Why has Pure Planet gone so expensive?

I’ve done some investigation and got quotes from Igloo, Green and also Outfox the Market and they all come up much cheaper. They also all have a 100% fuel mix. So why have PP prices rocketed?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Scarlets Bloke 

were the quotes for the variable tariff or a fixed tariff (and were the no. of units the same)?

If the quotes were for the variable the rates can change (usually with a months notice in the case of those companies)

Thanks, yes I put the annual units in for the comparison quote and it was comparing across all variable tariffs including PP’s variable tariff. Very disappointing as I was very happy with PP. I am likely to change provider on this basis, just hoping that PP can prove me wrong before I go for it in the next few days.

Be aware @Scarlets Bloke that prices are rising across the industry. So if you switch, keep an eye out for your new rate changing soon...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks, yes I put the annual units in for the comparison quote and it was comparing across all variable tariffs including PP’s variable tariff. Very disappointing as I was very happy with PP. I am likely to change provider on this basis, just hoping that PP can prove me wrong before I go for it in the next few days.

@Scarlets Bloke 

my take:

It could be a significant number of pounds a year different, depending on your consumption and even if they do increase  their prices you’ll have had some time at the lower rates, where you would have the option to switch out  BUT they will increase their rates it’s almost a certainty, and those that stay at an unsustainable rate are more likely to fail.

Bear in mind that this period is when you use the least heating energy so the savings will be low until Sept/Oct, by which time anything could happen to variable prices.

I just checked (it will vary according to area), PFP are an outlier at around 9.5% cheaper, I can’t see them sustaining that rate, but see comments above, igloo is about 5% cheaper in my area (variable)  and outfox saving is less and negligible  (and they did have a very poor reputation which seems to  have improved somewhat)

So that leaves 2 companies which are cheaper. Both companies prices are predicated on having/getting smart meters, although it may not matter short term if you don’t have them.

and in answer to your question

Thanks 25 quid and woz. I’m aware prices are rising across the industry so I’m taking that into account, no problem. I’m looking at their variable rates rather than fixed so I can jump ship again when tariffs become more equal, so if PP is competitive at that point then I’ll come back with no exit fees to worry about. PP’s variable tariff is also expensive so no point in considering that. 

Woz, the prices are for the annual usage rather than summer usage so there’s nothing to  get caught out with there. PFP are indeed the cheapest for my area but although they advertise as 100% renewables, their fuel mix is actually not. Their purchase of REGO certificates allow them to say they are renewable. So, PFP are O.U.T.!

My considerations at the moment are Igloo, Green and Outfox the Market. No decision made yet but I’m still looking at their prices over the next week or two. As mentioned, above, they are all variable tariffs with no tie in or exit fees. 

I could stay with PP on the anticipation of suppliers raising their prices but I could still be waiting in 6 or 12 months by which time I could have saved money. Or….. I could switch now and I may just have to switch back after a month or two! Who knows...?

Userlevel 7
Badge

I've just renewed my contract with PP for 24 months and other companies were coming back higher than PP.  As most people know the gas and electricity prices can fluctuate and I only need to pay £5 more a month to PP but apart from that I'm happy to do as the other companies were looking for much more a month.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I’d be happy to stay if I only had to pay £5 extra a month but for me it’s increased by £20 per month. So, I could switch and like you, only pay £5 extra a month with no tie in or exit fees. Appreciate your reply, thanks!

Badge +3

My fixed tariff is also coming to an end and I’ve ..er.. money saving experted the market. 
there were some significantly cheaper deals (variable) from new/unknowns. Igloo and outfox the market were cheaper on variable and perhaps slightly on fixed. 

The benefits staying with PP are the trust I have on them and their ethics, green energy and the community. The slight premium was worth it for me. 

my last 1 year fixed was before prices increased significantly so I am paying about £20 a month more. Bit this would have happened regardless. Plus last years usage doubled due to COVID and WFH. I’m hoping that can decrease again in future !

The old adage, you get what you pay for. Our grocery shopping is done at a large well known supermarket but occasionally we are in a different area and close to another well known name. We know the product will be slightly dearer, but we also know the quality is far better. With PP, when I fixed earlier this month it came up the cheapest for me apart from BG and Scottish Power. They were only about £50 cheaper and not worth changing. With their variable quote there is a big risk of increases later this year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

….

Woz, the prices are for the annual usage rather than summer usage so there’s nothing to  get caught out with there.

@Scarlets Bloke 

I think there is and I’m not sure if  my point about being in the warmer period has made it’s mark. 

If you choose a variable tariff and prices rise (say for example they were to rise at the start of October) any savings you made will be much lower if you use much less energy when it’s warmer. That has to be factored into the decision.