Solved

Utility Warehouse

• 28 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Anybody come across or used Utility Warehouse? It is a company that provides all services in one place. Broadband, mobile, gas and electric. It seems to try to tell you it is cheaper but I am not convinced. I tried to get a quote but I couldn’t unless I agreed an appointment date for someone to call, ostensibly to connect my phone line despite my saying I have my own modem and router. That made me uncomfortable and I could not get a quote for gas and electric without accepting the appointment! What they were quoting for broadband was more than I pay now. They will try to argue that whilst that might be so I will save on other products - gas, electric, etc. I remain far from convinced.

However, PP could look at this concept itself and perhaps consider offers to provide all services?!

icon

Best answer by Strutt G 28 June 2021, 10:56

Anybody come across or used Utility Warehouse? It is a company that provides all services in one place. Broadband, mobile, gas and electric. It seems to try to tell you it is cheaper but I am not convinced. I tried to get a quote but I couldn’t unless I agreed an appointment date for someone to call, ostensibly to connect my phone line despite my saying I have my own modem and router. That made me uncomfortable and I could not get a quote for gas and electric without accepting the appointment! What they were quoting for broadband was more than I pay now. They will try to argue that whilst that might be so I will save on other products - gas, electric, etc. I remain far from convinced.

However, PP could look at this concept itself and perhaps consider offers to provide all services?!

Um, re UW, think this was discussed several months ago. Personally I would not give over to a broker kind of service whilst capable, and have enough time to manage own affairs. Keeping a grip on the details is too much fun and saves money all round without a third party.

Most marshmellows (nearly said peeps) that post here are in command of the detail and not interested in grey areas, and no doubt many others too. On the flip side as I get older then I can see a reason and how a need may arise for such services to make life easier. These kind of services are on the increase, for example HL are offering to manage savings along with their other brokerage. I question their approach, but once again on the flip, I can see a good reason for it. Its all about who you can trust, and who you can trust today may not be the same down the line. But its an interesting topic. Who to trust, I’ve got to get an IFA and find they are all biased and not so clever, but thats another topic. Not sure I’d like it if PP offered these services, but never say never. I’ve been reducing my services with Virgin and recently realised that if I dumped virgin broadband I’d have to get another email address 90 days later. Its not major and just a few hours work, but made me think.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Um, re UW, think this was discussed several months ago. Personally I would not give over to a broker kind of service whilst capable, and have enough time to manage own affairs. Keeping a grip on the details is too much fun and saves money all round without a third party.

Most marshmellows (nearly said peeps) that post here are in command of the detail and not interested in grey areas, and no doubt many others too. On the flip side as I get older then I can see a reason and how a need may arise for such services to make life easier. These kind of services are on the increase, for example HL are offering to manage savings along with their other brokerage. I question their approach, but once again on the flip, I can see a good reason for it. Its all about who you can trust, and who you can trust today may not be the same down the line. But its an interesting topic. Who to trust, I’ve got to get an IFA and find they are all biased and not so clever, but thats another topic. Not sure I’d like it if PP offered these services, but never say never. I’ve been reducing my services with Virgin and recently realised that if I dumped virgin broadband I’d have to get another email address 90 days later. Its not major and just a few hours work, but made me think.

@Strutt G I agree. If capable why get a composite all in one yet such could be competitive if they wanted to be. I don’t have a landline. Well I do in the sense that a cable comes to the house to provide broadband, but there is no telephone connected. Saved me quite a bit. I could save more at present going full FTTP but am locked in a contract. Not viable.

However, provides gas and electricity, well it doesn’t, it sells it but you k is what I mean. A link with say EE and it may well be able to provide a competitive package.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Strutt G I agree. If capable why get a composite all in one yet such could be competitive if they wanted to be. I don’t have a landline. Well I do in the sense that a cable comes to the house to provide broadband, but there is no telephone connected. Saved me quite a bit. I could save more at present going full FTTP but am locked in a contract. Not viable.

However, provides gas and electricity, well it doesn’t, it sells it but you k is what I mean. A link with say EE and it may well be able to provide a competitive package.

@G4RHL Yep it could be a win win package and to be further explored….

We’ve got the phone, but hardly use it apart from the weekend when its free v the free mins on the mobile. On our current deal it was not advantaged by not having it stand alone as a (basic) Broad Band package which works fine and no need for FTTP.  Smart TV’s work better though with d links.