into the national grid, energy supplier then have to buy what all there customers need and are forced to pay the market price. Therefore the cost of the actual energy is the same for everyone, variations appear due to location as the distrbution costs are set by your regional network supplier and they vary according to how much it costs to maintain cable pylons etc etc in your area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Legacy infrastructure costs set by government and generators for regional variations, but then the same argument could be made for any area, as jon1 says it's all fed into the grid.
You should direct your question at Nicola Sturgeon, but who knows, it may be on her to-do list if independence happens...
Billy C;32143:
Can anyone tell me why in Scotland are we paying so much for electricity in Scotland when we are nearly self sufficient in electricity by wind power and Hydro power?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Just realised my research gave two different answers - one website said North of Scotland is more expensive, the other that it's lowest on average. That's the internet for you!
Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just back from Asda 🛒😓, phew just about to unpack, but quickly logging in to say why why why do men (especially) think it’s perfectly acceptable to walk behind you as you’re browsing the vegan sausage, to let off the loudest, longest fart in history 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳! Thank goodness for masks I say 😷👍😳😁😁😁😁! Still in disbelief! 

Wish I could help you there @Bev Alas… I cannot

But I did want to say that’s the best post EVER! :laughing: made my day! thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Careful guys, don’t laugh too much!

Thats FT News - Broadcast ends

Just back from Asda 🛒😓, phew just about to unpack, but quickly logging in to say why why why do men (especially) think it’s perfectly acceptable to walk behind you as you’re browsing the vegan sausage, to let off the loudest, longest fart in history 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳! Thank goodness for masks I say 😷👍😳😁😁😁😁! Still in disbelief! 

Wouldn’t it be worse if you were tailgating them!? 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That explains the price difference, perhaps there just isn’t enough farting in Scotland…

(methane capture)

1:
‘Self-Sufficiency’ is not the same as ‘Cheaper to generate’ - in fact the very nature of ‘Self Sufficiency’ almost demands that some things will be ‘more expensive’ because you aren’t buying them where they are cheapest.

2:

The bigger the market, the more of something can be manufactured - the more the ‘start-up, infrastructure, production’ costs can be shared = the lower the end unit price.

Which leads to:

3:
Scotland’s population density is 65 persons per square kilometer.
England’s population density is 407 people per square kilometer.

Therefore, as a very, very, rough average (as people aren’t spread equally) Scotland need’s 6 times as much infrastructure per person to transmit the power, increasing transportation costs.

National Grid or no National Grid, those facts don’t really change, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Gwyndy 

Also it’s colder in Scotland, so not only is the distribution more sparse but more energy has to be delivered per person, which increases the distributors costs.(I think?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

A limerick for this thread (which would be funnier if it was Ireland, but still...)

In Scotland they needed some power
Too many a killowatt hour
But the cost of their fuel
was excessively cruel
and that’s why the Scots are so dour

(I don’t mean it but I needed a rhyme)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A limerick for this thread (which would be funnier if it was Ireland, but still...)

In Scotland they needed some power
Too many a killowatt hour
But the cost of their fuel
was excessively cruel
and that’s why the Scots are so dour

(I don’t mean it but I needed a rhyme)

🤣