Question

Were you with Tonik Energy before they ceased trading?

• 8 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 8844 replies

I thought this thread might be a good idea as there may be a few people looking at PP who were with Tonik Energy so it might be a good idea to keep those posts in the same thread.

As a starter here is the Ofgem announcement explaining what Tonik customers should do.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-protects-customers-failed-supplier-tonik-energy

6 replies

Userlevel 2

I was with them and they were the worst supplier I’ve ever dealt with. 3 months after signing up my opening electricity reading still was’t on my account and they have never given me a bill. I sent them 25+ support requests asking them to sort it out but they ignored every one.

I’d signed up to switch to Pure Planet just before before they stopped tading so it looks like I will avoid the early exit fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@srf739 

If you switched out more than 49 days before your fixed term contract ended and before they folded I suppose the administrators could insist on payment of the early exit fee. I doubt they will, but you raise an interesting point. hmmm….

Userlevel 2

I think it normally applies from when you actually leave doesn’t it? My account has just been switched over to Scottish Power and I don’t switch to Pure Planet until next week,

I was so fed up with Tonik that I switched knowing there would be an exit fee so I don’t mind paying it if they charge it, but it would be a nice bonus if they didn’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think it normally applies from when you actually leave doesn’t it? My account has just been switched over to Scottish Power and I don’t switch to Pure Planet until next week,

I was so fed up with Tonik that I switched knowing there would be an exit fee so I don’t mind paying it if they charge it, but it would be a nice bonus if they didn’t.

It’s extremely unclear whether  it applies from when you leave, if it does it’s a very well kept secret because it would then be suggested that the 49 days should really be 49+17, and I’ve never seen that suggested.

This Ofgem webpage is little help in that regard.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2018/12/guide_to_the_customer_communications_rule_changes.pdf

Userlevel 2

I’ve always thought it was when you actually switched out. When I switched from Scottish Power to Tonik I switched over about 46 days before myfixed term eded and my final bill didn;t have any exit fees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ve always thought it was when you actually switched out. When I switched from Scottish Power to Tonik I switched over about 46 days before myfixed term eded and my final bill didn;t have any exit fees.

@srf739 You may be right but it’s very unclear and hinges on what the words “the right to switch” mean.

I think companies would be onto a loser if they argued that it meant otherwise than what your experience was (an ofgem dispute would cost them more that it would be worth) but the point is, they could, and it begs the question that if it applies to the actual date of the switch then it would not be 49 days, it would be 49+x days where x is the minimum viable time it takes to switch (I don’t think it can in practice be less than 17 days), so why don’t they quote 66 days?